Chris Avellone: We'll most likely not be using Onyx engine

[

Or maybe their old boss Brian Fargo has already decided for them...

Fargo bought a stake in Unity and now is aggressively marketing the engine to his former co-workers, using the stock piles of black mailed material acquired during their tenure at Black Isle as leverage. True businessman.

• Like 2

Say no to popamole!

I thought it would go without saying that the game would have its own look and that none of their previous technologies were particularly appealing for that... I think they could make an economical engine of their own parallely and integrate the content and models as they go along. I think it would also be within the budget (up to 500.000$). But I don't know. But there are enough possibilities out there and maybe they'll figure it out even if we don't.

Edited by MattH

I seriously thought that they were going to port the onyx engine to linux and mac...but now I think that they are probably going to use the unity engine just like Inxile. Maybe they will even work together with Inxile to port unity to Linux. ^^

Unigine is also a possibility though.

Edited by dlux

:closed:

Can't say I'm thrilled by the thought of unity since what we've seen so far from its use in W2 has been kind of underwhelming. On the other hand, if they make some kind of deal with inXile for the engine, we will most likely see modding tools as a stretch goal, which would be cool.

Can't say I'm thrilled by the thought of unity since what we've seen so far from its use in W2 has been kind of underwhelming. On the other hand, if they make some kind of deal with inXile for the engine, we will most likely see modding tools as a stretch goal, which would be cool.

What we've seen? We just saw an example of the camera movement and the video was a leak that wasn't intended for the internet as a whole. How can you possibly judge an engine based on just that?

GameMaker Pro is only $99.99 :no:

Seriously though, a bit curious myself - for Linux and Mac, presumably they need an OpenGL rendering backend anyway. I bet Unity3D would love to have a high(ish) profile game like this to add to their resume.

I suppose the final verdict depends on what other licensing issues they have to work around, and what existing codebase they can carry over from past or current projects.

I'd like to see them use Unigine, but I don't understand why they cannot simply make some tools for their own Onyx engine and keep using the Onyx engine for future titles. One of the reasons we had such excellent IE games is due to the fact that they could re-use the engine. They would only have to adapt the Onyx engine once for this style of game and then they could continue to use it for years.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I'll admit it's premature and not really fair to them, but nonetheless, it looked ****ty and it threw me off a bit. Onyx looked great in DS3 on the other hand, and I honestly thought they'd get to use their own tech this time around.

I have to wonder, are you basing this off of the games graphics? Because the video showed nothing regarding what the engine is capable of, just camera movement. Camera movement in an early alpha build of a game that isn't even trying to be super awesome graphically. If you thought that Wasteland 2 was going to give your eyes orgasims then perhaps you made a mistake in pledging to that game (assuming you did indeed pledge to it). This game by the way? Also likely isn't going to be absolutely stunning graphically.

It wasn't a leak, it was a planned engine demo that was showed at the UNITY 2012 conference.

I don't know who started the dumb rumor that it was a leak.

Doesn't change the fact that it wasn't intended for the internet in general, it was intended for people in the industry.

I'll admit it's premature and not really fair to them, but nonetheless, it looked ****ty and it threw me off a bit. Onyx looked great in DS3 on the other hand, and I honestly thought they'd get to use their own tech this time around.

I have to wonder, are you basing this off of the games graphics? Because the video showed nothing regarding what the engine is capable of, just camera movement. Camera movement in an early alpha build of a game that isn't even trying to be super awesome graphically. If you thought that Wasteland 2 was going to give your eyes orgasims then perhaps you made a mistake in pledging to that game (assuming you did indeed pledge to it). This game by the way? Also likely isn't going to be absolutely stunning graphically.

You misunderstand me, I want a game engine that can give us something that looks like the IE games. I don't care about graphics at all further than that they communicate the style that the game wants to establish. I know next to nothing about graphics engines but I was mostly thinking that the W2 demo looked nothing liked I would envision a spiritual successor to the IE games would look, which is natural since it's a PA game with other goals than this project, but I was doubting whether unity can do an IE-like graphics style as well.

What you saw in the Wasteland 2 video wasn't what Unity games all look like. What you're seeing is what inXile has done with the engine for themselves.

If this game were to use Unity you wouldn't have a game looking like what you saw in the Wasteland 2 video. You'd have exactly what Obsidian has told us. Fixed perspective isometric camera, 2d backgrounds with 3d models.

Two games can use the exact same engine and turn out looking and playing COMPLETELY differently.

• Like 1

All I can say is... :blink:

Never thought about the middleware cost (apparently that's not a one off expense). Maybe that

s part of what prevented Fargo from considering it.

It sucks big time that they are going to depend on external tech and support though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I seriously thought that they were going to port the onyx engine to linux and mac...but now I think that they are probably going to use the unity engine just like Inxile. Maybe they will even work together with Inxile to port unity to Linux. ^^

As somebody who has had to work with Unigine in a place I worked at briefly, I don't think it's a good choice. It doesn't have good enough documentation and userbase , hardly any support and it doesn't do anything that other, better engines can't do.

What is a middleware in terms of a video game engine anyway? Just curious. :biggrin:

Physics (like Havok), sound, even AI (like Euphoria), or speedtree, etc. There's this one video middleware that practically everyone uses. The guys behind it must be rich enough to run a small country by now.
  • Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

What is a middleware in terms of a video game engine anyway? Just curious. :biggrin:

Physics (like Havok), sound, even AI (like Euphoria), or speedtree, etc. There's this one video middleware that practically everyone uses. The guys behind it must be rich enough to run a small country by now.

Bink Video.

:closed:

Now what was the name of that dedicated isometric engine that this guy kept supporting a thread for in the general gaming section... Fife?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein