What you did today

Gorth

Was away from Friday through Sunday on a weekend work thing. Came back home to find no-one had actually thought to clean out the kitty litter while I was gone.

Also, it seems my sore throat is now developing into more of a full blown flu-style thing. Joys for the start of the week.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I tend to avoid the organic stuff most of the time. I'm not really against it, but usually when you have a salmonella outbreak, it is the organic stuff. Plus I live next to a field so I'm pretty sure I'm already well exposed to all those pesticides anyways.

I tend to avoid the organic stuff most of the time. I'm not really against it, but usually when you have a salmonella outbreak, it is the organic stuff. Plus I live next to a field so I'm pretty sure I'm already well exposed to all those pesticides anyways.

Unfortunately, that's true. Organic product chains lack the ultra-controlled nature of non-organic (often vertically integrated) ones and tend to be a lot more vulnerable to bugs entering the stuff on the way to you.

Also, feeling depressed. I wish I could have that paranoid fear of being left alone so many friends of mine use as an excuse of shacking up with the first girl they meet, instead of the current situation, where I meet someone I connect with on an intellectual level ever 2-4 years and it goes catastrophically wrong every time. :p

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Trying to figure out how and where to start my novel. This attempt has been my most fulfilling one, except for the complete lack of a place to actually start the story.

There are a dozen ways to do it. You can have fun with it.

For example, write a sequence with lots of stuff happening in it. Don't explain WTF is happening, just write the scene. Then chop that scene in half. Start at the second half. It might be an argument, a sword fight, a car crash... anything.

Start your novel there and frame the narrative from that point onwards. Let the rest back-fill naturally. This will work better with some genres than others.

The other one I use all the time is to write three chapters then switch them around, a variation on a theme. My latest submission does this (I swapped chapter two for three and got rid of a whole lot of exposition).

If you send me a chapter I will happily read it as a completely impartial observer.

Thanks for the offer. By the time I get around to it, I'll probably forget. I'm still completely new to actually writing prose.

I did figure out how to do my first chapter too. It's kind of silly because it's the actual beginning of the story I had planned. But my original plan was to use it as a flashback, so I never considered it. The new structure abandons flashbacks altogether and that's probably for the best.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Enjoying all this rain, sadly not dark enough and insufficient neon lighting - else I could enjoy some Vangelis now.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Enjoying all this rain, sadly not dark enough and insufficient neon lighting - else I could enjoy some Vangelis now.

That's actually a great idea. *pops blade runner*

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Made Turkey breast, carrots, and potatoes for dinner tonight. Good stuff. I rather like turkey and I make it every now and then, although I tend to prefer to make whole turkey and I brine them first. It takes up a lot of space in the freezer and fridge, so I don't do it often, but if you've never had my brined turkey dinner, you're really missing something. Anyhow, been feeling rough lately, so no stuffing or brown gravy. :Cant's sad icon: ...But it was still good. Anyway, now I'm plugging away on my trusty New Vegas run. My dad's memorial service is scheduled for the Fifth of next month. He's dead, though, and I don't care to see the rest of the wretched bastards, from my mom down to my nephews. I'll have to honor him in my own way because I refuse to see any of those mother-****ers ever again.

EDIT: ...And I have a young Claret down and switching now calling a young cab.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I made a good dinner tonight. I put brussel sprouts in the oven for 30 minutes after dripping some olive oil, salt, and pepper over them. Then I boiled some carrots, the trick is to throw a little sugar and tarragon in with them, gives them a little sweetness. Don't overcook them either. Lastly I made bowtie pasta with a creamy pesto sauce (using nonfat milk.) The pasta was this new vegetable fusion type, basically they use carrots and squash when they are making them.

http://www.barilla.com/aggregator/prodotto_barilla/1306

It was delicious. Anyways, I'm starting to get a bit more creative on this super low fat diet, and it's going well.

Not today, but last night ... I was doing housework and my left wrist joint (the "outer" side) popped. Had to massage it back into place. Kinda like what happened with my thumb/index/middle fingers on both hands a few years ago. I can't do even mild stuff with the hand - like pulling sheets making a bed, picking stuff up - without it constantly popping again, but when it's still, it's fine (not swollen/painful when not in stress-motion). Fun. :lol: If it's anything like the fingers, it'll be pretty bad for a few/several months of not stressing it, then heal up to a point where it's generally fine, only slightly stiffer with a bit of nerve numbness.

At least I can still type. :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Made Turkey breast, carrots, and potatoes for dinner tonight. Good stuff. I rather like turkey and I make it every now and then, although I tend to prefer to make whole turkey and I brine them first. It takes up a lot of space in the freezer and fridge, so I don't do it often, but if you've never had my brined turkey dinner, you're really missing something. Anyhow, been feeling rough lately, so no stuffing or brown gravy. :Cant's sad icon: ...But it was still good. Anyway, now I'm plugging away on my trusty New Vegas run. My dad's memorial service is scheduled for the Fifth of next month. He's dead, though, and I don't care to see the rest of the wretched bastards, from my mom down to my nephews. I'll have to honor him in my own way because I refuse to see any of those mother-****ers ever again.

EDIT: ...And I have a young Claret down and switching now calling a young cab.

Not to get too far into your personal life but since you shared....the memorial is not about you or your family members but to honor your fathers life. Perhaps it would be worth your while to bury the hatchet for an afternoon and go pay respects?

• Like 1

Working my way through a lovely bout of man-flu. Congestion headaches and all. When you can't read a complete page without being interupted by hacking coughs or a need to attempt to blow your nose.. You don't really get much done.

Funnily enough was making fun of diving footballers when I rolled my foot over a shoe on the floor - why my family has sandals tossed everywhere, I dunno, I just work here. Looks like I've damaged tissue or something in my foot, so limping around today.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not to get too far into your personal life but since you shared...Perhaps it would be worth your while to bury the hatchet for an afternoon and go pay respects?
That's fair enough, Gfted. I'm not going to the ceremony, but I did write something for the service that's going to be part of the eulogy. It's going through back channels. At any rate, I appreciate your honest and direct criticism.

As far as today goes, I've been running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I need to regroup and get myself back on the straight and narrow. I do love this time of year, though. Mornings are supposed to be cool and even now, at 10:30, it's still only about 60 degrees outside.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Cat, meet wall heater. (they sit by it even when not "on" because the pilot light still gives off some heat...)

...I got in the car today to do a CostCo run and was pleased that one, I'm right-handed, and two, the US has the stick shift on the right hand side. Else I probably wouldn't be driving anywhere. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That's fair enough, Gfted. I'm not going to the ceremony, but I did write something for the service that's going to be part of the eulogy. It's going through back channels. At any rate, I appreciate your honest and direct criticism.

Whoops, didnt mean for it to sound like a criticism but thats good that you wrote something.

Getting bloody frustrated with my roomates "cold shoulder" routine where she doesn't even acknowledge me.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Getting bloody frustrated with my roomates "cold shoulder" routine where she doesn't even acknowledge me.

You should raise this with her, it may sound petty but these types of things can simmer and lead to major resentment building up.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

In real life, I tend to be a bit of a confronter about stuff. I mean, I try to be respectful, and I certainly try to be good about listening to what the other person has to say, but I find it's easier just to get it all out in the open and address these situations. This is something much more difficult to do on a message board.

Been plugging away at my New Vegas run. I've just added Raul to my party. Poor ol' ghoulish wretch. I'm trying to remember what I need to do to get his side quest so I can do it. After that, I'll add Arcade and keep him till I've done his side quest and, having done all the companions' side quests, I'll go back to Boone until the end. I mean, he gets special points for sheer Legion hatred and I can make him my liason with the NCR after I've set up an independent New Vegas.

Obsidian Plays

In real life, I tend to be a bit of a confronter about stuff. I mean, I try to be respectful, and I certainly try to be good about listening to what the other person has to say, but I find it's easier just to get it all out in the open and address these situations. This is something much more difficult to do on a message board.

Same as me. I prefer to know exactly what the issue is. I am a logical person and a typical Leo so what you see is what you get. I am not very good at handling these relationship mind games. They stress me out. I find that women are particular bad at pulling the whole "well he is annoying me so I'll just ignore him routine". But this only applies when you are friends( and happen to be attracted to them) with them, once in a relationship they are more than happy to discuss any issue.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

And that's why big trees too near houses + windstorms always make me very nervous. Our last house had this very tall eucalyptus tree in the front - that occasionally liked to drop large branches on the lawn, once narrowly missing the driveway - and I constantly fretted about it. Current house, whole street is lined with maple trees. It's pretty but...well, at least they're not as tall. ;)

Today I'm again wishing I had a rainproof DSLR/lens setup. Oh sure I can put baggies over it all, but that's always a bit awkward. Or maybe an umbrella attachment to the camera, one wide enough to cover both the camera and photographer. Sure you'd look like a geeky goober, but it's for art, right?

Edit: also, beef roast for dinner. Makes the house smell nice.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Guy just called me and told me he found my wallet. Even said exactly how much cash was in there. My faith in the human race has gone up a few notches.

Now he turns out to be a stalker who pick pocketed you... :shifty: