What you did today

Gorth

Today, I AM THE LAW.

Roughly 18 months ago, I was part of a meeting discussing some draft legislation with a staffer for a particular congressional subcommittee Chair. I wrote up the collection of comments that I and my co-workers had on the draft bill, which included re-wording some things that the staffer was obviously trying to accomplish, but not in an especially clear or cogent fashion.

As of today, a different version of that bill-- but with the legislative language that I re-wrote intact-- became a Public Law of the United States.

I AM THE LAW!!

That's a good feeling, I managed to get it once in the year I spent here lobbying. Smaller place, though, easier to sneak stuff in. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I just lost my Intuos pen because I forgot it behind and so to punish myself I walked 4 miles home under the Floridian sun...at noon; that will teach me :sweat:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Buying a 2nd hand Technics SL1210mk2 on ebay. Kind of buying a 475 euro lottery ticket. But I think I need to buy something out of the ordinary to cheer myself up, and a turntable to replace to the one I flogged to make ends meet when I was clerking five years ago seems like a good purchase.

Good score for me, manager visiting left about 5 pens on his desk. Sorting through them for ones worth stealing for good, rather amazing how many people break off the clip part of the pen.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

At home for a night, chemically adjusted to better cope with reality for the evening, lamb cooking in the oven and veggies on the boil, music, youtube, random bull**** with friends...just so glad to be home for one night, my mum is coping well enough that I left my nephew with her :)

And apparently I have movement induced vertigo. Which requires physical therapy to dislodge from my inner ear.

And my health insurance died a week and a half ago.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

And apparently I have movement induced vertigo. Which requires physical therapy to dislodge from my inner ear.

And my health insurance died a week and a half ago.

Or you could learn ballet.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Not sure if this should be in the "funny stuff" thread... but I got offered a job in the boondocks (as I guessed I might), and I accepted. I'm moving from a 60+ person lobbying firm into a 3 lawyer nitty gritty country full service one. And I'm ecstatic.

When can we expect a video of you scratching on it? :p

No. I'm actually buying it mostly for hifi use, because it actually makes a really good price/quality alternative for that use. The availability of the Ortofon Concorde cart family makes it so much less of a pain to set up than most turntables. + I like the way it looks.>:)

• Like 3

Not sure if this should be in the "funny stuff" thread... but I got offered a job in the boondocks (as I guessed I might), and I accepted. I'm moving from a 60+ person lobbying firm into a 3 lawyer nitty gritty country full service one. And I'm ecstatic.

Nice one Nep, thats good news :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nice one Nep, thats good news :)

Thanks. I'm also terrified, but, hey.

Congrats on that Nep. Here's to a less annoying and not so personally stressful working environment. Of course, being in a 3 lawyer full service is going to be stress of a whole nother matter. But hopefully a better type of stress.. :shifty:

It be thunder and rain here all morning long. I took advantage of things to just pretty much stay in bed until noon. The last week has just been awkward , and it seems like the whole family is dealing with troubles focusing and mass procrastination on all sorts of things.

Still haven't hear from someone I expected to over the christmas/new year period and I'm trying to juggle annoyance/worry over it. Pondering on when to poke that boundary and try to find out how they're doing. Which probably sounds odd, but it's a ..sort of complicated situation.

Haven't even managed to sit down and seriously play any games on the pc lately. After about 15 minutes I'm just not engaging so I'm quitting out. And apart from A Memory of Light I haven't been able ot focus enough to read much the last week. Kind of been poking a bit at work, poking a bit at family matters, getting various errands sorted and half juggling attempts at reading things and catching up on tv shows that have been stacking up over the last year.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well, hope the new job isn't upsetting for you.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

congrats Nepenthe

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

It's 5:45 AM here.. a cute girl is wondering why I'm on this website and sharing this - just thought I would! Sleep tight guys and remember to live while you have the chance.. Also I'm slightly under the influence.

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

I broke-up with my girlfriend and it looks like we're likely not going to get back together (although we will still remain friends). Kinda wishing that I was in the same state of mind as Ros - being drunk might help lessen the sting.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Wow, you know it's good night when you are just grinning like a fool because you remember random stuff.. But I had no idea I was in here writing when I came home. Although I do imagine she found it a bit perplexing heh.

I broke-up with my girlfriend and it looks like we're likely not going to get back together (although we will still remain friends). Kinda wishing that I was in the same state of mind as Ros - being drunk might help lessen the sting.

Hey, I was in the same place as you man, broke up with my gf in november. It takes a little while, but you'll get over it - hang out with friends and just try to have a good time about it.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

It was 28F last night here. Make fun all you want about how that's wussy weather, but I was cold. I mean, geez, I had to toss another blanket on the bed. :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I donno... the rediculous amount of stress in my life is starting to trigger a depressive state on my bipolar.

This is combined with the fact that I will possibly be unable to enter school for the summer semester due to horrible timing, and thus will graduate around christmas of 2014 if not spring.

Starting to feel like I have no future.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.