What you did today

Gorth

There are some pretty hilarious road signs around the world. Saw somebody collect some of the best on a webpage once. Sadly, I don't have the link anymore (it was a decade ago, but I guess a quick search on Google images would more than make up for it). One of the more amusing I remember actually seeing was from Wellington, NZ, which warned against penguins on the road.

i must find this

any idea where in wellington?

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

If I remember correctly, on the coastal road from the CBD to the airport. Sorry, I don't remember the exact location. I took a picture of it once, but I don't remember if I posted it here or on Winterwind (was many years ago, as I was still living in NZ at the time). There was, or used to be a penguin colony somewhere close by.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If I remember correctly, on the coastal road from the CBD to the airport. Sorry, I don't remember the exact location. I took a picture of it once, but I don't remember if I posted it here or on Winterwind (was many years ago, as I was still living in NZ at the time). There was, or used to be a penguin colony somewhere close by.

Isn't it when you go off Oriental Bay and take the coastal road, not the tunnel, into Kilbirnie? (I remember the name of that bay.)

Paying bills and thinking about taxes. We made more money in 2012 than is our typical, so the taxman will be a bit harsher.

Wondering how cheaply I could build a 3rd PC for ... not a "fancy" main rig but still enough to play games on. Seems like the biggest expense would be the video card, because I'm picky. Even the evga gtx275 (the old card of mine that hubby's using) still seems to be $200 these days. :getlost: ... probably not worth doing right now.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Heh, I now have the grand title of Managing Director since the old one got headhunted. Of course, there's absolutely no income to the company, and I don't have a wage from it, and there's no-one else who handles any of the work full time, and everyone else is (like me) paid on project work basis. So I get to do the administration of it, pay off the accountants from the company account when they send me the tax notice and that's that.

Still, I guess it looks good on my CV now.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Isn't it when you go off Oriental Bay and take the coastal road, not the tunnel, into Kilbirnie? (I remember the name of that bay.)

I think so. Definitely no tunnels involved, it wasn't cave-penguins :p

It was 7-8 years ago and memory gets a bit fuzzy, but looking at a map, must have been somewhere between Oriental Bay and Evans Bay.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well woke up from a few odd dreams, trying to uncrick my back from whatever awkward way I was apparently sleeping...

Switched on the pc to check email and the first world news that pops up is the Argentine President once again demanding we hand over the Falklands to her. Everytime she needs a popularity boost in her country she turns around and does this. >_<

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I've been having trouble sleeping for the past week, and I've woken up face down on the "female guest" side of the bed on several mornings, which is basically unheard of. Also learning the difference between "friends" which translates to "you're in my top5, but below my current guy who I will studiously avoid mentioning in any discussions we have" and "just friends" which means that they want to whine to you about the other guy. :p

I'm in the first group with the two most amazing women I know, so I can actually consider myself blessed. Could be a lot worse.* Now, next girl.

*(could be a lot better, too, and if there's any slip towards "just friends", I'll have to exit fast). :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Time of the year for me to start paying more attention to the Red Sox news again. Not looking great, but it's gotta be better than last year. Youkilis going to the Yankees was kinda a downer but oh well, that's the business.

The reverse lights on my car decided to stop working. Can't have that...off to fix.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Guest The Architect

What I thought I'd do today is share a more recent picture here of my beautiful dog than the one I posted in some other thread a few weeks back.

Edited by The Architect

Guest The Architect

Whoops, thought I was editing my post, not making a new one. My bad.

post-15473-0-99639800-1357281155_thumb.jpg

post-15473-0-92430200-1357281276_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Architect

It's almost a pirate dog! :)

------------

...we sometimes get a little bit of frost on car windows here, but I didn't know 2 inches of dishsoap could freeze...while still in the garage. Weird.

Just remembered it's Friday. Not Tuesday. :o

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Discovered rage works better than caffeine for waking me up.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I totally leveraged that this morning.

I think I've about exhausted the pool of eligible women I know, so I now have to start looking. What a bore.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I totally leveraged that this morning.

I think I've about exhausted the pool of eligible women I know, so I now have to start looking. What a bore.

Or you could try a different approach; have you considered donning a monocle, top hat and fake mustache and walking up to them in disguise?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Nah, just arguing with my dad on the ride into work about a teacher's labour issue this morning. Or most mornings, rather fun to argue :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Nah, just arguing with my dad on the ride into work about a teacher's labour issue this morning. Or most mornings, rather fun to argue :)

Abject terror is more effective if you want to be up and alert as quickly as possible.

Farewell my friends! Tomorrow I set out on a great quest. Like mighty Prometheus who stole fire from Olympus to light the way for man, I go to bring the light of free WiFi to the shoppers of select Simon malls in the American Midwest. No longer will teenage girls have to use their valuble cell phone minutes to update their Facebook pages with that "perfect" outfit they just bought. No longer will big box stores have to use expensive UMTS cards in their barcode scanners for inventory control. No longer will the ATM machine in the food courts take ten seconds to give customers their cash. Soon we'll have that down to eight.

Anyway, I'm on the road for a while tomorrow so I won't be able to supervise you guys. So please stay out of trouble. See you all in March.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's a dangerous thing you are doing, Guard Dog. The world is not ready for such innovation.

(See you soon, be safe)

See you in March again GD. Safe travels :)

so just got home from a day out for my mother's birthday

now she's been a crazy good parent. single mother with 4 kids and she worked her *** off for us. i remember barely seeing her for quite some time, as she was working multiple jobs (over a 5 year period she had a TOTAL of 3 days off)

she's always wanted to go to Scotland to visit the old family castle and whatnot, but has never had the money or opportunity to do so, so a few years back my siblings and i concocted a plot

we started putting aside money into a secret account, and over time we've gotten around $15,000

the plan was to do it for her 60th, but as she is... less than proficient with any sort of technology, we were at a loss as to who should go with her to effectively babysit her through the airport etc, but an opportunity arose

my father has never been part of our lives really, and there is great animosity between him and his previous wife/family too

however, we get along great with our half-siblings, and recently reconnected with one of our half-brothers. when he found out about our wee plot he mentioned that his mother (my dad's other ex wife) had been planning a trip to Scotland but had been at a loss as to who to go with

a perfect situation. the two mad old hatters can travel together!

so today we broke the news to her.

she had no idea what we'd been up to, and when she read the little scroll explaining everything she just broke down and starting crying her eyes out

• Like 3

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!