Torment: Tides of Numenera

Gorth

(2) TB is not necessarily slower than RTwP. 

TToN's developers also disagree:

The primary advantages we see in RTwP are: 
- Combat is resolved more quickly, even with a large number of combatants. 
- It is more flexible: the player can pause a lot or a little depending on whether they’re looking for a fast pace or a slow one.

https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/231763-combat-vote-forum-backer-only-

Edited by Zeckul

• 6 months later...

RPG Codex interview with Colin, Adam, George, and Jeremy of the Torment team.

Great read.  This, in particular, made me very happy

As we’ve stated before, we plan for it to be possible to complete TTON without engaging in combat at all. Players can finish or avoid every Crisis using social, stealth, and exploration abilities. Having said that, we haven’t promised that it will be easy. It will likely require very careful decision making and smart character build choices to complete the whole game without throwing a single punch/self-propelled energy projection device.

They had stated their intention to allow a combat-free playthrough previously, but it's good to see it reiterated here.

I fully intend to do a pacifist playthrough my first time through.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

(2) TB is not necessarily slower than RTwP. 

TToN's developers also disagree:

The primary advantages we see in RTwP are: 
- Combat is resolved more quickly, even with a large number of combatants. 
- It is more flexible: the player can pause a lot or a little depending on whether they’re looking for a fast pace or a slow one.

https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/231763-combat-vote-forum-backer-only-

tb purists will frequent note that rtwp can potential be slower than tb, and that is true. bob is playing a rtwp crpg with a bazillion combat choices and he gots near crippling ocd.  with his party o' six or eight, he can spend hours agonizing over minor combats. converse, freddie is playing a tb game where enemies takes their "turn" simultaneous (or near simultaneous) and at increased speed. freddie either is playing so that he gots a party or 1, or his companions is controlled via ai scripts and their actions is sped up much as is enemies.

with enough qualifiers, you can make almost any statement true... but what is the point o' doing so?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

RPG Codex interview with Colin, Adam, George, and Jeremy of the Torment team.

Great read.  This, in particular, made me very happy

As we’ve stated before, we plan for it to be possible to complete TTON without engaging in combat at all. Players can finish or avoid every Crisis using social, stealth, and exploration abilities. Having said that, we haven’t promised that it will be easy. It will likely require very careful decision making and smart character build choices to complete the whole game without throwing a single punch/self-propelled energy projection device.

They had stated their intention to allow a combat-free playthrough previously, but it's good to see it reiterated here.

I fully intend to do a pacifist playthrough my first time through.

I will do this on my second. Still, good to know.

• 3 months later...

Update #32:

The Torment site gets a relaunch, and all the backers will have to confirm all their choices and add-ons by October 31.

Also, for those of us who get to have texts in T:ToN or get to make items and other-in-game stuff, some of our designing can begin as of right now. :) 

They also call for us to upgrade our pledges a bit for more George Ziets-goodies in the form of the Gullet in the Bloom. Yum!

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Random question but if I pledge on the Torment website for the packaged deal of Wasteland 2 and Torment. Will they give me Steam keys or DRM free copies because I would rather have a steam key to keep it easy?

Can't you choose? I will have to check this myself, but am to lazy to do it now.

Random question but if I pledge on the Torment website for the packaged deal of Wasteland 2 and Torment. Will they give me Steam keys or DRM free copies because I would rather have a steam key to keep it easy?

Can't you choose? I will have to check this myself, but am to lazy to do it now.

Steam and GoG are both options. 

PS:  There's a new stretch goal for an expanded section of the Bloom.  Check out update #32.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/988605

Edited by kgambit

PS: There's a new stretch goal for an expanded section of the Bloom. Check out update #32.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/988605

Are you sure you have both options because looking deeper and pushing the "more info" button next to the pledge, it says both copies and says DRM Free copies which doesn't technically sound like an option but wanted to ask if anyone else had tried this option or can confirm.

PS: There's a new stretch goal for an expanded section of the Bloom. Check out update #32.

Are you sure you have both options because looking deeper and pushing the "more info" button next to the pledge, it says both copies and says DRM Free copies which doesn't technically sound like an option but wanted to ask if anyone else had tried this option or can confirm.

Alright, just went deeper still in the selection process and it does appear your choice to digital retailer, so that sums that up.  Thanks, gonna go pledge now!

Is there a way to increase your pledge?  Am I just too sleepy, and just overlooking it.  I want the T-shirt, but I want the Pat Rothfuss and MCA Comics + the Digital Torment Sourcebook for the PnP which excluded from my tier.   At the moment I have the 3 latter added as they are a source for entertainment and will be more worth it to me, but a shirt is cool too.

Anyway, I love the video.  I R excited. 

I gotta say that did hit some of the right notes.  (Although, yeah, I did cringe a little at the part Volo is alluding to.) 

I backed this one pretty minimally and I've been staying away from the updates, so it's nice to see something that reminds me why I threw my ante in.  I did have some doubts that they would be able pull it off, given how high they set their sights and inXile's dubious release history.  But with W2 coming together, I'm much more confident that I've made a good bet.

Now I just need to get over my consistent urge to call the setting "nurma-nurma."  It's just such an overlong mumbly word.  Cutting the number of syllables in half would've dramatically reduced its pretentiousness. 

Edited by Enoch

Is there a way to increase your pledge?  Am I just too sleepy, and just overlooking it.  I want the T-shirt, but I want the Pat Rothfuss and MCA Comics + the Digital Torment Sourcebook for the PnP which excluded from my tier.   At the moment I have the 3 latter added as they are a source for entertainment and will be more worth it to me, but a shirt is cool too.

I did see a post from one of the devs from InXile that they wanted to get the site up first and they'll fix up all the other stuff like adding add-ons. Their main concern was to get the new site up with people able to access their WL2 keys with the release of the game this week.

I expect we'll have to wait maybe a week for them to update the site to pledge more with the add-ons.

• Like 1

If the amount you need to add is a multiple of an available tier, you can add money by using the Pledge option in the top bar of the backer site, then converting the credit to 'points' instead of whatever the listed option is. But that starts at $30 and the T-shirt is $25 so it's not optimal, so unless you want to add multiple things it's probably better to wait until they have a more elegant method sorted.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I figured that was the only way, Humanoid.  Thanks for the reply, and you as well Hiro.

I have about 1000 points at the moment, and there isn't anything else I want.  $30 is a bit too steep for me to just get a T-shirt given my present financial situation and would leave me with a slew of excess points.