Update #15: PayPal, Polish and Russian support, $2.5M/$2.6M stretch goals, new reddit Q&A, classes, and art!

Please add paladins.

Oh shush, there's already the priests AND monks as classes....the LAST thing we need yet is another righteous/religious sounding class.

Please be quiet. We have Fighters, Rangers and Monks, and Druids, Priests, Wizards and Cyphers. They've made it clear they don't mind turning specialized roles into distinct classes, even if it overlaps something else - Paladins (and bards) should be in.

Bards I wouldn't mind but a Paladin class would be excessive and redundant after already implementing Priests and Monks since they are all essentially the same kind of archetype....I mean all we're missing now are Templars and we'd have four names for what is essentially the same kind of character....praying, ranting, never shuts up about x god or virtues and above all extremely annoying.

1zq6793.jpg

And, for our Polish- and Russian-speaking fans - we are very happy to announce that distributors in Poland and Russia will be handling localization for these two languages, so we will be able to provide them without requiring a stretch goal!

Russian and Polish translation sounds good in principle, although it being handled by distributors, which in this case almost certainly means 1C/Cenega, sounds less so, as many Polish/Russian players will likely agree.

Ye... speaking off I'd rather want cdp.pl to take distribution upon them...

Please add paladins.

Oh shush, there's already the priests AND monks as classes....the LAST thing we need yet is another righteous/religious sounding class.

Yes, it is the last thing I need to have all my fav classes in. :p

Re: atheism. It's a different world. Since gods are a proven fact, the people have no concept of a world without gods, so it's not far-fetched for them to have a different definition of atheism: refusing to accept a deity above you controlling your life in any way. You could have a different world for it, true. But there is also no reason to not use atheism either.

Please add paladins.

Yes, it is the last thing I need to have all my fav classes in. :p

Re: atheism. It's a different world. Since gods are a proven fact, the people have no concept of a world without gods, so it's not far-fetched for them to have a different definition of atheism: refusing to accept a deity above you controlling your life in any way. You could have a different world for it, true. But there is also no reason to not use atheism either.

The issue of the game gods being proven is sort of immaterial unless they actually appear in the game and relate to the plot....and even then I certainly do not want three of their pests following me around....two is already more than enough.

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg

<snip>

Most conversions will always be crappy....for one who is going to pay the high salaries for good/known actors in ____ language? Nobody, that's who....it'll be prohibitively expensive for Obsidian especially on this budget. Then on top of that the basic structure and form differences between language make direct translations sound stupid but if you rephrase the text to sound right in another language then meaning often also changes if only slightly and may not make sense in the context of the plot even if it sounds good/correct so what then? how much time and money should be spent on a specific translation?

The way I see it there just aren't the resources for any perfect translations on a budget of under 3 mil that isn't going to hurt the game itself so just be glad you are getting anything at all as far as different languages go. If I were Obsidian I'd just drop the translations/localizations and divert funds strictly to the game. Then if it sells big and is successful maybe then they can worry about spending on localizations and bringing them up as patches.

It's more about whether it is tied to exclusive distribution/regional locks, tbh. Me, I don't intend on playing localised version (not at first anyway).

However, I do care if we (Poland/Russia/rest of Eastern Europe) get shafted with another deal like FO:NV/Skyrim. In this age of expansions/DLCs/incremental updates this really matters in the long run - so Eastern European backers don't find ourselves locked in a regional ghetto on Steam.

Edited by Karnelian

<snip>

Most conversions will always be crappy....for one who is going to pay the high salaries for good/known actors in ____ language? Nobody, that's who....it'll be prohibitively expensive for Obsidian especially on this budget. Then on top of that the basic structure and form differences between language make direct translations sound stupid but if you rephrase the text to sound right in another language then meaning often also changes if only slightly and may not make sense in the context of the plot even if it sounds good/correct so what then? how much time and money should be spent on a specific translation?

The way I see it there just aren't the resources for any perfect translations on a budget of under 3 mil that isn't going to hurt the game itself so just be glad you are getting anything at all as far as different languages go. If I were Obsidian I'd just drop the translations/localizations and divert funds strictly to the game. Then if it sells big and is successful maybe then they can worry about spending on localizations and bringing them up as patches.

It's more about whether it is tied to exclusive distribution/regional locks, tbh. Me, I don't intend on playing localised version (not at first anyway).

However, I do care if we (Poland/Russia/rest of Eastern Europe) get shafted with another deal like FO:NV/Skyrim. In this age of expansions/DLCs/incremental updates this really matters in the long run - so Eastern European backers don't find ourselves locked in a regional ghetto on Steam.

That I completely understand but it's something I usually blame on publishers, it's not something I think Obsidian themselves would shortchange you on.

1zq6793.jpg

So I repeat - please, could you answer - would backers from Russia (and Poland, though I don't know details of their situation, but doubt that their distributors behave themselves better then ours) would have an access to original version, or do you lock us to our regional?

tl;dr: I'm pledging 50$ right now, and I REALLY, REALLY want to have a clarification - would backers from all across the world would have an access to original version of the game? Or would you send us to our Russian Ghetto?

That's the beauty of having a DRM-free version though: it's just a setup file with a key. It has no idea whether you are running it in Russia, the US or Antarctica. Of course, if you want to use Steam, it gets trickier...

<snip>

That I completely understand but it's something I usually blame on publishers, it's not something I think Obsidian themselves would shortchange you on.

True - however they probably have more pressing issues than pandering to regional stuff ;). Particularly, if they have a regional distributor willing to take it out of their hands for an exclusive deal and not charge a dime upfront. Which is why I decided on a more proactive stance of voicing concern, just in case. I hope to be backing initiatives like this for many years to come (to my meager ability at least), so it made even more sense to me. :)

That's the beauty of having a DRM-free version though: it's just a setup file with a key. It has no idea whether you are running it in Russia, the US or Antarctica. Of course, if you want to use Steam, it gets trickier...

Which you might have to deal with if project Eternity is supported with additional, paid content over the years. Which I very, very much hope will be the case.

It'd only take expansion(s) not being available on GOG to make this backer one very, very sad panda.

It'd only take expansion(s) not being available on GOG to make this backer one very, very sad panda.

Why wouldn't they make expansions available on GOG but only on Steam? Is there any reason for imagining this kind of scenario?

Insanity?

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

Maybe it will be the first game that will be translated into almost any language other than Italian, and I've also spent $ 280, what a disappointment. :(

Dea Mortis, iuravi, Carissimam servaturum, Dea Mortis, servabo, ut tempora recte ducam

Steam: Ryuuzaaki | PSN: x_-Ryuzaki-_x | Live: Yorudoragon | Wii: 1179 5373 5105 2010 | BattleTag: Ryuzaki#2821

I am pretty sure there will be an Italian translation. It's just that making languages a stretch goal did not work (at all -- it made no statistically significant difference whatsoever) so they're working behind the scenes now. I suppose it can still be a higher stretch goal (i.e. $2.7-2.8M or so), but at this point it's just as likely that they'll present it as a fait accompli.

If you want to create a wizard who wears plate armor and hacks away with a broadsword from behind a heavily-enhanced arcane veil, we want to let you do that. If your idea of the perfect fighter is one who wears light armor and uses a variety of dazzling rapier attacks in rapid succession, we want to help you make that character. So it's good to think of Project Eternity's classes as being purpose-ready but not purpose-limited.

That's simply great, excellent design decision.

Adventure halls are a great addition as well. Best update yet, the pledges have really soared again.

Also, dare I say it - RAPIERS! Excellent.

rapier14.jpg

The only thing I didn't like were the monks, but that's personal preference.

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 1

Zombies and Cthulhu? :sigh:

Otherwise, an interesting update. I like the classes, they are familiar and also have some interesting twists. Wizard's tomes sound great, it seems like a compromise towards that 'Vancian' system everybody is talking about. I am more interested in the rogue class though.

Whether they pack a pair of daggers, a fine rapier, a slim bow, a stubby pistol, or a brutish club, rogues haul a carnival of pain with them wherever they go.

Bows and rapiers are great, but I also noticed that rogues can use clubs. Why? Does it mean that I will be able to wack people in the head and render them unconscious? Would be awesome.

Maybe it will be the first game that will be translated into almost any language other than Italian, and I've also spent $ 280, what a disappointment. :(

From your post, you sounds like you can understand English just fine. Given the choice, its always better to stick to the original language if you have no trouble understanding it as things do get lost in translation.

Of course it will always be nice if it supports Italian too.

From your post, you sounds like you can understand English just fine. Given the choice, its always better to stick to the original language if you have no trouble understanding it as things do get lost in translation.

I wouldn't worry about Italian translation. I could be wrong but I think they're trying to get the translation in one way or another. The reason they haven't announced it yet is closer to them not finding anyone who would do it (for cheap) than not wanting to do it at all. Not making any empty promises and all that...

I'm very happy to see all of these good news... But now I want to achieve the 2.6m goal... Custom party creation, like Icewind Dale. Omg, you can spend like 10 hours just doing new parties of characters.

And also Monk class :D

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

"What can change the nature of a man?"

Yes, but the real problem is that if the amount of text in Project Eternity is great, as in Planescape: Torment, for me it will be a little tedious to translate everything, because I understand English well, but not perfectly.

However, if the game was in English only there was no problem, but now that this will be translated into French, German, Spanish, Polish and Russian, you can understand my disappointment. :D

Dea Mortis, iuravi, Carissimam servaturum, Dea Mortis, servabo, ut tempora recte ducam

Steam: Ryuuzaaki | PSN: x_-Ryuzaki-_x | Live: Yorudoragon | Wii: 1179 5373 5105 2010 | BattleTag: Ryuzaki#2821

Awesome update!

While I personally prefer a non-magical take on thieves/rogues (but with a little alchemy thrown in for good measure), the shadow theme sounds interesting and fits nicely with the soul-oriented premise. Also, another vote for including a Paladin/Divine Champion class as a stretch goal.

It is nice to have localization of P:E so my mom could play it in Russian if she'd want. (But she know French so she would play it anyway since the is 2.2m stretch goal). All my friends who play cRPGs know English and can play without localizations though.

Ahem. I just wanted to say how cool it is that both you and your mom would be playing this. (Hi, mom!)

Nice update, I like almost everything there.

I'm not sure about the Adventure's hall. Does that mean we can replace our companions with generic NPCs of their class without any history, quest and personality? If so that doesn't really help the problem you tried to address. A better fix would be to simply add 1-3 new companions instead at that stretch goal.

It does give some tactical flexibility as well:

PC + 4 companions + hireling to fill gap

PC + all hirelings for some challenge (e.g. what can you do with a complete party of rogues?)

The comments about the Russian distribution are interesting. I hope Obsidian looks into some of those problems.

It wasn't only Russian, it's same situation for other Eastern European countries. I really hope Obsidian does not dismiss this issue and there is some clarification on who is doing translations and/or if we'll have content available through other channels than them.

My only assumption is if there's already some kind of agreement in place just by virtue of announcing in Kickstarter, judging by the wording: "And, for our Polish- and Russian-speaking fans - we are very happy to announce that distributors in Poland and Russia will be handling localization for these two languages, so we will be able to provide them without requiring a stretch goal!" ---so even if they'd like to change, they probably wouldn't be able to...

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Finally PayPal, now just to wait for payment next week and "Bye bye 35$".

I would just like to know if you make pledge here and choose to recive GOG key then you will aslo have access to Polish version of the game or you would have to buy new copy of the game.