Dragon Age: Inquisition

Yeah, because my dislike of Philippa and saying her being blinded was deserved was obviously purely based on her being a woman.  It couldn't possibly have anything do do with her being manipulative and murdering people to gain power then leaving innocents to take the fall.

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Not if those words are offensive or based around bigotry, you are learning Malc. We will make a liberal of you yet :)

Well, hard to not be offensive if you're essentially insulting someone.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Philippa did kill Radovid's father, humiliate his mother, usurp the power of the Redanian monarchy and try to kill the one man who found out about all this (old Djikstra.) To my mind Radovid's restraint and commitment to a lawful trial and then a lawful burning were quite admirable. That said yes, she is a fine example of a powerful and clever individual, whose plans for taking over Aedirn are quite noble, even if the means used are vile.

Her blinding and future execution are as just as anything you'll find in that setting.

Edit: I was a little less shocked I admit because I know that Sorceress' can regrow their eyes over time, as happened in the books. That and I expect that such a magnificent character will return in some manner, though I believe Borch Three Jackdaws might want a word with her.

Interesting. I had no idea sorceresses had regenerative abilities. I am glad I didn't know that at the time, it would have taken some of the power from that scene.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Not if those words are offensive or based around bigotry, you are learning Malc. We will make a liberal of you yet :)

Well, hard to not be offensive if you're essentially insulting someone.

Talk about what a character does, not what they are. Unless they're abominations. I don't think one has to be so progressive that you can't call out demon possession.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I would say that Philippa is definitely a bitch, and I am pretty sure I can do that without hating on the wimminz. I would go further and say that some female characters in Twitcher are whores, but seeing as those particular characters sold sex in a brothel it is appropriate.

I get the sense we are beating on the same deceased horse we were back when that (fake?)Gaider post popped up, so I think we should move the discussion back to the game or migrate to the Russia thread.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Right.

My point was that when you use an obscenity or slur that has negative connotations toward a specific group, and you're talking about the death/torture/punishment of a member of that group, I'll tend to focus on that word. I might decide it reflects poorly on you.

Does the average internet denizen think this way? I don't believe so. Really, on the average game message board, saying that the bitch deserved it, when talking about Philippa, will likely be seen as innocuous.

At the same time, you might want to know how the words you're using may effect someone's reading of your posts.

• Like 2

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Guess we need a list of approved words, then. :lol:

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guess we need a list of approved words, then. :lol:

Malc I'm more than happy for you to PM me any posts that you make and I'll confirm if they are acceptable. Then you can post it, as time goes on you will realize what you should or shouldn't say. It won't take long :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Right.My point was that when you use an obscenity or slur that has negative connotations toward a specific group, and you're talking about the death/torture/punishment of a member of that group, I'll tend to focus on that word. I might decide it reflects poorly on you.Does the average internet denizen think this way? I don't believe so. Really, on the average game message board, saying that the bitch deserved it, when talking about Philippa, will likely be seen as innocuous.At the same time, you might want to know how the words you're using may effect someone's reading of your posts.

I'll give you "****" for Anders, but I'm sure anyone who has played TW2(and is thus properly informed) will understand than when someone calls Philippa a bitch, it is solely because she is a manipulative monster that does terrible things and not because she is a woman.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I guarantee that if I had referred to a heterosexual male character with an obscentiy (such as a-hole or <word referring to genitalia>) then no one would have so much as raised an eyebrow.  It's all good if straight men are spat upon, but heaven forbid if one should use a derogatory term toward a female, one well deserving of said derogatory term, I might add, or worse yet, someone falling into the LGBTI group.  Obviously then said person must be a monster.  

Now, who exactly is being discriminatory?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's all good if straight men are spat upon, but heaven forbid if one should use a derogatory term toward a female, one well deserving of said derogatory term, I might add, or worse yet, someone falling into the LGBTI group.

I'm not aware of insults that target straight men specifically because of their masculinity or their being straight. Granted, I'm not a native speaker and I honestly have only a perfunctory knowledge of discourse analysis, so I'm not going to tackle whether the word Maria Caliban questioned should be used or not, but the point to me seemed rather clear and has nothing to do with protecting women, gays, intersex, or what have you, from being called out as awful, awful people.

• Like 3

"When someone suggests a woman being mutilated is okay because she's a bitch, c***, or whore, my initial reaction is that their opinion of the character is strongly influenced by their misogyny. Likewise, if you stated you Anders was a f** that got what was coming to him, I'd probably assume you were homophobic despite the fact that finally getting to kill Anders was a high point of DA 2 for me."

This is ridiculous. Okay if you call a scumbag male a bastard I will have to assume you hate all men and are bashing all men as well. Some women are bitches and some women are awesome. Some men are bastards and some men are awesome. DEAL WITH IT.

Saying so doesn't make one sexist.

As for the gay slur, I agree that is uncool and I personally don't use it but someone who doesn't use doesn't neccessaruily mean they are a homophobe espicially cosnideirng I hear quite a few gays use that kind of language when insulting hterosexuals. L0L

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I guarantee that if I had referred to a heterosexual male character with an obscentiy (such as a-hole or ) then no one would have so much as raised an eyebrow.

But if you'd called a white guy a "cracker," a few eyebrows would have definitely raised.
  • Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Here ? Heh, hardly. Still though, is an interesting art, name-calling.

Edited by Malcador

I guarantee that if I had referred to a heterosexual male character with an obscentiy (such as a-hole or <word referring to genitalia>) then no one would have so much as raised an eyebrow.

But if you'd called a white guy a "cracker," a few eyebrows would have definitely raised.

In my experiences, no.

My point is this, the derogatory term I used, which was all asterisks, by the way, was leveled at a character who is obviously a villain and a murderer.  If I had called Mother Teresa a derogatory term then I would understand people finding it distasteful being accusatory.  Would anyone by up in arms if I had called Charles Manson a derogatory term?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Let's get back on track, ****suckers. Oh, wait...

You first, you asterisk-ampersand-hash-hash-exclamation-tilde-percent sign

Clapping-gif-tumblr-i19.gif

So, umm, yeah.  I'm going to be one of those few people that thinks they should just go the full Shepard for combat.  Obviously isometric, IE-style full party control combat ain't gonna happen, as much as most of us would like that.  If they go all the way third-person actiony combat and have your companions act like squad-mates in ME, I think that would actually work.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

So, umm, yeah.  I'm going to be one of those few people that thinks they should just go the full Shepard for combat.  Obviously isometric, IE-style full party control combat ain't gonna happen, as much as most of us would like that.  If they go all the way third-person actiony combat and have your companions act like squad-mates in ME, I think that would actually work.

I'm totally ok with this if they can manage to pull it off. 

I really enjoy Mass Effect combat. I don't know if ranged cover based combat will translate well into hack and slash, but I'm all for a good action combat and not a mish mash. 

I'm totally ok with this if they can manage to pull it off. 

I really enjoy Mass Effect combat. I don't know if ranged cover based combat will translate well into hack and slash, but I'm all for a good action combat and not a mish mash. 

The problem being that party combat doesn't work well in single player hack&slash.

But if they can pull it off just give me the option to skip all the stupid messing about with story and NPCs and I'm in.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/08/12/dragon-age-inquisition-s-morrigan-past-and-present.aspx

New Game Informer article, it's about Morrigan. First page is character history, second is what's in store for DA:I.

I'm late to this party but my God, could that article be anymore fawning and unctuous?  What kind of game journalism is this?  Why don't they just let BW write some ad copy and send it in?

Edited by decado
  • Like 1