Achievements  

392 members have voted

1. 1. Your thoughts on achievements:

• A typical console-born annoyance. Not needed in old-school mature cRPG.
    • Sometimes can be interesting and motivate a player to do more than one play-through.
    • Ok. But only if there are no achievements of "kill 50 monsters" or "die 20 times" kind.
    • Non of the above.

I never understood achievements when I first saw them. They had no game-importance, it just seemed like a way to show off to your friends which is kind of sad. However occasionally some seem interesting in a way to get you to try stuff. Ie, an explorer achievement to try and find difficult to reach areas, or a way to gain some in-game reputation. Maybe it's a check list of really difficult to do things, or a list of "have you tried this" items, or maybe extra challenges.

Examples: in Thief some players have a self imposed "ghost" style where they must make sure to never be seen, or a style where they're not allowed to purchase any extra items, or that they must find every last coin of treasure; those could all be achievements. Let's say it was Baldur's Gate, and achievement could be to acquire all three pantaloons :-).

On a personal note I, too, like achievements. It's something that (if done right) is interesting and funny. Do I want a 'you have killed 1000 critters'? No. Do I want 'you have been spotted strutting your stuff naked'? Perhaps.