What you did today

Gorth

Farewell my friends! Tomorrow I set out on a great quest. Like mighty Prometheus who stole fire from Olympus to light the way for man, I go to bring the light of free WiFi to the shoppers of select Simon malls in the American Midwest. No longer will teenage girls have to use their valuble cell phone minutes to update their Facebook pages with that "perfect" outfit they just bought. No longer will big box stores have to use expensive UMTS cards in their barcode scanners for inventory control. No longer will the ATM machine in the food courts take ten seconds to give customers their cash. Soon we'll have that down to eight.

Anyway, I'm on the road for a while tomorrow so I won't be able to supervise you guys. So please stay out of trouble. See you all in March.

Bye GD

You make me laugh :grin:

Keep well, you will be missed but we'll see you in March :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

By the way guys where has Cantousent been? :unsure:

Does anyone know, I miss his commments.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

so today we broke the news to her.

she had no idea what we'd been up to, and when she read the little scroll explaining everything she just broke down and starting crying her eyes out

You guys should check the forecasts before booking the trip, the whole of the UK have been having some lousy weather lately including flooding in various parts and Scotland usually takes the brunt of our bad weather.

Edited by Serrano

Ditto

I totally leveraged that this morning.

I think I've about exhausted the pool of eligible women I know, so I now have to start looking. What a bore.

Or you could try a different approach; have you considered donning a monocle, top hat and fake mustache and walking up to them in disguise?

Are you suggesting that isn't my normal appearance, barring the fakeness of the mustache? I AM a Doctor of Laws (LL.D.), after all!

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I spent the last 30 minutes filling out an application form for a second time because I didn't notice the timer at the top of the page telling me how long I had before the session timed out the first go around. At least I had half of the questions typed out in a txt file so I only had to copy and paste those answer rather than trying to remember it all from scratch.

@Shryke - what a great heartwarming thing. That's awesome you and your siblings were able to do that for your mom. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Cant has always been a somewhat sporadic guest around here, ever since the "Eldar" days. He popped up for the first time in quite a while when P:E was announced, and posted regularly for a bit, but it seems like he's drifted away again.

While he's gone, we just console ourselves with the fact that all the other posters here are his alt accounts.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

I go to bring the light of free WiFi to the shoppers of select Simon malls in the American Midwest. No longer will teenage girls have to use their valuble cell phone minutes to update their Facebook pages with that "perfect" outfit they just bought. No longer will big box stores have to use expensive UMTS cards in their barcode scanners for inventory control. No longer will the ATM machine in the food courts take ten seconds to give customers their cash. Soon we'll have that down to eight.

Anyway, I'm on the road for a while tomorrow so I won't be able to supervise you guys. So please stay out of trouble. See you all in March.

You're doing god's work GD. Take care during your life on the road!

Let's see, I don't know where to start. My broken tooth became infected, which meant I spent the better chunk of the x-mas holidays doped up on a ton of advil for the busiest season at work. Literally every dentist office in my hometown closed down until after new years, and I wasn't going to spend my only day off (the 25th) waiting at the emergency room for a dentist to come in on call. I went to a walk in clinic and got a prescription for the infection, which is absolutely brutal on my stomach. Now, with less than two days to go before the antibiotics are done, I start getting a few more of the common side effects, namely a wicked rash all over my body.

Then our dishwasher crapped out on boxing day. I bought a new unit, but had to wait for it to be shipped. It arrived today, and a friend and I tried to install it. Unfortunately my old one was wired into the breaker box, with just enough cable to reach the power box underneath. With the new one, the power box is located on the opposite side of the dishwasher, and now there isn't enough wire to reach. I hate electrical work. I suck at mechanical work, but can usually fumble my way through. I hate messing with wiring, though. I'm always afraid that whatever I wire is going to burn down the house or something.

Ah well, I guess we'll invite the parents and inlaws over for supper tomorrow and get some better advice on what to do with the damn thing.

edit: there were some positives, too.

31 days until a nice vacation in Antigua

I barely managed to squeeze onto my sales matrix at work for the year ending. I should be in line for a $5206 bonus before the taxman decides to take his chunk.

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Cant has always been a somewhat sporadic guest around here, ever since the "Eldar" days. He popped up for the first time in quite a while when P:E was announced, and posted regularly for a bit, but it seems like he's drifted away again.

While he's gone, we just console ourselves with the fact that all the other posters here are his alt accounts.

Aaaah okay. Thanks Enoch, so we should see him pop up later :)

John Milton 

you can "like" posts now?!

i feel like an old fuddy duddy

Yeah its a cool feature. For me it was always there when I became active on these forums since the start of the PE Kickstarter campaign.

John Milton 

Spent most of my waking hours at work during the weekend. Personally not happy with the results, and (a first to me) I know that the expectations leveled at me by others exceed my own. SO happy to be moving on from here. Guess I'll know tomorrow whether it'll be end of January or February...

Last night my 2 brothers came up from the coast with there g-friends to stay with me. They are going skiing in Austria and today they were catching the necessary international flight. We had a really good time and it was great to see them as they never come to Johannesburg. We got pizza, smoked some weed and watched a variety of humorous movies. :)

John Milton 

Slept in, missed the FA Cup match but largely I don't think I missed much. Passion for backing my team is waning, well that and I'm losing my discipline of sleeping in early on Fridays or Saturdays before a match. Rather annoying weekend around the house too, washing machine is busted and we've giant icicles of doom hanging over our front steps, they melt and drop water on steps which then make them dangerous.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

been doing light therapy the last week. lots of early rising and early beds :(

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Sorry to ask but what do you mean by light therapy and how is that related to your sleeping times?

John Milton 

Sorry to ask but what do you mean by light therapy and how is that related to your sleeping times?

Could be an anti-depressant exercise?

How is South Africa and Johannesburg these days? I've got colleagues past and present from Pretoria and Cape Town, but none from Johannesburg. Not that SA is an obvious tourist destination if my colleagues are anything to go by. I think they left so fast you can still see the motion blur in the air, too much violent crime at the time for their liking (which may or may not have changed the last decade) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Slept in, missed the FA Cup match but largely I don't think I missed much. Passion for backing my team is waning, well that and I'm losing my discipline of sleeping in early on Fridays or Saturdays before a match. Rather annoying weekend around the house too, washing machine is busted and we've giant icicles of doom hanging over our front steps, they melt and drop water on steps which then make them dangerous.

Try being an Arsenal fan. And still wearing your Van Persie shirt...

Try being an Arsenal fan. And still wearing your Van Persie shirt...

I am. So many days waking up at 8 am to watch these matches is stressing.

Also, never ever get a player's name on the shirt for that reason. Well ok I got Rosicky as his skill with the ball is amazing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Was sick with the flu yesterday, and the little one got it about 6 pm, so not only was I sick, but he was throwing up in bed with us till 2 in the morning, then got up at 7 ready to go. The wife by that time was sick so I had to get up with him and our 4 year old as well.

On the bright side I went to Allposters.ca to buy this framed: http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Map-of-the-World-Nova-Totius-Terrarum-Orbis-Posters_i5129655_.htm

Was 69.99 + shipping -22% off coupon for a total of 95 bucks. Then I found a free shipping coupon for allposters.com. Went there, and the poster not only was 20 bucks cheaper framed, but with the free shipping coupon, I saved another like 30 bucks. So my total was 50. I'll have to pay taxes and customs when it arrives, unless they ship from their canadian warehouse, but thats only an extra 10 bucks. Still saved 40 bucks.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Could be an anti-depressant exercise?

How is South Africa and Johannesburg these days? I've got colleagues past and present from Pretoria and Cape Town, but none from Johannesburg. Not that SA is an obvious tourist destination if my colleagues are anything to go by. I think they left so fast you can still see the motion blur in the air, too much violent crime at the time for their liking (which may or may not have changed the last decade) :)

Personally I think JHB is the greatest city in Africa, okay I'm a little biased :) . I am including Pretoria as part of JHB in my answer below as its only 40 minutes from JHB and we often go there.

JHB is the economic and business hub of South Africa, so there are important historical places to visit from a tourist perspective. Like the Apartheid Museum and tours of Soweto where Nelson Mandela lived. We also have the most musics events and general fun things to do on the weekends. For example we have food and lifestyle shows every weekend so you are spoilt for choice. JHB also has game parks within 20 minutes of it. Its very convenient when people visit as I can take them to the Lion and Rhino park for the day without having to spend the night which adds complication if you have limited time. Of course JHB doesn't have the beaches or Wine Farms of places like Cape Town. So in fairness I do think that any tourist needs to spend the majority of there time in a place like Cape Town as I consider it the ultimate tourist destination.

And the level of crime is a concern but its manageable, you do have a high level of crime compared to places like Oz but you just follow the normal rules in other large cities and you will be fine. Almost all people who live in South Africa believe in the future of the country. The people that don't have generally immigrated. We do have our political challengers where people talk about nationalizing the mines and other businesses but our Constitution prevents this so its just rhetoric. So end of the day I think its fantastic living here, we are a hybrid country of first and third world where every day is exciting and offers something different. You should come visit :)

John Milton 

I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, also known as winter depression.

Light therapy involves an easy to follow,but strict regimen of

Staring into a bright light (10.000 lux) every day in the morning at the same time (9.am for me) for 30 minutes. This is supposed to simulate sunlight, and helps wake you up

Also required is that you have breakfast prior to sitting in front of the lamp.

You must have three meals a day. at regular times.

and you must go to bed on time.

lastly you must turn off all bright light sources an hour before sleeping.

All of these things are intended to reset your biorhythms.

I suffer from ADHD, which means I'm also less sensitive in changes in light(long story, got to do with melatonin production cycles in the brain), which in turn means I adapt my rhythm too slow, which makes me more vulnerable to SAD.

Usually you do this end-September beginning of October. Which I did. but anyone thnking I'm keeping my rhythm during the Holidays must think I have no social life. So, after the holidays are over, I usually do it again.

To me the difference is between having suicidal thoughts and being happy, which is quite significant.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I've had pretty bad cases of winter depression in the past, but funnily, I'm probably having my best year in that regard. Practically everything is going down the crapper, yet I can be almost totally Zen about it.

Had the first talk with my boss in almost a month now. She still thinks I'm the scum of the earth, yet seems totally surprised I no longer want to keep working here.

I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, also known as winter depression.

Light therapy involves an easy to follow,but strict regimen of

Staring into a bright light (10.000 lux) every day in the morning at the same time (9.am for me) for 30 minutes. This is supposed to simulate sunlight, and helps wake you up

Also required is that you have breakfast prior to sitting in front of the lamp.

You must have three meals a day. at regular times.

and you must go to bed on time.

lastly you must turn off all bright light sources an hour before sleeping.

All of these things are intended to reset your biorhythms.

I suffer from ADHD, which means I'm also less sensitive in changes in light(long story, got to do with melatonin production cycles in the brain), which in turn means I adapt my rhythm too slow, which makes me more vulnerable to SAD.

Usually you do this end-September beginning of October. Which I did. but anyone thnking I'm keeping my rhythm during the Holidays must think I have no social life. So, after the holidays are over, I usually do it again.

To me the difference is between having suicidal thoughts and being happy, which is quite significant.

Wow, thats really fascinating, I can imagine you need to stick to your routine so for an outsider it may seem extreme but the positive effects really are worth it as you explained. I had never heard of it before. Thanks for the post :)

John Milton