RANDOM VIDEA GAME NEWS!

Rosbjerg

I expected the OUYA to follow the hardware cycles, it's not milking, the Xbox 360 and PS3 are milking the same hardware for years. If you don't have to rebuy the controller every year, the OUYA on its own could be even cheaper than $100, more like $70. PC gaming has had 6 month GPU cycles for a long time, that's why PC gamers aren't playing games on 8 year old hardware. Maintaining backwards compatibility, and launching every year is going to be hard for them.

A new Ouya model every year

Milking that magic cow for all its worth, it would seem...

Death in Star Citizen

I approve of this mechanic and making the results of dying obvious in more than just a statistic. The comments do indicate there will be places to reset your counter in-game, for those who are flush with in-game cash and don't want to take the death-ding.

I really like that, might be first MMO worth playing after long time for me...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Not video game related per se, but it's Warhammer, so you get this anyway:

http://mcahogarth.org/?p=10593

Writer sued by Games Workshop for using the Space Marine term.

On a different note:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461687407/kickstarter-open-source-death-star

Edited by Oner

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the downfall of the first Death Star due to open source plans?

No, the first Death Stars was closed source and the theft of the

plans resulting in the loss of many Bothan lives. Had the previous Death

Star plans been more open, someone might have spotted the obvious

design flaw. We believe that an open source project is safer, cheaper

and better for everyone.

Tsk, Bothans died to get the Death Star II plans (which had no design flaw, if I recall).

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Sometime prior to the Death Star plans arriving on Polis Massa, rogue Imperial Moff Kalast aided the Rebellion with information linked to the battlestation. The Bothan Spynet had acquired secret top priority Imperial codes from the Death Star and transferred them to Kalast who, in turn, delivered them to the Rebellion.[1]

After learning of the combined treachery of both the Spynet and Kalast, Emperor Palpatine personally traveled to Bothawui to punish the Bothans. The Emperor, along with two of his Royal Guards, slaughtered a large number of Bothans. One Bothan, begging for his life, informed the Emperor that the plans were to be beamed to the Tantive IV in the Tatoo system. The Emperor regrouped with Vader, who had learned the same, and ordered his servant to Tatooine.[1]"

Hm, don't remember that - always thought it was an intercept.  Must be new or I just missed it back when I kept up with SW stuff, ah well, I stand corrected.   You'd think they would have just killed every Bothan, for all the trouble they cause.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's Expanded Universe so there's no reason why you or anyone else should remember it, I only did because someone pointed it out to me as an example of how convoluted the EU had got. From what I remember there are about half a dozen different bits of the EU that deal with how the rebels got the plans for DS1 and they're pretty much mutually incompatible without some pretty silly retcons, Bothans Did It is just one of them.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if they meant the DS2 plans since that is from a movie but yeah, saying that Bothans died to get the DS1 plans is technically accurate.

The only bad thing I see about the time frame is that it could be restrictive (unless they are perfectly okay with you creating alternate universe endings).

I pointed out that The Old Republic’s relative lack of success could have Disney seeing that license in a less than favorable light.

The complete and utter irony of all those fans that would have loved to see a KOTOR 3 but were hoping for TOR to fail for no other reason than spite.

• Like 1

TOR had a 'relative lack of success' because it was way too expensive. It sold well, has a decent player base (not me); but costing 1 billion dollars is just stupid for any video game espicially a MMO based on a franchise/game (KOTOR1) that sold approx. 3mil copies. L0L

Anyways, why can't Obsidian move on from SW? Stick with PE, and other stuff. Try for a new DnD game (lol PE lol); but SW has always been overrated and contrary to popular belief, being a SW game doesn't equal insta success. heck, sales wise, TOR is one of the more successful SW games most likely.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

TOR had a 'relative lack of success' because it was way too expensive. It sold well, has a decent player base (not me); but costing 1 billion dollars is just stupid for any video game espicially a MMO based on a franchise/game (KOTOR1) that sold approx. 3mil copies. L0L

Anyways, why can't Obsidian move on from SW? Stick with PE, and other stuff. Try for a new DnD game (lol PE lol); but SW has always been overrated and contrary to popular belief, being a SW game doesn't equal insta success. heck, sales wise, TOR is one of the more successful SW games most likely.

Did it really cost 1 Billion, I thought it was about 400 Million dollars?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Still ridiculous cost for a game...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Not video game related per se, but it's Warhammer, so you get this anyway:

http://mcahogarth.org/?p=10593

Writer sued by Games Workshop for using the Space Marine term.

On a different note:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461687407/kickstarter-open-source-death-star

Jesus ****, a guy can't use the term for a marine who deploys off planet a space marine? Really?

Did ****ing the alien series have to get permission from GW?

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Yes! YES! I pledge to sacrifice my firstborn in MCA's honor if this goes through.

The only bad thing I see about the time frame is that it could be restrictive (unless they are perfectly okay with you creating alternate universe endings).

The events of the game doesn't have to decide the fate of the galaxy, now does it? It can decide the fate of a planet, a city, a space station, a character... whatever they want us to invest time in and get attached to.

Batman: [intimidate] "Let her go".

Joker: [Failure] "Very poor choice of words."

The complete and utter irony of all those fans that would have loved to see a KOTOR 3 but were hoping for TOR to fail for no other reason than spite.

They wanted it to fail because they didn't like it. They were spiteful in presentation, but the underlying behind it shouldn't be simply dismissed.

If you wish to imply that the possibility of a KOTOR 3 rested on TOR being a success, that's not something that the audience ever had reason to believe in. Lengths were gone to in order to express that TOR would be KOTOR 3, from direct statements to that effect to trying to resolve the plotlines of KOTOR 1 and 2. Resolutions that were also poorly received.

It's a double edged sword. If a game that takes a franchise in a direction fans do not like is successful, then future games will follow continue to follow the new direction. If it is unsuccessful, then the property may be shelved. But at least there's a chance the property may re-evaluate the new direction, as is happening with Resident Evil.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

They wanted it to fail because they didn't like it. They were spiteful in presentation, but the underlying behind it shouldn't be simply dismissed.

I'm referring to comments long before the release of the game.  Those that saw it as "we're getting SWTOR instead of KOTOR 3" and that the mere existence of SWTOR meant that the chances of there ever being a KOTOR 3 were somehow compromised.

If you wish to imply that the possibility of a KOTOR 3 rested on TOR being a success, that's not something that the audience ever had reason to believe in.

That's the irony.  It doesn't take a genius to see how big publishers work in this regard.  If the game epically tanks, it's going to scare investment away.  You're right that it's a double edged sword, but one side is significantly less sharp.  Especially when it concerns big budget AAA types of titles.

Yes there's people that disliked TOR simply because they didn't enjoy the game.  I'm not referring to those people.  Anyone that thinks that the abject failure of TOR improves the chances of a KOTOR 3 moreso than TOR being successful aren't really seeing the big picture.  It wasn't like KOTOR was a super hot commodity and really hasn't been for upwards of 8 years now.  There's a much greater chance of spinoff type projects when a property is seen as successful and lucrative, and if you get a Feargus Urquhart pitching "I have a great idea for a KOTOR 3 that will help bridge the gap from KOTOR 2 into TOR" and TOR is a screaming success, the big suits start seeing $$$$$ in their eyes.  No, BioWare wouldn't be the one making it, but I doubt BioWare would have ever made a KOTOR 3 regardless.

• Like 2

Those that saw it as "we're getting SWTOR instead of KOTOR 3" and that the mere existence of SWTOR meant that the chances of there ever being a KOTOR 3 were somehow compromised.

That was a marketing message of TOR. That TOR is KOTOR 3. If people got that impression, it seemed to be the intended one.

That's the irony.  It doesn't take a genius to see how big publishers work in this regard.  If the game epically tanks, it's going to scare investment away.  You're right that it's a double edged sword, but one side is significantly less sharp.  Especially when it concerns big budget AAA types of titles.

We'll have to disagree there. I've never seen the less sharp side you claim. I mean, what, if TOR had succeeded, maybe we would have seen KOTOR Mobile, sure. But not a full-on KOTOR 3. Resident Evil 5's success is what caused Resident Evil 6. And it's only with the drop off in RE6 sales (though it was a success overall) that are causing them to step back. They made Revelations in the classic style, but it was made for handhelds. And it seems as if the lowered expectations for 6 are the reason Revelations will be hitting consoles.

Anyone that thinks that the abject failure of TOR improves the chances of a KOTOR 3 moreso than TOR being successful aren't really seeing the big picture.  It wasn't like KOTOR was a super hot commodity and really hasn't been for upwards of 8 years now.  There's a much greater chance of spinoff type projects when a property is seen as successful and lucrative, and if you get a Feargus Urquhart pitching "I have a great idea for a KOTOR 3 that will help bridge the gap from KOTOR 2 into TOR" and TOR is a screaming success, the big suits start seeing $$$$$ in their eyes.

I don't think there's many people at all that think TOR's failure improves the chances of KOTOR 3. I think it's more that TOR has hurt the chances of a KOTOR 3 they would like. I have not heard any interest from anyone in a KOTOR that bridges 2 and TOR. The only clamor for a KOTOR 3 I've heard of is one that strikes TOR from the record.

They would prefer a re-evaluation. And successes won't cause that.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Angry Birds: NASA Edition

The Kennedy Space Center is looking to install an Angry Birds Space Encounter exhibit. I can only presume the intent is to better illustrate how differently objects move in space as opposed to on Earth... not a bad idea.

I'm pretty sure having rocket scientists from NASA come up with Angry Bird puzzles is a great way to make me fail miserably at solving them.