Rosbjerg

Okay.

Saints Row is ****!

Sleeping Dougws is ****!

GTA rawks!

Fight's on!

Oh, oh it's on now!  It's SO on!

/winds up to throw giant haymaker

Eh, you play whatever games you like, I'll play whatever games I like.

//shrugs

///shakes Morgoth's hand and walks away

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sleeping Dogs is great just for being able to break limbs in painful manners. Or throwing people into fan blades.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sleeping Dogs was good for the atmosphere of the setting and the story. The martial arts combat was also entertaining, but the rest of the mechanics and game play tended to be so so. Good fun, and one that would be interesting to see a sequel to.

GTA had fun elements up to a point. I have to admit I reached a point in GTAIV where I couldn't push myself forward. I stopped playing it for about a year and when I wen tback.. yeah, just couldn't find the will to push ahead anymore. Something about it just wasn't engaging or fun to me.

Saints Row (2 & 3).. juvenile crazy. But really quite entertaining if you can get into that mindset. Take none of it seriously and just have a blast.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I think that GTA5 trailer looks.. like my dream game come true, basically. And I hated GTA4!

High hopes for this.

I have to be honest this was the type of response I was expecting. I am still surprised by the general desultory and lacklustre comments from  most people. I think Rockstar have an absolute winner with this game. I can't ask for anything more from the series. There seem to be so many new things to do apart from the exciting main storyline :)

The bicycle racing part alone sold me 100% on this game. That just looks like too much fun!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I don't know how I feel about that switching protagonist stuff. The fact that they do things when you're not controlling them gives me the feeling that you're just watching a movie (that you can interact with) of the characters as opposed to actually being them.

Also based on everything I've seen/read I'm definitely more excited for SR4.

I have no doubt that the game will be amazing from a design perspective, but there really is only one question it needs to answer and that is: why bother doing all those things in game in the first place?

GTA games have become progressively less fun over the years, and although I really liked GTA IV's story the fun I had with the series peaked in Vice City.

This is just... boring. GTA III was mindblowing fun in its time but there is a limit on how many times you can repackage it and sell it again. All they've done is stress realism and its not helping.

Plus Rockstar is no longer the sole purveyor of the whole sandbox crime thing, which I feel has become  a dead end. Much like Bethesda's role playing games.

But then, there are always the new kids. I guess GTA was the teenager game, but not something that can (or maybe even should) be entertaining to a grown up.

Pretty much agreeing with you, well apart from the personal impact of 3. I didn't finish 3 or 4 (making Vice City the only GTA game I've actually played to the "end") and especially 4 started feeling like work towars the end... LA Noire I enjoyed a lot in spite of the terrible interrogation system and the food poisoning I had when I played it, so I think it's less of a genre issue than I've always suspected. I might take a stab at this, if for no other reason than the total drought the rest of the year seems to be displaying.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'd probably get hooked enough to play a large part of the main story at the very least, for as long as it keeps my attention, but I'm also likely to drop it about a dozen hours in so its probably not the best purchase for someone on a budget.

My gaming time is so limited anyway that I'm reduced to playing only those games I really really want to play, and those are the games that in general have quality story content I can tackle in linear fashion. Sandbox gameplay wastes too much time on irrelevant stuff (kind of the point, but still).

Its probably a matter of changing tastes too, my third person action game experience was at its highest with the holy trinity of the time: Max Payne - Vice City - Mafia. The first two I played 5-6 times, the third one only once but it raised the bar on action game storytelling in a single stroke. After that my interest shifted to role playing and never returned for anything but a short stretch of time.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Getting back to the GTA V trailer, and sandbox games in general.  I will confess that there's a bunch of seemingly cool, fun stuff in the GTA V trailer, and I really hope that it is cool, fun stuff, but the GTA IV trailers had me thinking, wow this looks like a bunch of cool, fun stuff too, and in practice it didn't turn out that way, for me at least.  I guess I'm still jaded from GTA IV.  I get that Niko had been through a horrible war, desensitized to killing, and had PTSD, or whatever, but that didn't in any way endear him to me.  To me, he was still a heartless, cold-blooded killer that just stared murdering people as soon as he got to America.  The game was chock full of truly unlikable characters, with a few moments of levity, like Brucie's antics, and forced me to watch cut-scene after cut-scene featuring said unlikable characters that I could never grow to care about.  Then it put me into missions that were boring slogs, forced me to use wonky mechanics, kept me from having the tools to have fun for many hours, then once I had the tools and city at my disposal, constantly interrupted me when I was trying to have fun (I know I could turn the phone off, but still).  The sandbox in GTA IV was crafted well enough, and the story was solid, but it felt like the game was constantly actively trying to keep me from having fun.

By contrast, Steelport in SR3 is nowhere near as well crafted a sandbox.  The story isn't nearly as good (nor does it even make sense much of the time), and it's much shorter.  However, the game just drops you into this sandbox (literally), then dumps a bunch of crazy weapons and stuff on you and says "have at it".  It feels like SR3 allows you to have fun, in fact it encourages you to do so.  There's no pretense of gritty realism, no incessantly nagging characters actively trying to pull me away from having fun, and the game doesn't withhold the tools of chaos from me.  Heck, I'm able to call in air strikes from pretty early on in the game.  Air strikes!

The reason I turn to games like Saints Row 2 & 3 and Just Cause 2 for my sandboxing enjoyment these days is that they give me what drew me to this type of game in the first place.  Here's a sandbox, here's a bunch of tools to use (some really over the top ones in the cases of SR3 and JC2), feel free to go on a rampage and push the limits of just how much **** you can **** up.  It seems like GTA has more and more been moving away from that and toward cut-scene after cut-scene of "gripping drama".  I don't want cut-scene after cut-scene of gripping drama, I want to have fun.  Please let me have fun GTA V, please let me have fun.

Edit:  GAH!  Wrong thread!  This is what happens when you don't get much sleep and you have multiple tabs open.  

:facepalm:

Could a mod pretty please move this to the Random Video Game News thread?  Thanks in advance and apologies for the faux pas.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Okay.

Saints Row is ****!

Sleeping Dougws is ****!

GTA rawks!

Fight's on!

Last good Blizzard game was Blackthorne.

It was the Lost Vikings you n00b.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I love the Saints Row games, but the new GTA trailer just killed SR4 for me.

I love the Saints Row games and the new GTA trailer does nothing for me.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Vice City was probably one of my favorite games ever, but GTA4 was simply too serious for me.  

But I'm just glad we have so many fantastic options when it comes to sandbox action games.  They all fill a niche.

• Like 1

Really? I'm not sure if you are joking, I don't want to  turn this into a SR vs GTA discussion but you can't possibly compare the outlandish and exaggerated gameplay antics of the SR4 trailer to the real living world of GTA5?

Both look good but GTA5 is on a different level and it always has been? :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

C'mon, Saints Row trailer with Keith David just rocks so many humour buttons that I want to play it.

The trouble with the GTAV trailer is that it presents what looks like a really nice technical open world to roam around in, with some nice gameplay ideas.. but I'm getting no real feel of soul from the game that makes me go "Yeah, I want to sink hours into this".

GTA is hitting those "oh, that looks interesting, but apart from the technical shiny, I'll wait for the sales rather then preorder" buttons.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The problem with the GTA5 trailer for me is the golf and tennis minigames look like legitimate games.  They should be fun and quick diversions, not the newest version of Tiger Woods Golf.  

I'm more excited to swing a **** bat at aliens, to be honest.  

• Like 3

C'mon, Saints Row trailer with Keith David just rocks so many humour buttons that I want to play it.

The trouble with the GTAV trailer is that it presents what looks like a really nice technical open world to roam around in, with some nice gameplay ideas.. but I'm getting no real feel of soul from the game that makes me go "Yeah, I want to sink hours into this".

GTA is hitting those "oh, that looks interesting, but apart from the technical shiny, I'll wait for the sales rather then preorder" buttons.

I do agree that SR looks cool but for me it looks like mindless fun. Aliens and Superheroes, a big change from the earlier games but yes it will be fun

The problem with the GTA5 trailer for me is the golf and tennis minigames look like legitimate games.  They should be fun and quick diversions, not the newest version of Tiger Woods Golf.  

I'm more excited to swing a **** bat at aliens, to be honest.  

That's a good point actually and maybe why we disagree on what trailer appears more entertaining. I want to totally immerse myself in a virtual world where even the golf games take time and slowly build my criminal empire while exploring every nook and cranny of the GTA5 world. But swinging a bat at aliens will be fun but its a secondary objective when it comes to these types of games :) So this seems to be purely a debate around what type of game we prefer

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That's all it took ? Keith David making some goofy speech ? :p Both of them look pretty same-y, SR4 maybe more than GTA V (wasn't it supposed to be DLC, anyway?) I'd wait for sales for both of them, I expect SR4 to be cheap a lot quicker than GTA V though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Really? I'm not sure if you are joking, I don't want to  turn this into a SR vs GTA discussion but you can't possibly compare the outlandish and exaggerated gameplay antics of the SR4 trailer to the real living world of GTA5?

It's about what you're looking for in a game:

If you're looking for gritty realism and going through an emotional roller coaster as the characters struggle with the morality of their actions, then GTA V definitely looks suited to that.

Me, I want to cause ridiculous amounts of chaos and just have crazy, unfettered, over the top, juvenile fun.  Having super powers, running around naked and punching people in the ****, and shooting aliens with a dubstep gun is definitely well suited for that.

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

It's about what you're looking for in a game:

If you're looking for gritty realism and going through an emotional roller coaster as the characters struggle with the morality of their actions, then GTA V definitely looks suited to that.

Me, I want to cause ridiculous amounts of chaos and just have crazy, unfettered, over the top, juvenile fun.  Having super powers, running around naked and punching people in the ****, and shooting aliens with a dubstep gun is definitely well suited for that.

Well said, you have posted what I have been trying to say :)

I think a while ago on another thread you also described the SR genre in a similar way and I thought " yes that's exactly how I see SR games "

John Milton 

Hopefully for $4.99, any more than that is a rip off.