The Kickstarter Thread

Gorth

It should be trivial to make a police P&C adventure today. The market for those games is definitely there, and seemingly stable.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

It should be trivial to make a police P&C adventure today. The market for those games is definitely there, and seemingly stable.

Exactly.  Yet, it's a surprisingly untapped field.  The few games that even have you playing a cop usually just use it as an excuse to get into cover shooter situations.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, though I still think their tier structure and rewards are rather wonky/unattractive.  Honestly, as much as I want this to succeed, and I do, this whole thing reeks of unprepared and hurried.  It may be in their best interest to scrap this, research some successful tier structures, and come back with a better, more focused pitch and better tier structure a month or two from now.  If nothing else, it would give people's wallets time to recover from the Steam sale.

I'd say that of the various funding drives from all the other Sierra alumni, this one seems the most mature at the point of KS launch. The product itself is probably easily at the most advanced stage at this point compared to the others, and the sparse tiers aside, the logistics of the campaign is up there with the better ones. And given that fairly concrete news about this project being actively pursued as back as February, that's probably to be expected.

Recent projects have certainly taken some steps back away from the high-cost physical goods excesses of previous projects. In this case they might have gone a bit too far stripping it down, resulting in losing some potential of the mid-range meat 'n' potatoes pledges, but the rationale is sound, particularly in light of the Double Fine problems. Ultimately it's a project of a fair bit more complexity than say, SpaceVenture or Larry, while at the same time probably not a meaningfully more attractive money draw - which would probably necessitate a lower percentage 'bleed' of funds into reward fulfilment.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

It will make it, it's just that it should have already made it.

I always founds the game to actually be decidedly niche.  I remember playing it waaaaaaaay back in the day.  I also picked it up off GoG not too long ago, and realized that perhaps I didn't finish it because it simply wasn't my cup of tea.

It will make it, it's just that it should have already made it.

I always founds the game to actually be decidedly niche.  I remember playing it waaaaaaaay back in the day.  I also picked it up off GoG not too long ago, and realized that perhaps I didn't finish it because it simply wasn't my cup of tea.

Same, as a kid it was just too fast for me, I couldn't deal with the actiony gameplay it sort of devolved into after the first few levels. And the trains, god, the trains - I might have ragequit the game for good after the umpteenth time being run over by the trains.

I still dislike the RTS genre in general these days so the preference has never really gone away. Happy to back this of course, but it's something I'll then ignore until it's released.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Don't personally like the RTS genre either, but always loved the syndicate games. First more than the second, but only because it's more fun to be the underdog working your way upwards than to be the one everyone is ganging up on. Also didn't like the religious zealots from the second game very much.

But definitely have high hopes for this one.

Shadow of the Eternals relaunched on Kickstarter

Self-proclaimed spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness, it's a third-person horror action/adventure game. This is their second attempt at a Kickstarter campaign after the first one faltered.

It looks like they got rid of the episodic design of the game.

What I think they should do is bring out a workable demo and show that they can again make a good, fun game. Then more people might get on board. We'll see how this ones goes.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Hmm, scam seems to be your favorite word.

Having Professor Freeman Dyson back his idea is pretty significant cred. I just wouldn't want to be living anywhere near the thing when projectiles start shooting off at mach 20.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Not necessarily a computer game or anything but... it's a crepe thing in New Orleans. A friend I met in Michigan is setting this up, so I am a little bit biased here but just felt like throwing it out here. It is the Kickstarter Thread right? :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20336424/flat-jacques-creperie-on-wheels

They do a pretty good job with the presentation in my opinion.. but I am biased :p

I think the game to which I'll be linking is worth support. It's called Project Maiden and it's a Zeldalike. There are two aspects to the game that distinguish it for me. The first is the central conceit: As you progress, you need to give up powers to progress. Such a mechanic brings with it organic difficulty. You can choose whichever order you want to release powers and skills which will mean that some areas will not be accessible where others are. This builds in natural replayability. Privation of abilities to the player rather than empowering is something I don't see in games unless self-imposed. For more details on this, I hope you'll check it out.

The second thing has to do with the creator of the game and his team respectively. They want to make this game freely available once it's been produced. You could donate $1 now (or nothing if you want to be like that *teardrop*) and when it's done still receive the same thing that someone who has put in more will get (short of tier specific things that are not a part of the game like physical items). The newest stretch goal revealed shows that there is a gaiden (side story) to Project Maiden that he also wishes to make available gratis in the same way that PM will be. I believe such generosity should be acknowledged and encouraged as the creator and co. could have went traditional---try to make money. That's still what is desired down the road via voluntary Pay As You Want but not mandatory.

To be clear, the game has made its initial goal and a little more. The current SG is for New Game Plus w/commentary (self-described as going to be like Half Life 2). It's about $600 away from hitting that one and I really hope it hits that at least. The side story is $15k which would be 4k more past NGP.

Sorry if this was too lengthy but I thought some window into why I think this is a worthy project was needed. There's basically 24 hours left (24 1/2 I guess)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1507109559/project-maiden

Thanks for reading some or all of that.

Ok, this one is about currency... namely coins. Westeros coins. Westeros as in the Game of Thrones. I've just backed them myself, and I've got to say, those coins look pretty darn good! They're also minting some coins based on Pat Rothfuss' work. :)

Take a look and decide for yourselves if this is worth your support: Game of Thrones Westeros "Golden Dragon" Coins @ Kickstarter

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png