The Kickstarter Thread

Gorth

It's just a shame that a game like Shadowrun Returns saw 35% of money raised go to "tax" http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/197132/Qamp_A_Learning_from_Shadowrun_Returns_Kickstarter_success.php

In our case the deductions were: Kickstarter and Amazon's share, Microsoft’s royalty, the production cost of all the physical rewards (books, t-shirts, boxes, dog tags, etc.), and the cost of picking, packing and shipping all those rewards. When you add all that up it represents over 35 percent of the money raised.

It seems odd to me that Microsoft would take a portion of the Kickstarter funds. I would think they would either get an upfront fee or something on the backend or both.

Maybe they are counting each copy promised in the Kickstarter as a sale or something and had to give a portion of that. Still seems weird to me but I think that I'm still skeptical of their business dealings since the whole DRM thing

I'm not aware of the costs of running a company of their size, but find it believable if HBS said they made no money from the Kickstarter.  Any money they make will be now from the sales.  It's interesting that RPG fans haven't universally supported them; I'd even go so far as to say that reviewers should be reviewing Kickstarter titles differently from traditional £25 titles.  But I'm going off topic now.

Yeah I've been somewhat surprised by the fairly muted interest in Shadowrun.  It isn't very often we get game that not only captures the charm of the PnP version, but gives gamers the tools to GM their own adventures.  

I'm pretty sure they said that they went over budget in making the game and had to dip into their reserves. I just thought that it was weird that Microsoft took some of the Kickstarter money, money that could have gone into making/improving the game. 

Is the game not doing well? I haven't seen any numbers or announcements but I haven't really looked either. It seems that most here really enjoyed it.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Yeah I've been somewhat surprised by the fairly muted interest in Shadowrun.  It isn't very often we get game that not only captures the charm of the PnP version, but gives gamers the tools to GM their own adventures.  

Yeah, even in PnP circles, the franchise is somewhat niche. It's not a RPG behemoth like D&D or Vampire (even though both seem past their prime).

Also, PS:T taught us that quirky settings doesn't exactly bring mass appeal. I'm also not sure how big of a selling point an editor really is. For me personally it may just as well not exist, and while I know there are some who think having it is awesome I fear a majority are like me.

It's interesting that RPG fans haven't universally supported them; I'd even go so far as to say that reviewers should be reviewing Kickstarter titles differently from traditional £25 titles.  But I'm going off topic now.

Why is that? A game should stand on it's own merits, regardless of how it was funded.

As for the universal support from RPG gamers, personally I don't think the game was good enough to gather that kind of support. It was fun and , for me, worth it's price. But it's not without it's issues and the game has problem that would be off-putting to some.

As a combat simulation, Shaeowrun Returns is weaker than more dedicated ones such as Silent Storm while as a simulationist RPG like Black Isle Follouts, it’s quite restricted. So, although I think it has got its own charm like a short story, I understand some people are not totally happy with it.

That said, I really don’t care about what “mass” would like. I don’t count on “professional” reviews at major sites nowadays. I didn’t count on them back in old days but there are so many reviews from various people on the net. It’s much easier for me to find a product by reading reviews written by people who have similar tastes as mine.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/balconyteam/balrum

Balrum might just make it $46,711/$50,000. 5hrs to go.

This thing has got half it's funding in the last week.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Well, if anyone here a fan of JRPGs, then you may want to look at project phoenix.  It has some of the top Japanese developers in the business.  Seems like it will have no trouble reaching its funding goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent

I wonder why they can't announce superstar lead programmer and art supervisor that will blow everybody's socks off?  If they let the name slip will the Yakuza have them offed or something?

I can think of at least couple of reasons: 1) they are currently involved in other work and don't want the distraction; 2) if we knew, it might scare off some contributors... for whatever reason.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Well, if anyone here a fan of JRPGs, then you may want to look at project phoenix.  It has some of the top Japanese developers in the business.  Seems like it will have no trouble reaching its funding goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent

I wonder why they can't announce superstar lead programmer and art supervisor that will blow everybody's socks off?  If they let the name slip will the Yakuza have them offed or something?

I can think of at least couple of reasons: 1) they are currently involved in other work and don't want the distraction; 2) if we knew, it might scare off some contributors... for whatever reason.

But if they're really super duper stars why would that scare us off.  Wouldn't it instead make us throw our money, and possibly underwear, at them?

:wowey:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

They may have requested to keep their involvement under wraps or might still be under a contract that prevents them from openly revealing their involvement for the time being.

Or they may be generating buzz, which "keep watching to see who they are" will do fairly well.

Yeah, even in PnP circles, the franchise is somewhat niche. It's not a RPG behemoth like D&D or Vampire (even though both seem past their prime).

Also, PS:T taught us that quirky settings doesn't exactly bring mass appeal. I'm also not sure how big of a selling point an editor really is. For me personally it may just as well not exist, and while I know there are some who think having it is awesome I fear a majority are like me.

It's interesting that RPG fans haven't universally supported them; I'd even go so far as to say that reviewers should be reviewing Kickstarter titles differently from traditional £25 titles.  But I'm going off topic now.

Why is that? A game should stand on it's own merits, regardless of how it was funded.

As for the universal support from RPG gamers, personally I don't think the game was good enough to gather that kind of support. It was fun and , for me, worth it's price. But it's not without it's issues and the game has problem that would be off-putting to some.

A common summary in each review is "is it worth £15".  The way I see it is someone might have purchased it for $15 as a backer and have the Berlin DLC (now stated as long as this one), so thats about 24 hours of quality content for 2/3 the price of an expansion pack (like Skyrim's Dawnguard) with the potential for TES scope in community expansion.  So reviewed on a price vs content basis and compared to Skyrim (which I purchased for £55 in total) - I spent 14 hours on it's main campaign, 6 on Dawnguard and 8 on that other DLC. So 28 hrs for £55 of software compared to £15/$15 for 24hrs.  My game timing anyway.

If they released both campaigns at once I expect even more positive reviews, but I don't mind waiting and thinking a bit ahead as backer money invested in 2 campaigns and summarize the product accordingly - it's a campaign worth replaying aswell. whereas Skyrim...wasn't...

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1544635303/postal-2

Uwe Boll wants to do Postal 2 with kickstarter. I'm sure it's going to get funded super fast.

Are there really people out there that see something being made by Uwe Boll and think "Oh man, I HAVE GOT to get in on this"?

/looks at backer count

Apparently 205 of them.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Guest Slinky

Are there really people out there that see something being made by Uwe Boll and think "Oh man, I HAVE GOT to get in on this"?

I thought the same, which very likely means that $500k is going to get funded in record time.

Something like that always happens when I make the mistake of thinking "nobody is stupid enough to give money to that".

To be fair, I saw the Farcry movie and was entertained, I'd say as a point of reference that I enjoyed it a lot more than Olympus has Fallen (which I thought was a pretty flat action filck that still got high ratings) . I'm not sure about his other films but  I suspect people have gone overboard with his bad reputation. 

Remember, if you find yourself wanting to back a Uwe Boll Kickstarter, please do the responsible thing and just throw your money in a woodchipper or something.

:p

Edited by Serrano

Keiji Inafune Kickstarter?  Mega Man spiritual successor?  ON PC?  It can't be...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

d872aedcdccf552f3a519ee565576732_large.j

e8894e7fb00e61bf0aa4723143729607_large.j

22ee7ccc16595d5361663fe429c08c29_large.j

:w00t: faint.gif

Iffem_shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Uwe Boll wants to do Postal 2 with kickstarter. I'm sure it's going to get funded super fast.

I'm willing to bet it'll get funded, primarily by trolls who know that there are people who will be crapping blood as a result of the news that a bunch of trolls ponied up $500k for Uwe Boll to make a terrible movie based on a terrible video game.

Keiji Inafune Kickstarter?  Mega Man spiritual successor?  ON PC?  It can't be...

It's pretty telling about Capcom that it's gotten to the point where Megaman devs are now making their own blatant Megaman knockoff because Capcom has banned Megaman forever.

It looks much better than just another Megaman sequel, anyway.

5217.png

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

It's pretty telling about Capcom that it's gotten to the point where Megaman devs are now making their own blatant Megaman knockoff because Capcom has banned Megaman forever.

It looks much better than just another Megaman sequel, anyway.

5217.png

Yeah, this is so obviously Inafune & Co. telling Capcom to eat a ****, and obviously, unabashedly as Mega Man clone as Mega Man clone gets.  I'm all for it, Capcom can go **** themselves.  They quite obviously are content to just let the blue bomber fade out of existence.  They cancelled the last bunch of Mega Man projects and have done a bunch of nothing with the IP ever since.  They didn't even really do anything for Mega Man's 25th anniversary.  If they're not going to do anything with the blue bomber, and it's painfully obvious that they won't, then this is as close to another Mega Man game we're ever going to get.  I just hope Inafune has some legal council on just how close he can stray to the series he helped create without getting his pants sued off.

They're going to make funding EASILY, they may make the initial goal today.  I kind of hope they hit the far out consoles stretch goal.  Even though I'll be playing it on PC, so it wouldn't make a difference to me, it would just be weird not to have this on consoles.

This, Rayman Legends, a new Shantae (Shantae!) on 3DS announced, Shovel Knight incoming soon.  So much good 2D platforming.  :dancing:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

see

Incidentally, on a positive note, it looks like Mighty No. 9 is going to hit its initial goal on day 2.

Edited by AGX-17