RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

My total experience with the 3D GTAs: played San Andreas until the very early segment where you have to escape on a bicycle. Felt like I was playing a less entertaining version of QWOP. Have never been back.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

So we have reached the usual Obsidian consensus on the issue.

:biggrin: Yeah and it makes me laugh

But I would say we are all in agreement that GTA is the superior game ????? 

I think we're all in agreement to disagree with each other.

Besides, the best open world, sandbox game ever made is CLEARLY Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust.

/hides

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

yes, SR games are only worth it for the co-op.

Never played SR co-op and probably never will. Still fun to me.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Co-op SR3 was more enjoyable for me, just due to bad driving.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Than SR? Hell to the no.

I share this opinion

Saint's Row 3 had a nice variety of interesting vehicles, including VTOL jets that fired lasers. And the missions provided variety too.

Every GTA I've played was just lots of the same from beginning to end.

• Like 3
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Than SR? Hell to the no.

I share this opinion

Saint's Row 3 had a nice variety of interesting vehicles, including VTOL jets that fired lasers. And the missions provided variety too.

Every GTA I've played was just lots of the same from beginning to end.

I felt vice city had enough variety in its missions, but, yeah...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

To me it all just comes down to "is it fun?".  SR2 and SR3 were just fun.  The missions were fun, the activities were fun, especially Insurance Fraud.  Everything was put in place for me to have fun.  GTA III was fun, partly because it was groundbreaking, and partly because it got out of your way and let me have fun.  Vice City and San Andreas each added different fun things to do.  There were parts that were tedious and unnecessary, especially in San Andreas, but there was still plenty of fun activities and the missions were for the most part fun and interesting.  Not to mention that San Fierro was a stunt driver's paradise, man the crazy jumps and hellrides I pulled in that city.  Somehow GTA IV just lost the fun aspect for me.  The missions were more tedious than anything else, the city was well crafted but drab and boring, there were some well made mini games and some fun to be had, but the game seemed like it was actively trying to keep me from having fun.  It felt more like a chore than a game.  By the time I got to the last few missions I was dreading the missions and just saying to myself "let's just get this crap over with so I can get to the end".

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

hmm, I never found SR3 fun outside the fact that I was playing it in co-op. doctor, what's wrong with me?  :(

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Okay, this is something that needs to come off the shelf and be put on the back burner.  Then once Stick of Truth and/or Project Eternity are completed it should immediately go on the front burner.  Medium heat, season, stir frequently.  Seriously, Backspace sounds ****ing fantastic.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Looks good to me too; hope they can come back to it at some point.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Interesting idea, at least.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The idea of a Borderlands-esque game by Obsidian is very appealing. Borderlands was fun but it needed fewer but more fleshed out quests and that's how I would imagine something like this. The only thing I'm not huge on is the idea of left trigger = left hand, right trigger = right hand, as that mechanic hasn't worked well in any game I've played.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

What we need is someone to crack open a bunch of Heavy Metal magazines from the 70ties and 80ties and make an RPG on more or less anything they see there. Moebius landscapes, Druillet buildings, Bilal dystopia... anything except US 90's tv show inspired crap.

I pine for a real euro RPG. Even european games like Drakensang are built according to generic US genre parameters and aesthetics.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Interesting idea, at least.

Yeah. BioWare Junior is really doing something totally interesting by making a Mass Effect clone.

Even if it was nothing more than a Mass Effect clone, I'd be on board.  I liked the Mass Effect trilogy quite bit, all the way up until about the last 10-15% of ME3, where it promptly fell off a ****ing cliff.  Heck, a lot of people refer to Fallout: New Vegas as nothing more than a Fallout 3 reskin.  I personally think it's more than that.  Regardless, F:NV is one of my favorite games, reskin or not.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

InXile partners with publisher for Wasteland 2

After all the **** Fargo talked about publishers.

It sounds more like a distribution deal. The publisher isn't involved in the game, they basically gave them the rights to do physical copies in exchange for distributig their physical goods. Realistically I don't think they could have done boxed copies any other way.

• Like 4
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It sounds more like a distribution deal. The publisher isn't involved in the game, they basically gave them the rights to do physical copies in exchange for distributig their physical goods. Realistically I don't think they could have done boxed copies any other way.

No doubt, and it's the right move for them, but it doesn't mean we can't give them **** about it since half of their pitch could have been summarized as "publishers are reason we can't have nice things."

• Like 1

If they're a distributor only, do they defacto count as a publisher?

Or am I splitting hairs?

• Like 3