Chris Avellone: We'll most likely not be using Onyx engine

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/247804807514054656

Apparently the middle-ware is expensive (whatever that means).

Bit disappointing I think as the guys would obviously know the engine well and I'd like to see it in action more.

But yeah, wonder what engine they'll go for instead.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

That answers one question. Very interesting, haven't checked twitter today, so thanks for the report.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Whoah. That is surprising. And informative. I never even considered middleware costs attached to it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Interesting news. It looks like they will be facing similar choices to Fargo's team then and like W2 when they decide on an engine it will be Big News.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

https://twitter.com/...804807514054656

Apparently the middle-ware is expensive (whatever that means).

Bit disappointing I think as the guys would obviously know the engine well and I'd like to see it in action more.

But yeah, wonder what engine they'll go for instead.

Interesting. This might bode better for Linux (and Mac) solutions, because I imagine the middlewear used in Onyx is one of the things making a port harder.

The Infinity Engine is owned by Electronic Arts.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

Trent Oster is coming to save us.

Don't even joke.

EDIT: Just a question - they are deciding on an engine now? Isn't that a bit late?

Edited by evdk

Say no to popamole!

Would be fun if they could share what middle-ware is causing the problems.

Pathfinding? Rip it out and write your own. Chances are you're not going to fail more than the pathfinding guys did in Baldur's Gate anyhow..

Sound? Rip it out and implement OpenAL. Maybe not entirely free, but cost should be a non-issue.

Physics? Isn't PhysX free? I think it is.

Or is it tools you are using? Movie player (Bink? Agh)? What is it? Whatwhatwhat? I'm curious.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

In before Wasteland 2/Project Eternity unified engine?

That could actually be pretty cool.

I wonder if any code inXile has added would be useful to PE. It could work both ways down the road.

Indeed. Wouldn't mind them sharing code in certain parts. Could make both games better in the end.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."