RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

CDP has stupid idea, CDP realises is stupid idea.

Good times.

It's definitely better than: <company name> has stupid idea, <company name> is told idea is stupid, <company name> goes through with it anyway,  <company name> keeps insisting stupid idea was great idea.  That scenario has happened all too often.

Buddhists say there are 3 steps to wrong doing:

Step 1:  Thinking about it

Step 2:  Doing it

Step 3:  Celebrating it

The sooner you stop the less damage that is done.  I commend CD Projekt RED for stopping at Step 1.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Good times.

It's definitely better than: <company name> has stupid idea, <company name> is told idea is stupid, <company name> goes through with it anyway,  <company name> keeps insisting stupid idea was great idea.  That scenario has happened all too often.

The sooner you stop the less damage that is done.  I commend CD Projekt RED for stopping at Step 1.

I can't resist but add "...this time" to that last sentence while pointing at Witcher 2.

I can't resist but add "...this time" to that last sentence while pointing at Witcher 2.

Better "this time" than not at all.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Trailer from the fanfest this year.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So about WOD... I'll just copy everything I've found someplace else.

• Currently ~70 people working on WoD
  • As eluded to at TGM 2011 there will be out of game social tools
  • 2013 will include dev on clothing system & PvE environments
  • Item "creation" will exist but not crafting proper
  • Their version of Carbon uses DirectX 11 feature set

Src: http://www.wodnews.net/Home/tabid/41/Article/918/Report-First-WoD-news-out-of-Fanfest.aspx

There is something that article on Massively Joystiq didn't say or didn't explain well and it's the demo they showed, it looks interesting for what I read on other webs, even it's not actual gameplay. On a rainy night, a female vampire, dressed with leather clothes, bites a Human guy and drinks some blood, she jumps from a rooftop, then she meets with other characters at a night club, later she spots another Vampire jumping over rooftops and she uses some discipline and goes after the Kindred, then a heavy fight starts, when the thing concluded, two more Vampires, who were using Obfuscate, suddenly appear and the video fades out to black. There are intriguing things to watch (like disciplines and animations) and they're representing the lore and atmosphere very well. That surely will be a part edited out for the official public video. 

Src: http://www.wodnews.net/Home/tabid/41/Article/919/Detailed-description-of-WoD-video-shown-at-Fanfest.aspx

Photos from the event: 

https://picasaweb.google.com/104768265135219212499/WorldOfDarkness?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIn2icC12NbHPA&feat=directlink

Some more info you can get at:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/26/world-of-darkness-development-shown-at-eve-fanfest-2013/

• Like 1
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

So about WOD... I'll just copy everything I've found someplace else.

• Currently ~70 people working on WoD
  • As eluded to at TGM 2011 there will be out of game social tools
  • 2013 will include dev on clothing system & PvE environments
  • Item "creation" will exist but not crafting proper
  • Their version of Carbon uses DirectX 11 feature set

Src: http://www.wodnews.net/Home/tabid/41/Article/918/Report-First-WoD-news-out-of-Fanfest.aspx

There is something that article on Massively Joystiq didn't say or didn't explain well and it's the demo they showed, it looks interesting for what I read on other webs, even it's not actual gameplay. On a rainy night, a female vampire, dressed with leather clothes, bites a Human guy and drinks some blood, she jumps from a rooftop, then she meets with other characters at a night club, later she spots another Vampire jumping over rooftops and she uses some discipline and goes after the Kindred, then a heavy fight starts, when the thing concluded, two more Vampires, who were using Obfuscate, suddenly appear and the video fades out to black. There are intriguing things to watch (like disciplines and animations) and they're representing the lore and atmosphere very well. That surely will be a part edited out for the official public video. 

Src: http://www.wodnews.net/Home/tabid/41/Article/919/Detailed-description-of-WoD-video-shown-at-Fanfest.aspx

Photos from the event: 

https://picasaweb.google.com/104768265135219212499/WorldOfDarkness?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIn2icC12NbHPA&feat=directlink

Some more info you can get at:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/26/world-of-darkness-development-shown-at-eve-fanfest-2013/

Nice update, thanks. It is good too see this MMO is not dead. Yaaaay :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Good times.

Good times.

Both you guys have summarized my view on this matter. And its an important point. That point is balancing the gaming experience with making more money. Think about it

• Many people expect MP
  • Current fans don't care that much
  • To implement MP would increase revenue 
  • To implement MP would dilute the  single game experience
  • Leave MP out despite the possible increased sales

We already know this  about CD Projekt Red but its always refreshing when you see developers and publishers that honestly consider how to make the best game without always thinking about the Net Profit :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I would watch more of that movie.

I agree.  I have no interest in "playing" Cutscene: The Video Game - QTE Edition, but I wouldn't mind watching it.  

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

exclusive agreements need to go. I don't have a playstation, I'm not going to pay 500 bucks for one. I have a fantastic computer. I want to play that game, I also want to play Journey.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Beyond: Two Souls footage from Tribeca Film Festical:

Trailer:

Gameplay(?):

Interview with Page & Cage:

The pointlessness of that level of graphics fidelity is staggering.

A few people and a camera and you get that same thing for a fraction of the cost.

The perpetual insistence on more realism in games serves only the graphics card manufacturers. Games lack style and visual design first and foremost or simply ideas. 

Having realistic graphics doesn't make a bad game better, it just makes it a bad interactive movie (which is exactly what both of these look like).

Ultimately, even this is nowhere near realism - animation is still crap and all the people look dead, like mannequins.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Oh and I'm so tired of the juvenile "strong" female characters that display GI Joe bravado, with a "I can do whatever you can do" attitude coupled with teenage angst.

My grandmother, who survived WWII, the death of all nine of her brothers in that war, nazi occupation and cared for her sisters at the same time has more balls then they do. And is, lo and behold, as feminine as anyone else's grandmother.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 7

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I could see myself appreciating the visuals of Beyond... if the mouths didn't drag it screaming into uncanny valley 90% of the time. Those motion capture thingies that you paste on to actors' faces seem like money wasted. I'll go so far as to say that Alpha Protocol did it better, and there staring at people's expressions was at least 1/3 of the game

Read that on PCGamer, that site is down at the moment - http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/29/indie-development-sim-game-dev-tycoon-gives-pirates-a-taste-of-their-own-torrenting/

Not really going to work if the people actually crack the game though. But makes for good PR, I suppose.

Mirror of the dev's posting

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra