What you did today

Gorth

Having just changed my own car battery I can advise you to remove your old one before you go to the store and bring it with you. The auto parts store will give you back the "core charge" for the battery (~$12) and it saves you having to make another trip.

My local motorcycle dealer didn't offer me anything like that when I got a new battery recently. I was just happy that he offered to help me getting rid of it in a "responsible" way (instead of the landfill). Maybe I should have bargained.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My local motorcycle dealer didn't offer me anything like that when I got a new battery recently. I was just happy that he offered to help me getting rid of it in a "responsible" way (instead of the landfill). Maybe I should have bargained.

Hmm, maybe its only a US thing? By the power of Google I summon the definition as provided by an auto parts store website:

What is a Core Charge?

A “Core Charge” is similar to the deposit you might pay for a can or bottle of soda. In many states, to promote recycling, you are charged a deposit when you purchase a can of soda and you receive your deposit back when you return the empty can. Many automotive parts have a Core Charge, or Core Price, that works the same way as a soda can deposit.

Here’s how the Core Charge works:

• The part you are purchasing contains a component that is recyclable
  • The Core Charge deposit is charged at the time of purchase
  • When the recyclable component from your old part is returned to us, the charge is refunded to you

To receive your Core Charge refund, you can do either of the following:

• Bring the part to any Advance Auto Parts store along with your receipt or packing slip
  • Mail the part back to Advance Auto Parts following the directions including on your packing slip.

Lots of items offer a core charge return (batteries, alternators, starters, etc...).

Another night of drunken stupidity. Another early morning of bitter recrimination. Life. is. good!

• Like 2

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Caught a bit of tv catchup, poked at some work related things, fussed the dogs, and went out and picked up a few things for this weekend. Notably, camping mess gear, some energy drinks, general snacky chocolate/nut/raisin bars for the sugar rush, and a bottle of port to take along to enjoy around the campfire..

Also, in preparation for the whole B-movie premise and general rugged manliness of the event, I've forgone shaving this week so I have added protection from the weather around my face.. :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Be sure to pack some weapons as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Be sure to pack some weapons as well.

Thats what the knives are for! And the hatchet! If you can't make some satisfactory home made spear in the middle of wooded areas, you're doing something wrong.. :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I've been feeling like I'm coming down with something for most of the past three months. It's exceptionally bad today, energy levels bottoming. Should do some stuff on a job application, but am instead reading Esquire and White Dwarf on the ipad (and I seriously suspect I'm the only person in the world who reads both of those two).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Another night of drunken stupidity. Another early morning of bitter recrimination. Life. is. good!

Beware vodka soaked gummi-bears. They won't even touch your bloodstream until you've given up on them getting you drunk and have started hitting the beer.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I wonder if I'm missing on something as a non-drinker and someone that's never been drunk :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I wonder if I'm missing on something as a non-drinker and someone that's never been drunk :p

Yes, to be honest alcohol is wonderful. And the effect even better.

Drink Malcador, drink and be merry :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not really. I've only just started drinking and I've noticed it has two purposes.

Getting buzzed and being more social... but you do NOT go overboard

Getting completely stonking drunk to forget about something that's happened or just to escape from life for a night or two.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Do you have seasonal allergies?

Yeah, but this is Finland we're talking about here, nothing like that this time of year.

More like a side effect of my i tensely stressful year and poor fitness. And everybody's been sick at the office over the past month...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Not really. I've only just started drinking and I've noticed it has two purposes.

Getting buzzed and being more social... but you do NOT go overboard

Getting completely stonking drunk to forget about something that's happened or just to escape from life for a night or two.

Well, as you're new, and as you're consuming the stuff via dubious media such as vodka-soaked gummi bears, you can be forgiven for missing a few core points:

1) Many drinks taste really good, and offer an appreciable depth of flavor that one does not find in non-alcoholic beverages. (Although I'm sure there are afficianados of obscure coffees and teas out there who would disagree with me on that last point, I'd argue that the preservative qualities of alcohol allow for flavors to be added and developed via ageing processes that you don't see in the non-intoxicating stuff.)

2) Beyond the social lubrication effects, alcohol has a physiological effect that many find pleasant (in moderate doses) as an aide to relaxation.

3) Mixology is fun! You get to tinker with established formulae to find new and interesting flavor combinations!

4) It provides a lovely excuse for bad decisions that you were probably going to make anyway. (I'm thinking particularly about relationship-related decisions, here.)

That said, it is also a dangerous habit to start for those with a propensity for chemical dependency, it makes the operation of heavy machinery a Bad Idea, deleterious long-term health consequences, high caloric content, propensity to urinate in public places, low birth weights, etc., etc., etc.

• Like 1

Personal favourites: white russian, long island ice tea and lonkero(gin with grape lemonade).

And remember, you're never too old to start drinking.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Best thing I've seen all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQhuE3b_GBU

Of course, that means today was pretty sucky.

Enoch makes some good points. I was never a big fan of wine or champagne, but about a year back my wife and I went to this even where a private chef came out and served a 5 course meal. Each dish was served with a small glass of an accompanying wine, and it worked extremely well with the food.

Plus a good beer with a steak is pretty much heaven. It really can enhance the flavors.

And yeah, it helps you let loose every once in awhile. Obviously it is important to be careful with that angle, but I know you sometimes complain about the social event at work Malcador and a couple drinks makes them a lot more tolerable.

I've been feeling like I'm coming down with something for most of the past three months. It's exceptionally bad today, energy levels bottoming. Should do some stuff on a job application, but am instead reading Esquire and White Dwarf on the ipad (and I seriously suspect I'm the only person in the world who reads both of those two).

On the ipad, yes. Being a radical fundamentalist, I prefer the paper version of White Dwarf. Just imaging the Book of Grudges on Kindle???

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sadly, I talk about drinking too much because I drink too much and I don't want anyone to be fooled into thinking it's fun and games. Don't get me wrong. I get some good laughs and enjoy the feeling of being drunk, way too much, I assure you, so I'm not lookin' for sympathy. This isn't a deep dark moment for me. There's plenty of folks who would laugh if you told them I drink. It would be like telling them the sky is blue. I think everyone reading here is an adult, but I want to mention to any possible younger members that over-consumption of alcohol can be quite harmful. /safety PA

Tonight, I plan on cooking a chicken pot pie. Normally I clean the meat off of the carcas of a roasted chicken from a previous meal, but I put a chicken breast in the crock pot this morning. I'll put in peas and carrots soon and get the insides ready, throw together a butter crust, and bake it for a tasty dinner. It's gotten to the point where I like chicken pot pies so much I'm just cooking the chicken just for the purpose of making the pie instead of waiting till I roast one. However, I will be making a goose here soon in order to salvage the goose fat and I'll definitely take advantage of that to make a goose pot pie. mmm MMMM MMMMM

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Enoch makes some good points. I was never a big fan of wine or champagne, but about a year back my wife and I went to this even where a private chef came out and served a 5 course meal. Each dish was served with a small glass of an accompanying wine, and it worked extremely well with the food.

Plus a good beer with a steak is pretty much heaven. It really can enhance the flavors.

And yeah, it helps you let loose every once in awhile. Obviously it is important to be careful with that angle, but I know you sometimes complain about the social event at work Malcador and a couple drinks makes them a lot more tolerable.

Pft, I don't need to let loose. Drinking with my coworkers is a bad idea as well, they keep choosing super expensive places. Place they went to tonight was charging $7.50 for a can of Guiness..$8.75 for a pint of Heineken :lol: