What are you playing now?

Gorth

Anyway. Here's what I'm playing: ****ING BLIGHTTOWN

Those who know what I'm talking about know what I'm talking about. Those who don't, well... count yourself amongst the fortunate.

Also TF2. The past month or so of playing mostly Dark Souls and SRW has made me too rusty in it. I need to spend a few hours abusing new/f2p players on 24/7 2fort and valve servers for practice.

Blighttown is easy. You go down, then straigh, you jump, drop down, go right and save. You continue on until you reach the end of the way, drop down, go trough a cave, drop down twice, the go left and drop down and repeat that until you reach the bottom. Then you go right and save. You continue right, kill a Red Phantom, continue on to a trader and then continue up to a cave with spider web decor. You go down, summon the phantom, kill the boss, ring the bell and warp to the save. You go right and then up until you reach the exit. All done. :)

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Very funny, joker. Now what? Do I have to fight that stupid giant demon obviously meant for lv 300 players or hoof it all the way back to the first bell to get to Sen's Fortress?

Anyone have any recent knowledge/opinions about the upcoming Nuclear Union by 1C? From screens, description, and a 2012 Gamescom gameplay trailer It sort of looks like a cross between Stalker and (Beth's) Fallout.

I like the look of it, no way to say anything concerning gameplay. Backstory is obviously kind of derivative of Fallout, setting is obviously inspired by Chernobyl, which is more realistic than Beth's Fallout 3, anyway. Definitely has the look of STALKER, but that's probably more because that's what everything looks like in the region. Level design looks more dynamic and varied than F3's. I figure it'll play more like a proper shooter than F3. Edited by AGX-17

More Suikoden. The intro is finally over and I'd forgotten that if you say the right things, one of your bodyguards will beat you into unconciousness to get you out of the palace during the Coup.

And I'd mis-remembered the amount of time it takes to get to the coup (out of the prologue basically)... 6:30. Six and a half hours of world building and set up for the actual conflict of the game.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Trying to reach the epilogue in Dragon's Dogma. It has been...a very interesting journey, to say the least. 

I'm going for Borderlands 2 DLC's after I'm done with this. 

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Is the Dead Space series any good?  The newest one is out today, I believe.  I'm desperate for a new game to play, and based on the trailer, this one reminds me of some bastard hybrid between ME, Halo, and the Aliens movies.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I haven't played them yet, but from what I've seen the game is more along the lines of Resident Evil meets Aliens. The atmosphere and difficulty are some of the main selling points I recall.

The first and second game should probably go for cheap on Steam if you want to test them before leaping into the new game. Worth your money if you're into survival horror games. The new game's gotten some flak from fans due to implementing co-op and the marketing's emphasis on the action-y aspects, but will have to see how that turns out.

Personally, I bought the first two during the Summer Sale and have been... well, not playing anything really. Need to get around to clearing my backlog...

I would probably be getting 3 if the freeze issue I had with 2 hadn't made me terrified to play it again. :(

Seriously, it made me think my PS3 was dying. I deleted all my install and save info to try to fix it. But I've never been able to pick it back up to actually see if it's fixed.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Is the Dead Space series any good?  The newest one is out today, I believe.  I'm desperate for a new game to play, and based on the trailer, this one reminds me of some bastard hybrid between ME, Halo, and the Aliens movies.

I found them to be excellent and very scary. You fight different types of aliens and you have this constant  surreal and dreamlike vision of a certain person you are looking for as you explore this creepy ship. Definitely worth playing :) 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Trying out the Mount & Blade: Warband demo.  I can't even really begin to play the game.  I'm all for games not holding your hand but this game explains exactly nothing to you.  For example:  How the **** do you dismount?  I've been trying different keys, looking through the control options and...  nothing.  I'm thinking of just trying the original Mount & Blade demo because that (hopefully) doesn't have horses...  Wait, it's called Mount & Blade, so it almost certainly has horses. 

*sigh*

Edit:  Okay, figured it out.  I wish it had been a bit more intuitive than "look at your feet and press 'F'", but at least I know what to do now.  Other than giving you no direction whatsoever (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but they should explain some of the basics at least) the game seems pretty cool.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yes, the first one in particular has a very good atmosphere and I would not have been disappointed by it actually being System Shock 3 as (supposedly) was the original intent (and it does use some stuff very similar to SS2's design docs, eg hydroponics). It's 3rd person with an emphasis on using 'tactics' rather than just volume firing as you need to dismember attackers to reduce their speed or attack efficiency, use a gravity gun to chuck stuff at them etc. Your movement is slow and it is pretty easy to die on higher difficulties, there are also some quite large difficulty spikes with regards to bosses. Having said that, DS3 is supposedly heading a bit more towards straight GoW type gameplay. Think there's a demo for consoles, if that's where you're thinking of buying.

Quick word of warning for any left handed (like myself) gamers looking at dead space, the cursor keys and their surrounding ilk are not re-bindable as direction keys in the first dead space game.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The first one was a real horror game, and as has been mentioned, it's been getting less horror and more "space marine" action with each installment thus far. Edited by AGX-17

So far DeadSpace 3 seems like a better game than it's predecessor, less obvious encounter with a tad more challenge. Which is why I would recommend to anyone that they don't buy until EA patches their busted checkpoint system that has you repeating encounters you completed an hour ago just because you decided to quit the game before a savepoint.

Really ****ing annoying.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It's got save points rather than being able to save at any time you like?  That would almost be a major reason not to buy it for me.  I'm not a fan of games that don't allow you to save at any point.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I seriously tried to give The Cave a chance. It just is not a good game.

They tried to mix platformer with adventure. As a platformer it is terrible. The controls are bad (and apparently worse when played with a gamepad as it was originaly intended).

As an adventure it may have had potential had mixing it with a platformer not turned it into an Adventure Lite. Pushing a block onto a pressure plate is not the quality or depth of puzzle one would expect from the maker of games such as Monkey Island.

Some of the character areas may have interesting bits in them. Thus the Time Traveler level is a nice touch back to Day of the Tentacle. But even those nice moments are plagued by the game's tedious running back and forth.

Artificialy trying to make it appear longer than the couple of hours of gameplay it has, is a major design point of the game. Thus there are 7 characters of which you choose 3 for your playthrough. Each character has 2 endings, so to see them all you have to play through the game 5 times. The endings only depend on your choice at the very end though, making both playthroughs with the same character identical. Autosave and Save & Exit though are meant to keep you from simply loading the game again at the end. You have to start from scrap if you want to see one different ending screen.

And every time you start the game, you have to listen to the intro speech. There is no skipping it. It may have been (kinda) witty and cute the first time round. The second time was still ok as one remembers that it was fun the first time. The third time round though...

In the end, there is not enough story to justify not playing the game and watching a youtube video of it instead, but there also is not enough story to truly make it worth enduring bad, reptitive gameplay.

Good thing the game was cheap.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I only tried the first Dead Space but I wasn't too impressed with it. I think most of all, I was disappointed in how they failed to live up some of the gorgeously lit areas with the scariness factor. I know people say that the series is veering into "Space Marine" territory but I think the first game was already too "action-y" and sorta... I dunno, loud and obnoxious to be really scary. And it's a shame because like I said, some of the environs were really well done I think.

That said, the game was still kinda fun on its own. But it never really grabbed me.

Personally, playing more Civ V + expansion. Currently playing a game as Napoleon where I'm really stomping the others, aiming for a cultural victory. Not even sure why it's going so well this time around.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Trying out the Mount & Blade: Warband demo.  I can't even really begin to play the game.  I'm all for games not holding your hand but this game explains exactly nothing to you.  For example:  How the **** do you dismount?  I've been trying different keys, looking through the control options and...  nothing.  I'm thinking of just trying the original Mount & Blade demo because that (hopefully) doesn't have horses...  Wait, it's called Mount & Blade, so it almost certainly has horses. 

*sigh*

Edit:  Okay, figured it out.  I wish it had been a bit more intuitive than "look at your feet and press 'F'", but at least I know what to do now.  Other than giving you no direction whatsoever (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but they should explain some of the basics at least) the game seems pretty cool.

Yeah, had the same problem and had to Google it. Anyway, in the absence of anything better to do, I played it anyway despite the regular graphics corruption up to level 4-5, and while it was passable, I don't think there's quite enough there to convince me to buy it just yet. It has, however, made me aware of the upcoming sequel which I would otherwise have ignored.

Technical issues aside, I guess what didn't work for me in the game was how much of it boiled down to waiting for things to happen: waiting for bandits to spawn, then waiting for you to catch bandits slooooowly, waiting for the RNG to allow that noble to give you a quest instead of fobbing you off - in the end I felt I spent more time doing nothing than time spent doing something, and that's not a great thing to be happening in a game. Maybe that changes later when you have enough power to do things on your own initiative, like waging war against other nations, but I imagine that's out of scope for the demo. There's a lot of stuff that feels like busywork. I don't see why you have to walk slowly around a primitive interior representation of a castle to talk to the resident ruler, or wandering around a deserted village looking for the one NPC with meaningful interaction (the village elder) instead of just interfacing directly from the town menu.

In the end I guess I'll say this: The good part is that it's sort of a mashup of Pirates! and Darklands. The bad part is that it's an inferior to Pirates! and Darklands.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Omg, here I'm giving you the chance to play an excellent Ultima clone the size of Dagerfall on your Android device (ie. phone) and not even one comment about it?!

I NEED A NEW FORUM!!1!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

*sigh*

Yeah, had the same problem and had to Google it. Anyway, in the absence of anything better to do, I played it anyway despite the regular graphics corruption up to level 4-5, and while it was passable, I don't think there's quite enough there to convince me to buy it just yet. It has, however, made me aware of the upcoming sequel which I would otherwise have ignored.

Technical issues aside, I guess what didn't work for me in the game was how much of it boiled down to waiting for things to happen: waiting for bandits to spawn, then waiting for you to catch bandits slooooowly, waiting for the RNG to allow that noble to give you a quest instead of fobbing you off - in the end I felt I spent more time doing nothing than time spent doing something, and that's not a great thing to be happening in a game. Maybe that changes later when you have enough power to do things on your own initiative, like waging war against other nations, but I imagine that's out of scope for the demo. There's a lot of stuff that feels like busywork. I don't see why you have to walk slowly around a primitive interior representation of a castle to talk to the resident ruler, or wandering around a deserted village looking for the one NPC with meaningful interaction (the village elder) instead of just interfacing directly from the town menu.

In the end I guess I'll say this: The good part is that it's sort of a mashup of Pirates! and Darklands. The bad part is that it's an inferior to Pirates! and Darklands.

Once I got the hang of it and figured out all the controls and what to do, I started to really like the game.  It's maybe not quite as good as Sid Meier's Pirates!, but that's setting the bar really really high.  Anyway, I'll likely scoop it up when it's on sale.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks