What you did today

Gorth

Being a parent I can understand their position, you never stop worring about your child no matter the age. Hell, Ive installed an app on my daughters phone called "Friend Finder" which allows me to track her with my phone via GPS. Thats right, I want to know within 6 feet where my daugher is at all times. "YOURE A MONSTER GFTED1" you shout? Yes, yes I am.

And TBH, as long as all of you are living under your parents roof you should expect a bit of privacy invasion.

... At least you gave her a phone that has that function. Mine wanted to be in constant contact but I had to buy and pay for my own phone.

"Well why didn't you call us?"

"With WHAT!?"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Just got back from town having picked up a new suit for the wedding. Probably spent more money then I should, but I got sucked into the Savoy Taylor's and dang it, it's a good suit with a great fit.

And it works with both formal shoes and my snakeskin cowboy boots..... :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Being a parent I can understand their position, you never stop worring about your child no matter the age. Hell, Ive installed an app on my daughters phone called "Friend Finder" which allows me to track her with my phone via GPS. Thats right, I want to know within 6 feet where my daugher is at all times. "YOURE A MONSTER GFTED1" you shout? Yes, yes I am.

And TBH, as long as all of you are living under your parents roof you should expect a bit of privacy invasion.

We also have a version if that with my parents, we all worry about each other. Dad's 75 this year... Mutual keeping an eye on each other :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

that is not OK, you need to let go. (at least after 16 years of age)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

that is not OK, you need to let go. (at least after 16 years of age)

Are you a parent?

Is 16 some magical age where the kid is safe from bad things happening?

I would say 18, maybe, but honestly as long as I'm paying for the phone I don't see why I wouldn't want to track it. There are too many good reasons to do so. From simple reasons like lost or stolen phones, or miscommunication, to more serious issues like abductions. It adds a safety net. It's not just about trust, I trust my wife implicitly, but we both have ways of tracking each other's phones and other electronic devices. Usually I use it to figure out where to pick her up at work, or if she is on her way home safely when out late. Why distract her driving with a phone call? Why sit up worrying when she is running late? Plus my wife regularly turns her ringer off and forgets to turn it back on.

My kids are young, but I plan on knowing exactly where they are at all times until they move out, and then I hope to have a decent idea where they are even after that. It's called being involved as a parent.

Edited by Hurlshot

Two complete years... and I'll basically be 29 before I start a career

That's what happened to me.

I got my first full time job at older than that (worked multiple part time jobs and spent almost a decade looking for full-time work after graduating with my degree (which wasn't an art, music, theater or English degree, thankyouverymuch) - also took a detour in trying pitch novels & comic ideas for a few years).

As I tell students who complain about the amount of time it takes to get their goals - including some who miss admissions and registration dates - you're not in a race with anyone but yourself. As long as you don't abandon your goal, you can succeed. It just may not be the most direct (or even the easiest) path.

Yeah, but your parents didn't exactly see you as a total failure with no future because you'd been trying this **** for 9 years, and are still single because they wouldn't even let you close the damn door to your room if there was a member of the opposite sex within earshot.

Even if your parents see you as a total failure, only in persevering will you have the ability to "shove it in their face" (metaphorically speaking, of course).

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Ah, the wonderful benefits of technology. Well until she figures out to either just leave the phone at home or turn it off to work around it (though with people today the former is akin to self-mutilation :p).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ah, the wonderful benefits of technology. Well until she figures out to either just leave the phone at home or turn it off to work around it (though with people today the former is akin to self-mutilation :p).

I love technology. If I thought I could get away with it I would have a chip implanted under her skin. :lol:

Shes fully aware of the app and never fought me on it. She even goes so far to use it to see where I am! And you are absolutely right about going without the phone, I cant remember the last time I saw her without the phone in her pocket and a set of earbuds hanging out of her ear.

Now you're just training her for when the NWO takes over! I guess it does depend from kid to kid though, some might need more watching than others that get their head on well enough. And a cell's not much use if they're a victim of a hostile act, I'd imagine.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Now you're just training her for when the NWO takes over! I guess it does depend from kid to kid though, some might need more watching than others that get their head on well enough. And a cell's not much use if they're a victim of a hostile act, I'd imagine.

Shes 12 now so she doesnt require constant oversight, Im just ridiculously overprotective. And I realize its not a shield for all hostilities that could befall her but its a tool Id rather have than not have.

More drama at work. I did learn that you can't dig yourself out of a hole. Apart from that, I'm so glad to be rid of this place. Apparently, the feeling is mutual.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Pondering on the fact that so far this year, I've been getting to sleep more often then not around the 3-4am mark, and then awake and dozing to fully conscious again around the 9-10am mark...  I think I need to try getting my sleep patterns back into a more decent order.

Also, it has snowed. Local traffic has been fairly gridlocked, and the dogs have been having silly fun with a garden covered in inches deep snow.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Woke up early, trying to catch up on the forum a bit. :) It's been a weird week and it's not quite over.

Re: parenting - I keep seeing TV ads for Comcast monitoring. The ads show a camera perspective and "watching" kids as they enter the house, walk through a hallway, in a kitchen, etc., then a mom watching this happening from her office via her phone app or something. I find that a bit much. I'm not a parent, but I can't imagine my own parents being comfortable with sort of tool to keep an eye on things 24/7. Too (book) 1984'ish. Tech generational gaps I guess.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So today I'm going in for a vasectomy.  

:aiee:

I'm pretty nervous about it, but they did give me a valium to take before the surgery.  That should be interesting, I've never taken anything like that, only painkillers when I've broken stuff.  I'm perfectly fine with the idea, I've got two great kids, my wife is really at the age where getting pregnant would be risking her own health.  But that doesn't make the whole process any less frightening.

I did leverage this into some pre-surgery "quality time" from the missus.  :brows:

• Like 1

I have been pondering starting a counter thread to this one:

"What else you did today"

And try to reap the success this thread has been having.

I'm scared a bit of the ensuing legal battle, where I'll have to reinburse the views and posts generated by the similarity of thread names. Though I guess if I hire Nepenthe, he'll take care of that.

That only leaves the problem of havign actual success with the spin off thread. I may have to do a bit more market research first and then decide on a clear and distinct brand positioning.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Wouldn't a counter be "What you didn't do today ?"

• Like 1

Nah, we'd have too many posts in that thread.