Update #15: PayPal, Polish and Russian support, $2.5M/$2.6M stretch goals, new reddit Q&A, classes, and art!

At first I was DnD classes...yay...

Then I got to the varied builds part and I got happy.

Also, thanks a lot of the ciphers! <3

Now pump more money in the project my minions! We need that 2,5kk!

Interesting...

Especially the 2.6 $ goal. Now that is something worth aiming at.

Seems like rouges will be DPS machines again. I never liked that.

I also don't like monks either.. at all. They just seem wrong for a medieval fantasy.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I was hoping for something more original along the classes, but... if Cadegund's a priestess, it means there will be gun-wielding priests in the setting. Which means I can play Jules from Pulp Fiction in a fantasy world. Which is awesome.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Oh yeah great update! Also loving the artwork. Especially monk! Always have a soft spot for them.

Also good new goals, i may have to sell my kidney but anything dor the greater good! (<_< or i can rob some banks >_> )

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

The Rogue is sounding more and more appealing. even though that's all I ever seem to play lol.

Rogues are secretly the most OP class in most games...its just that people don't know how to play them right.

I must admit though, I may cheat on my favorite class this time if Ciphers get implemented.

also, I was joking about Cadegund's armor...I actually found it silly that people made such a huge fuss over NOTHING. I swear the outrage over a chest bulge often leads me to believe people have a problem with women looking like women.

Please, no Cenega/C1 in Poland. It's most unfriendly company for players. No support, or bad support, we still waiting for Skyrim DLC, we can't even buy it by Steam. Pirates of course can play with polish-english mix version, people who buy orginal games can't. We even don't know if they make it or not. No information, no discussion with players. We don't want Cenega, choose people with passion CP-PROJEKT, people who make Witcher game.

• Like 1

Hi there, I have a question for Obsidian staff. I'm a backer, and decided to register to clarify one important question, related to this update. This question, IMO, concerns all Russian (and maybe Polish) backers.

On the one hand - yay, Russian translation (though I prefer to play original versions, many of my friends prefer to play in our language)! On the other - Houston, we *may* have a problem. Our distributors like to lock us to Russian version only.

Case in the point - Fallout New Vegas. I've bought it on release and paid full US price. When Steam has opened their Russian version, SUDDENLY all the people who have bought F:NV found themselves having Russian version of this game. Which, of course, was incompatible with original DLC. So, while other countries could have already bought it, IIRC, in February, 2012, we were forced to wait until August.

And it could be much worse, because thankfully, Bethesda's Gamebryo architecture manages translations as mods, so we at least *could* play it in original language. And that, sadly, couldn't be said about many other games.

So I repeat - please, could you answer - would backers from Russia (and Poland, though I don't know details of their situation, but doubt that their distributors behave themselves better then ours) would have an access to original version, or do you lock us to our regional?

tl;dr: I'm pledging 50$ right now, and I REALLY, REALLY want to have a clarification - would backers from all across the world would have an access to original version of the game? Or would you send us to our Russian Ghetto?

Edited by Artesia

Great update!

Nice to recognize Cadegund, Edair and the dwarven girl on the art.

I found it funny how one of the creatures is pulling Cadegund by that 'curtain' dangling from her waist. Shows how impractical these things are on the armor. ;)

obsidian-shield.jpg

We are getting REALLY close to the 2.3 mil mark which is amazing. Next up the 2.4 and 2.5 mil marks are not simply amazing.....they are beyond insanely epic. Well....maybe not the Barbarian class(bleh, way too overdone) but the Cypher class more than makes up for it a thousand times over. So I am really holding my breath to see if PE can cross the 2.5 mil mark in the time that is left.....it would be a great loss if we don't make it. Crafting and Enchanting are definitely my thing as a Wizard/Cypher and the fact that the classes are made to be really flexible also makes me very happy.

Now as far as the 2.6 mil mark it seems great and I really want it as well but I also hope that if implemented it'll be available early on in the game so I can immediately get rid of any companion that may make himself/herself intolerable. Either way it seems like an interesting feature.

1zq6793.jpg

Now if only we could somehow let Italy in on this. Yeah... Italy loves trade opportunities.

OR DOES SHE?

Edited by septembervirgin

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

Well, given that the existence of deities is a fact in this setting, not just a matter of faith, I guess there could also be people who do acknowledge their existence, but they are against *worshipping* them, and consider all gods to be evil.

And that's fine, but those people would be neither atheists (lacking belief in the existence of gods) nor antitheists (believing in the nonexistence of gods), but misotheists (belief in gods that one hates) or dystheists/maltheists (belief in malevolent gods). Though in-world, I'd expect them to just be ‘godless’ or something to that effect.

Assuming it is true that the gods of PE are a matter of fact, that is. I'm not quite sure that's what Fearghus meant by ‘They won't just be hanging out in bars, but they are definitely a part of the world.’

Edited by Saerain
10RfE.gif

This game can't have atheists because gods and deities have already been proven and seen. The whole point of atheism is that there is no tangible evidence of the existence of god, but in this game where clerics and priests of God X and Y are rampantly doing and performing miracles, atheism is just plain stupid. It should be more of like "non-follower".

If a super being were to present himself before us as God, would he really be God? Or maybe he is just a really beyond imagination powerful martian that taps into religious stuff as a way to validate his claim over us while his apparent powers are just high technology?

If people want to believe in something, they will believe despite any evidence provided to them. If they don't want to believe in something, they won't believe despite any evidence provided to them. Is Elvis dead or not? Did we really land on the Moon? Is the story of Bubba-Ho-Tep based on real events?

The comments about the Russian distribution are interesting. I hope Obsidian looks into some of those problems.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

Nice update, I like almost everything there.

I'm not sure about the Adventure's hall. Does that mean we can replace our companions with generic NPCs of their class without any history, quest and personality? If so that doesn't really help the problem you tried to address. A better fix would be to simply add 1-3 new companions instead at that stretch goal.

Nice update, I like almost everything there.

I'm not sure about the Adventure's hall. Does that mean we can replace our companions with generic NPCs of their class without any history, quest and personality? If so that doesn't really help the problem you tried to address. A better fix would be to simply add 1-3 new companions instead at that stretch goal.

A lot of people like to create their own parties, even to the extent of coming up with their own backstories for the characters they create. This is just a nice alternative to the in-game companions. If you prefer the companions, nobody is forcing you to replace them.

The comments about the Russian distribution are interesting. I hope Obsidian looks into some of those problems.

It wasn't only Russian, it's same situation for other Eastern European countries. I really hope Obsidian does not dismiss this issue and there is some clarification on who is doing translations and/or if we'll have content available through other channels than them.

It wasn't only Russian, it's same situation for other Eastern European countries. I really hope Obsidian does not dismiss this issue and there is some clarification on who is doing translations and/or if we'll have content available through other channels than them.

Most conversions will always be crappy....for one who is going to pay the high salaries for good/known actors in ____ language? Nobody, that's who....it'll be prohibitively expensive for Obsidian especially on this budget. Then on top of that the basic structure and form differences between language make direct translations sound stupid but if you rephrase the text to sound right in another language then meaning often also changes if only slightly and may not make sense in the context of the plot even if it sounds good/correct so what then? how much time and money should be spent on a specific translation?

The way I see it there just aren't the resources for any perfect translations on a budget of under 3 mil that isn't going to hurt the game itself so just be glad you are getting anything at all as far as different languages go. If I were Obsidian I'd just drop the translations/localizations and divert funds strictly to the game. Then if it sells big and is successful maybe then they can worry about spending on localizations and bringing them up as patches.

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg

Guest Kellog

Please add paladins.

Oh shush, there's already the priests AND monks as classes....the LAST thing we need yet is another righteous/religious sounding class.

Please add paladins.

Oh shush, there's already the priests AND monks as classes....the LAST thing we need yet is another righteous/religious sounding class.

Please be quiet. We have Fighters, Rangers and Monks, and Druids, Priests, Wizards and Cyphers. They've made it clear they don't mind turning specialized roles into distinct classes, even if it overlaps something else - Paladins (and bards) should be in.