The Kickstarter Thread

Gorth

Yeah I'm reading American Gods and 20% into the book I still have no idea what it's about. -_-

Yeah that's probably just you then.  It's a fantastic book.  

The idea is good, the execution is just sad. The Jesus copout is especially hilarious.

A non gaming Kickstarter: ARKYD: A Space Telescope for Everyone

Introducing: The ARKYD — [ahrk-kid]

The ARKYD is a technologically advanced, orbiting space telescope that will be controlled by YOU, the crowd, through your pledges and community involvement! You can even direct your telescope time to non-profit science centers and universities for use in your communities!

Just think about the true impact of this endeavor for a moment. Together we can provide access to technology that costs tens of millions of dollars into the hands of students, scientists and a new generation of explorers, who will use it in ways we can’t even fathom yet!

A 0.2m aperture? Err... whoopie.

My cheap ass 8" dobsonian is bigger than that.  Why even bother sending something that small out into space?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

To be fair, your 8" is pretty much the same size as the 200mm (203.2mm)

The advantages would be the usual advantages of not having to deal with the issues that come with being on Earth (atmosphere, weather, etc.)

The costs of construction probably go up exponentially with larger apertures.  Although some of the stuff like "emergency asteroid detection" does come across as a bit silly.

I've only ever used ground based, refraction telescopes (and even then, it was probably more like 5cm aperture), however, so I never really did any deep sky viewing.

Bill Tiller, one of the background artists behind The Dig and Monkey Island 3 has a Kickstarter for a prequel to the first game he made for his own studio.

A Vampyre Story: Year 1

$8 will get you the game when it comes out (which I thought was a bit low), $20 will get you that, and the original game when they open up their own online store.

So far it's at $31,346/$200,000 with 24 days to go. He's reusing his old engine and updating it for Win7/8. It saves him about half the costs of switching engines (which is why there's a lack of multi-platform support.

Between Massive Chalice, and Armikrog, I hope there's enough left over right now for him.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

yakov_0.jpg

In Soviet Russia, you don't kickstart games; Games kickstart you!

It's an RPG where you don't level up. The 3 characters pretty much decide how you play out the level. It's almost more of a early FPS in how it plays, Seems interesting enough with the setting, but I'll probably wait and see.

• Like 1

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Rehearsals & Returns by Peter Brinson

He was one of the two guys who worked on The Cat and the Coup, the documentary game where you play the cat of Mohammad Mosaddegh, the first democratically elected Prime Minister of Iran, whom the CIA and MI6 helped oust with the coup to put General Zahedi in power after Mosaddegh nationalized their oil, basically pissing off BP.

Rehearsals & Returns is basically a game about conversations that will never take place.

Description

The core mechanic of Rehearsals and Returns involves saying something explicitly nice, mean, or wise to various people alive and dead such as Mao Tse Tung, Richard Pryor, Margaret Thatcher, The Pope, Hillary Clinton, Nikola Tesla, Leni Reifenstahl, Tiger Woods, and Rosa Parks.  These are some of the figures in the game.

$4 will get you the game. It has already reached it's funding goal with 10 days left. There's a stretch goal where if it reaches $6300, he'll hire a database programmer for a feature he doesn't want to reveal.

The Cat and the Coup is of course, free on Steam.

I backed some little Ghostbusters type game on the cheap

I don't remember what it was called though

EDIT: nevermind found it

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1184280206/ghostcontrol-inc

Nice, I'll join you with a small donation

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I haven't received a Dreamfall Chapters update in months. #Kickscammer #Aprilisdead

There was an update just a little under a month ago. #37 was on May 24th.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts

EDIT:

Plus according to the forums, they're going to be showing some new stuff at Rezzed in the UK this weekend.

Edited by babaganoosh13

I haven't received a Dreamfall Chapters update in months. #Kickscammer #Aprilisdead

I got the first update in months for Tex Murphy Project Fedora the other day.  #Texlives #MutantsRpeople2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I was surprised to notice that Rutskarn, a guy from one of my favorite LP/"game critic" group Spoiler Warning, is having a Kickstarter about an RPG set in India called Unrest

They reached their $3,000 goal on the first day

Historical India is a prime target for a CRPG; there's plenty of mythology to explore there. But I can see why they want to enhance the graphics. It's a bit vanilla right now and the perspective needs a little work.

Final hour plug for this, 40min left.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The Kickstarter documentary "Kickstarted" that helped to uncover the Kobe Beef Jerky scam is in its final 4 days, and is a fair bit short of its funding goal.

$43,348/$85,000

It features interviews with Brad Muir, Zach Braff, Brian Fargo, Amanda Palmer and many others.

The Kobe Jerky guys tried throwing off their funding with fake pledging after their Kickstarter was suspended, but I'm kinda surprised there wasn't a bigger spike in its funding after the press it got.

Anyone else frustrated with how difficult it is to find kickstarters that interest you? I think the site needs a huge revamp, or I'm missing something. They don't let you view enough kickstarters on one page - honestly, the site should print out a huge list of them if you give search criteria.

Edited by anubite
  • Like 2

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go: