RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

LadyCrimson

Personally I can't see why they'd make another game about the cliched karate kicking supermodel when they are sitting on the narrative brilliance that is the Legacy of Kain series, labyrinthine plots, shakespearian prose and self motivated independent characters surely trump another round of shooting more waves of incompetent mooks.  

If someone makes a ****ty remake of the LoK series I'm blaming you. It's bad enough that they turned Thief into some edgy action game.

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I've got to say i'm also somewhat trepidatious of what streamlining would take place if another Kain game was made, seeing as most major developer see the need to cater every game to single cellular life in their aim for as broad a market as possible, but I still hold on to that terrible and bitter illusion that is hope.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Well, at least the gameplay can't get any worse than Blood Omen 2 (though admittedly story is 100x more important), so we can let out a small sigh of relief. I guess the only way they can screw that up is to make it a shoot-HJGFKFDKTEDTYEYT¤&NMBVNYK][[¤%H NOOO! The mere thought of that bloody hurts

Personally I can't see why they'd make another game about the cliched karate kicking supermodel when they are sitting on the narrative brilliance that is the Legacy of Kain series, labyrinthine plots, shakespearian prose and self motivated independent characters surely trump another round of shooting more waves of incompetent mooks.  

I doubt they could pul another borderlinenonsensicalyetunbelievablyawesome plot again, after x years, wihout the lead writer.

You mean QTEs, narrow levels and more cutscenes than gameplay?

Every QTE added together make like a few minutes of total gameplay. But if that's enough to piss you off you should get that issue checked out.

Levels are not narrow at all. But the main path is linear if you have tunnel vision.

There is plenty more gameplay. But yes it's a 'cinematic' game. You might not personally like that but keep that inflated opinion of your own tastes to yourself.

No sorry, I don't see that.

Have you played it?

As much as I like the hoary old Tomb Raiders, I wouldn't want to replay any of them. They had terrible controls and gameplay - and Core Design never developed the gameplay either, it's no wonder they could push out a game every year. By 1999/2000 there was still no Tomb Raider game with mouse control for Lara (even Angel of Darkness which came out in 2003 had none).

Competitors like Drakan, Heavy Metal FAKK2, American McGee's Alice, Rune all played astronomically better.

Crystal Dynamics' games are at least fun to play.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I have to admit some of the reviews have been interesting. Generally favourable with the whole "while trying to paint a more realistic human, we go from troubled human being.. to apex predator of headshot island"  or the "troubled by the first time she has to kill a deer.. to looking at all warm bodies as pinatas chock-full of xp..."

I'm half-tempted to try to find room in the budget to pick up a copy and just see what it's like.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

If someone makes a ****ty remake of the LoK series I'm blaming you. It's bad enough that they turned Thief into some edgy action game.

LoK:Twilight

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Have you actually played the new one?  I haven't but most people I know have enjoyed it.

Then most people you know have very bad taste.

I'm actually playing TLR (TR 4) now and enjoy it a lot more than any of these bastardized newer versions from CD.

Thanks! :)

I see, it's just not "Tomb Raider enough."  Tomb Raider in name only!  Let me know if I missed anything!  After all you've been actively following it via Let's Plays while I haven't bothered wasting my time with it at all...

Edited by alanschu

So Lara doesn't raid any tombs in this new game ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So Lara doesn't raid any tombs in this new game ?

They're in optional challenge areas, this is where the more traditional puzzle platforming arena style gameplay is. There's a lot less platforming and a lot more 3rd person shooting, the game is also riddled with QTE and cutscenes, which I can only assume is because people don't want to play games any more.

You mean QTEs, narrow levels and more cutscenes than gameplay?

Every QTE added together make like a few minutes of total gameplay. But if that's enough to piss you off you should get that issue checked out.

Levels are not narrow at all. But the main path is linear if you have tunnel vision.

There is plenty more gameplay. But yes it's a 'cinematic' game. You might not personally like that but keep that inflated opinion of your own tastes to yourself.

>>No sorry, I don't see that.

Have you played it?

My estimation would be at least an hour and it's quite aggrevating. Mostly because the devs clearly thought having it in would improve the experience rather than ruin it for some people. Clearly they do not completely understand their user base. 

There should at least be a QTE combat on/off toggle in the options as well as key spamming/single hit options. Since we are just talking abouy key polling during gameplay there should be no technical limitations on implementing this. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

My estimation would be at least an hour and it's quite aggrevating. Mostly because the devs clearly thought having it in would improve the experience rather than ruin it for some people. Clearly they do not completely understand their user base. 

There should at least be a QTE combat on/off toggle in the options as well as key spamming/single hit options. Since we are just talking abouy key polling during gameplay there should be no technical limitations on implementing this. 

Surely you mean cutscenes?

I count 8 QTEs of the top of my head. Sure I'm missing some so lets say 16. Lets say 20 seconds of actual QTE on average. That's less than five and a half minutes.

I find really hard to wrap my head around anyone being so easily aggrivated.

Every time a wolf grabs your leg and you have to button mash to get out of it that's QTE combat. Same goes for the timed finishers in all the bossfights, as well as all the regular melee QTE if that was your playstyle. The bosses don't have health bars, the only way to beat them is a predetermined button mashing sequence. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Surely you mean cutscenes?

I count 8 QTEs of the top of my head. Sure I'm missing some so lets say 16. Lets say 20 seconds of actual QTE on average. That's less than five and a half minutes.

I find really hard to wrap my head around anyone being so easily aggrivated.

How many times are you going to do those QTE sequences? On PC where frame drops and mislabelling can cause them to be frustratingly hard. Also, doesn't this game have much more QTE, a lot of grabs result in a QTE, opening crates, levers, and doors? Mash a button for no ****ing reason. Edited by AwesomeOcelot

-There are 3-4 wolves in one forest, they are easy to not let grab you. I was grabbed only once. Nowhere else in the game do they exist.

-The counter is a single button prompt that you have to initiate on your own and know the button in advance, not really a QTE. Not to mention it's a skill you never have to choose to unlock to start with.

-Melee finishers are prompts which you never have to follow up on. It doesn't cut into any cutscene you run up and initiate it or just shoot.

-Boss finisher prompts are what? 2? 3? That aggrivating to push the melee button twice to see a finisher?

How many times are you going to do those QTE sequences? On PC where frame drops and mislabelling can cause them to be frustratingly hard. Also, doesn't this game have much more QTE, a lot of grabs result in a QTE, opening crates, levers, and doors? Mash a button for no ****ing reason.

Never experienced those problems. Cutscene QTEs 8-12 I would say. A very long jump may result in one hand grab which will leave you hanging until you hit 'E' to grab with your second hand. Door opening is a little like Batman Arkham City vents.

Edited by Fighter

Well you see, Fighter, the original Tomb Raider had combat that basically involved "once you start shooting a target, as long as you hold down shoot Lara will shoot at it if it's in her front 180 degree arc and she has line of sight on it."

So if it's not deep and compelling combat mechanic like the originals had, and instead a quicktime event to deal with melee combat, it's not good gameplay.

• Like 1