What you did today

Gorth

But a community is only as good as the members and I think the members here are top knotch,

Well of course you would say that considering everyone is an Eldar alt. >_>

We're all Hades Alt you FOOL!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Worse bureaucracy at current workplace than have ever had to deal with when in government employ. Also getting all the bull**** gigs coupled with a multiple boss situation (get "need this tomorrow!" stuff from all directions simultaneously). Motivation low, and additionally dieting so close to flying off the hook at any moment.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Had some bizzaro dreams and have woken to face the delights of Monday.... Let us see where it goes.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Happy Veterans Day, everyone! We're going to head out soon for a veterans day lunch.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Recovered a bottle of some Jack Daniels variant that the dog took from my sister's room. I think her dog potentially has a drinking problem....

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Recovered a bottle of some Jack Daniels variant that the dog took from my sister's room. I think her dog potentially has a drinking problem....

That would explain a lot.

So, went to lunch with some coworkers I don't see too much on a friday. Immediately one guy launched into a tirade about how much he would like to **** one of our female colleagues (the one I've also referred to here). I don't creep easily, but I did this time. He kept coming back to it several times after we tried to steer the discussion into a somewhat healthier topic. I spent most of the weekend feeling really bothered about it, as we have the office christmas party coming up and I was getting a borderline "roofies" vibe from him. So, in the end, I decided to break "bros before hos" and tell the girl about it. Apparently they've never even talked, just the two of them. I feel like I did the right thing, but I'm obviously second guessing myself due to my own (even if they're a lot more platonic) feelings towards said lady (who, in addition to being a major hottie also happens to be one of the most wonderful people I've ever met, of any sex or persuasion). Hmpf.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Me: I need a car battery again.

Hubs: Could call AAA and they'll come out and bring you one.

Me: And how much is that?

Hubs: $99

Me: And how much if we walk into a store to buy one?

Hubs: Maybe $50-70.

Me: So why should I call AAA again?

Hubs: .....

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Time & gas, obviously :p Although I doubt you're spending $50 on gas to the store unless you drive a Canyonero

Office Christmas party location got picked, so am planning logistics of getting there and home needlessly a month in advance. Also should meet my University buddy again soon, but am loathing hearing him complain about being single or all the Chinese girls he finds are snobby princesses. Trying to convince him that he should just be happy being single, but that's a losing game, heh

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Time & gas, obviously :p Although I doubt you're spending $50 on gas to the store unless you drive a Canyonero

She said "walk" to a store. Car batteries are heavy.

(Also, installation requires some low-level familiarity with auto mechanics. Nothing that one couldn't learn pretty easily from youtube, but plenty of people would prefer to part with a little extra cash to have a professional do it.)

• Like 1

She said "walk" to a store. Car batteries are heavy.

(Also, installation requires some low-level familiarity with auto mechanics. Nothing that one couldn't learn pretty easily from youtube, but plenty of people would prefer to part with a little extra cash to have a professional do it.)

Actually, I said "walk into" a store. ;)

There are probably 3 or 4 local automotive retail stores less than 3 miles from our house. He's also plenty familiar with basic auto mechanic stuff if it doesn't involve the new-fangled computer mumbo jumbo. eg, he once rebuilt the whole engine to a Mercury Capri.....he's just getting lazy in his "old" age and is starting to have this sort of attitude about a lot of things, and it's occasionally irritating since I see it as wasting money. Couples, y'know. :p Actually, all he needs to do is drive me to go buy it. I know how to install it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think it depends on the car make and how old it is. I'm pretty uncomfortable changing the battery on my newer cars, especially when I had a Honda Accord awhile back. My Jeep Grand Cherokee is pretty easy to get too, but my wife's Ford Flex doesn't look easy.

My RV has the easiest ones to get too, thankfully.

But hey, $50 extra to have a professional do it right and save you time might be worth it. It really depends on comfort level.

Edited by Hurlshot

Last time we needed one, we took the lazy way out. In my defense, it's our only car, the nearest auto parts store is at least a few miles away, and it was the middle of winter. The hassle of either imposing on a neighbor for a lift to the store or figuring out how to get there by bus (and then doing so) greatly outweighed the additional cost, in my mind. (And, well, being affluent enough that the added cost isn't going to 'hurt' in any meaningful way also helps.)

I could walk to the store, but they are a bit heavy for me to just lug one back and forth for two miles (some hand/wrist/knee arthritis, blah blah). Maybe I'll buy myself a little red wagon with a long pull handle for next time this occurs. :lol:

The main issue is I just don't drive enough the past several years to keep a battery charged up/"healthy", I guess...so they wear out faster and stop holding a charge for more than a day or two, within 12-14 months. Or, er, something. I don't know. It's become rather annoying, tho.

I could walk to the store, but they are a bit heavy for me to just lug one back and forth for two miles (some hand/wrist/knee arthritis, blah blah). Maybe I'll buy myself a little red wagon with a long pull handle for next time this occurs. :lol:

The main issue is I just don't drive enough the past several years to keep a battery charged up/"healthy", I guess...so they wear out faster and stop holding a charge for more than a day or two, within 12-14 months. Or, er, something. I don't know. It's become rather annoying, tho.

That's pretty odd. How are you recharging the battery? That can happen with my RV if I go too long without running it, but usually I recharge it and drive for a bit, and it runs fine again.

That's pretty odd. How are you recharging the battery? That can happen with my RV if I go too long without running it, but usually I recharge it and drive for a bit, and it runs fine again.

Jump start, drive it around on the freeway for half an hour or more. Which is mostly fine during summer but then the colder temps of winter start to equal I'd have to do that every day. When we lived closer to where you are, Hurl, I still didn't drive every day, but I had to come up the Penisula semi-frequently and generally drive significantly more miles per outing. Now it's rare that I drive more than 5-8 miles a week for stuff. :lol:

I'm also still of the (unsubstantiated) opinion that the car's alarm system puts not inconsequential drain on the battery (even when not "on"). Or maybe it's developed a minor electrical problem that's causing it to drain more than it used to. One day I need to get someone to disconnect it to see. That's something I don't know how to do on this car.

Got a call from the office at 23:15 that a Press Release needs to urgently be translated if I wouldn't mind... So now its 1AM. Guess I did today what I did yesterday: translate the failure of the 2013 EU Budget conciliation committee...

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Car alarm's are teh bad. Really I don't trust and third party electronics in a car, the electrical system probably wasn't designed with it in mind.

It came as a package feature when I bought the car. Don't know what Subaru was doing at the time regarding who made/put them in for them. :) The only bonus of having it is the insurance company gives a discount! haha. But yeah...I could do without it. Not like I need/want to run out at 3am every time a cat jumps on the hood. :getlost:

Tough break, mel. Anyhow, I generally like to do everything on my own car within reason. That's not because we can't pay for it, although we're not affluent enough that we want to spend the money, but because I tend to trust my own lyin' eyes more than the mechanics. Don't get me wrong. You can certainly find good mechanics who are fair and don't cheat the hell out of you, but you have to be careful. I have to tell you, Hurlie, some of the older cars had a hard time of it, including one model I can't remember off-hand where driving with the lights on was a net drain on the battery and so you inevitably discharged the battery if you did all your driving at night. Ahhh, the good ol' days. lol

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Haha, got the battery, put it in. The parking lights kept flashing, cycling...it's an alarm thing. Tried to reset it using the alarm remote. No go. Had to look it up again but apparently I need to use the auto lock/unlock remote to let it know I have control of the keys. Said key remote just had the battery die this week, so I have to go get one to reset the stupid alarm and stop those blinking lights. Seems like a pretty silly system. What if you've lost those key remotes?

Oh, there's supposed to be a reset/LED switch thing somewhere in the lower dash too, but I swear it's not there. Can't find it. Manuals say "may be moved during installation and not in the place indicated." :facepalm:

• Like 1

Haha, got the battery, put it in. The parking lights kept flashing, cycling...it's an alarm thing. Tried to reset it using the alarm remote. No go. Had to look it up again but apparently I need to use the auto lock/unlock remote to let it know I have control of the keys. Said key remote just had the battery die this week, so I have to go get one to reset the stupid alarm and stop those blinking lights. Seems like a pretty silly system. What if you've lost those key remotes?

Oh, there's supposed to be a reset/LED switch thing somewhere in the lower dash too, but I swear it's not there. Can't find it. Manuals say "may be moved during installation and not in the place indicated." :facepalm:

No worries I am a gentleman. Send me your address and I'll come over and assist. I am a wizard at cars, I am really proficient at Grand Tarismo, so we should be fine?

:)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Will be travelling across Canada from 17c weather and by the time I arrive home it'll be -10c!

I think you're traveling in the wrong direction...

Possible - though as the storm has cleared the Great Lakes, from the southern view, surely are beautiful! We were just in Wakefield, MI, and it truly was a moment of beauty that humbles the human eye!

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: