RANDOM VIDEA GAME NEWS!

Rosbjerg

You aren't going to pay full price for it because you feel entitled to a better experience than the console users? 

That's the whole misconception - the question is not a better but equal experience.

Dead Space has been infamous for it's poor port quality and especially it's controls.

Any bad PC port that dose not allow turning-off mouse acceleration is roughly equivalent to no 'invert axis' option on a console game.

Mouse and keyboard are still the preferred input method for a PC and if you are not going to account for that then you should not talk about experience being 'equal' to consoles.

You aren't going to pay full price for it because you feel entitled to a better experience than the console users? 

That's the whole misconception - the question is not a better but equal experience.

Dead Space has been infamous for it's poor port quality and especially it's controls.

Any bad PC port that dose not allow turning-off mouse acceleration is roughly equivalent to no 'invert axis' option on a console game.

Mouse and keyboard are still the preferred input method for a PC and if you are not going to account for that then you should not talk about experience being 'equal' to consoles.

I'd be more willing to accept this if there weren't huge lamentations about things like graphics effects and resolution support though.  Though I agree that the Dead Space port is pretty junk (and it shouldn't be).

I'm curious what people would think if a PC port stated that it required a game controller to be played, and if the control scheme was just ported outright.

I'd be more willing to accept this if there weren't huge lamentations about things like graphics effects and resolution support though.  Though I agree that the Dead Space port is pretty junk (and it shouldn't be).

I'm curious what people would think if a PC port stated that it required a game controller to be played, and if the control scheme was just ported outright.

That's rarely a problem, and I don't think Dark Souls is in the same class as things like Dead Space, it was never meant as a PC game and the developers are clearly devoid of PC development experience, I'm surprised it even exists. In this case people shouldn't complain about the effort, but question the decision for this to be the way they brought Dark Souls to the PC. Maybe going about it the way Double Fine brought Psychonauts to Mac OSX might have been the way to go.

It's fine for a game that operates on the assumption of analogue movement to require a controller, as Dustforce requires digital input like a keyboard. The thing is there's no point in terms of development in requiring a specific peripheral, it doesn't exactly take much work to support general types of input. There's games like Beyond Good and Evil and Fable The Lost Chapters where I'd like the option of using a controller. FPS on the other hand should use a mouse and keyboard, it's a silly notion to use a gamepad, not interested at all.

The problem with the term "doesn't take much work" is that games are made up of thousands of tasks that "don't take much work."  Just because a task isn't expected to take a long time, doesn't mean that said task should be a shoo-in and that there isn't an opportunity cost for working on it.

I have heard that one should not play Dark Souls without a controller, and know a few people that really enjoy it.  There are certainly advantages in requiring a specific peripheral type (probably moreso for design reasons than programming reasons).

It's not entitled, they're a company making products. If they don't want to support PC properly, and do lazy ports, of course I'm not going to pay full price for it, especially since I can buy better games that are made for PC. Since when is choosing to not buy an inferior product entitlement? Some of the **** being pulled looks more like contempt than laziness or incompetence, textures, key remapping, and FOV specifically.

I don't know but I also think there is air of superciliousness and entitlement coming from your opinion. It sounds like you are expecting PC products to automatically be better than Console products or you won't support them. You remind me of the French nobility before the revolution. I am not trying to insult you, I am just being honest.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

New PC Game announced: Neverwinter.

From a Febuary article in PC Gamer that caught my eye as I passed a magazine rack.

Its a MMORPG thats being put out by the company Cryptic ( who did Champions Online and Star Trek Online).

The game is essentially a form of Neverwinter Nights 3 continuation of the Bioware game line. The bad news, in my opinion, is that the company plans on using version 4 DnD rules...and not the generally preffered unofficial (v3.75?) Pathfinder rules that sentimental gamers are fond of.

This means I won't buy it. Anyways, since I didn't see any posts about this news during a quick forum search, I thought I'd give you guys here the heads up. Maybe this forum can spam enough objections about the version choice outloud...so that Cryptic will dump the v4 idea, and go with Pathfinder instead.

This may be old  but I am not sure why more people aren't commenting on this impending MMO. It looks like it will offer a real D&D experience, also Perfect World is releasing the Foundry which will allow players to create there own modules and adventures in the game for other people. I am obviously missing something that explains the lackluster excitement from these forums? :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This may be old  but I am not sure why more people aren't commenting on this impending MMO. It looks like it will offer a real D&D experience, also Perfect World is releasing the Foundry which will allow players to create there own modules and adventures in the game for other people. I am obviously missing something that explains the lackluster excitement from these forums? :)

Well, the class trailers for one, which look far more like a clunky GW2 clone(in sense of combat mechanics) than D&D (then again, the latest edition I've experienced is 3.5)

And the hilariously overpriced Founder's Packs ($200)

Edited by Nordicus

From a Febuary article in PC Gamer that caught my eye as I passed a magazine rack.

Its a MMORPG thats being put out by the company Cryptic ( who did Champions Online and Star Trek Online).

The game is essentially a form of Neverwinter Nights 3 continuation of the Bioware game line. The bad news, in my opinion, is that the company plans on using version 4 DnD rules...and not the generally preffered unofficial (v3.75?) Pathfinder rules that sentimental gamers are fond of.

This means I won't buy it. Anyways, since I didn't see any posts about this news during a quick forum search, I thought I'd give you guys here the heads up. Maybe this forum can spam enough objections about the version choice outloud...so that Cryptic will dump the v4 idea, and go with Pathfinder instead.

MMOs are no longer hip. There are numerous free-to-play ones and both the free and subscription based games are high quality, fun products. I do like the look of Neverwinter but I'm not excited about it because despite being beautiful and having some nice features it doesn't actually look very different at it's core from other MMOs I've played already.

Edited by Serrano

I avoid MMOs. my fix for on line play is with MOBA games (DotA2) or RTS (CoH, DoW). Used to spend a lot of time, I mean A LOT, on the original NWN PWs... the difference here is, that NWN used a mechanic where a character was doing all the combat, with instruction from the player (skills, spells). While this game is full player controlled combat. The other difference was that PWs that I've played, were really good on retaining the RP core, no silly builds, that have little to do with RP, etc. - It was an on-lline RPG experience, nearest to P&P, this, is way away from that from what I've seen... A standard MMO...

After playing WoW for a very long time, i too outgrown them. Only playing GW2 for some PVP action with my gang and recently bought Secret World when it went B2P. Splendid quests, very nice visual and superior gameworld with cluncky, boring combat(really?after Age of Conans combat this ones is joke...) and loads of bugs.

Oh speaking of WoW another rumor about WoW movie, i still think this is a bad idea...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/World-Warcraft-Movie-Gets-Director-Duncan-Jones-Starts-Fall-35418.html

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

There have been some informative responses around why you guys don't like MMOs. They make sense, I haven't played a MMO for about 2 years so I am definitely not an avid fan, but I do enjoy them. I do like the whole Foundry aspect of NWN Online. It will be cool to create dungeons and populate them with creatures and traps :)

John Milton 

There's a lot of **** thrown on the concept of DLC, but I find myself hyped and interested every time new DLC for CK2 is announced. I think the idea of DLC is brilliant. Developers continually making new content for the game you love? Sign me up.

http://www.crusaderkings.com/buy

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I think my response would be more based around it being DnD 4th Edition then strictly the MMO aspect. To be honest, any time I've tried sitting down and getting a feel for that edition it's made my skin crawl. The books have great art, but the mechanics just...  It's almost as if they've tried shoe-horning WoW rules into a DnD format and made it very.. hack n slash n model combatty. So having them then transfer that back into a computer game just hits me with a firm wince and "no".

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I think my response would be more based around it being DnD 4th Edition then strictly the MMO aspect. To be honest, any time I've tried sitting down and getting a feel for that edition it's made my skin crawl. The books have great art, but the mechanics just...  It's almost as if they've tried shoe-horning WoW rules into a DnD format and made it very.. hack n slash n model combatty. So having them then transfer that back into a computer game just hits me with a firm wince and "no".

I think thats the best explaination of why I don't like v4..that I have yet seen.. in word form.

There's a lot of **** thrown on the concept of DLC, but I find myself hyped and interested every time new DLC for CK2 is announced. I think the idea of DLC is brilliant. Developers continually making new content for the game you love? Sign me up.

http://www.crusaderkings.com/buy

Heh, they're selling portraits ?  Should try some of the CK2 expansions, did enjoy the base game

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Interesting news for all of you Suda 51 fans out there:

GungHo Online Entertainment, Inc. today announced it has acquired game development studio Grasshopper Manufacture INC., founded and led by legendary designer Goichi Suda, a.k.a SUDA51. According to the press release, SUDA51 and his team will continue to work as Grasshopper Manufacture, similar to the relationship GOE has with its other leading development studios including GRAVITY, Game Arts, and Acquire. Titles already in development at the studio before the acquisition will not be affected by the deal and will continue under their current publishing terms.

“We believe the strength of a publisher lies in its creative talent so with the addition of Grasshopper Manufacture and SUDA51 we are adding some of the most innovative talent in today’s gaming world to our stellar family of independently-operated studios,” said Kazuki Mori****a, President and CEO of GungHo Online Entertainment. “SUDA51 projects are known to put a unique spin on every game so coupled with our proven ability to support development with AAA resources including a tailored online experience, we believe gamers will benefit from this collaboration.”
“By joining GungHo Online Entertainment, we are aligning ourselves with a strong, established publishing force that will support our vision to further create inspired new games that appeal players across the world,” said Grasshopper Founder and Managing Director, Goichi Suda. “The Grasshopper team and I have many new ideas to share with our fans as we move forward so this union with GOE will help us realize our future plans.”

Source: GameTrailers

Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

GTA V to be released in September 17th 2013

Rockstar is not afraid of the Next-Gen consoles hype to take wind out of the sails.

Morgoth I am waiting in anticipation for you to post a link saying when GTA V will be released on PC, then you will REALLY be my hero !!!

John Milton 

It's not entitled, they're a company making products. If they don't want to support PC properly, and do lazy ports, of course I'm not going to pay full price for it, especially since I can buy better games that are made for PC. Since when is choosing to not buy an inferior product entitlement? Some of the **** being pulled looks more like contempt than laziness or incompetence, textures, key remapping, and FOV specifically.

I don't know but I also think there is air of superciliousness and entitlement coming from your opinion. It sounds like you are expecting PC products to automatically be better than Console products or you won't support them. You remind me of the French nobility before the revolution. I am not trying to insult you, I am just being honest.

Because PC is the automatically better platform, not because I expect the PC to be treated differently. It's the developers that have shown disdain for the PC as a platform if their game is not better than the console version, because they have not shown the platform the respect they did for the others. Console gamers would not put up with this.

The problem with the term "doesn't take much work" is that games are made up of thousands of tasks that "don't take much work."  Just because a task isn't expected to take a long time, doesn't mean that said task should be a shoo-in and that there isn't an opportunity cost for working on it.

I have heard that one should not play Dark Souls without a controller, and know a few people that really enjoy it.  There are certainly advantages in requiring a specific peripheral type (probably moreso for design reasons than programming reasons).

Obviously there's still a judgement of value to the task, and that's the point, these things are of such little cost but of such great value on the PC that it's quite clear that these people couldn't give less of a **** about the PC a gaming platform.

There's many games on PC that are way better with a gamepad. Gamepads and joysticks have been with PC gaming for as long as it has existed, they're not a console thing. That's one of the things that makes PC gaming better, for RTS and FPS, mouse and keyboard is a million times better, but for other games gamepad is better, I wouldn't attempt to play racing or flight simulators with a keyboard.

Microsoft phasing out XNA/DirectX development?

In the e-mail Microsoft also states that DirectX is “no longer evolving as a technology” and that XNA Game Studio is "not in active development", and as a result XNA would be axed as of April 1st 2014.

April 1st huh? It's like Microsoft wants to fail. Guess the Khronos group will have something new to cheer.

Always wanted a proper excuse to install Ubuntu.

Edited by Morgoth

Because PC is the automatically better platform, not because I expect the PC to be treated differently. It's the developers that have shown disdain for the PC as a platform if their game is not better than the console version, because they have not shown the platform the respect they did for the others. Console gamers would not put up with this.

Haha, you just defined 95 % of multiplatform releases on PS3. They seem to have put up with it just fine. :D

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif