What you did today

Tale

Anyone know where Wals has got to?

He got headhunted some months back, and disappeared into "heavy workload" life over the last few months... Which is why he's been somewhat absent from the boards.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

[bad stuff does not happen around me, it happens after I leave. I am the bulwark against chaos and despair. Take your chances.

I like Deckard's quote better - "I'm a scourge, like famine or plague. Where I go the ancient curse follows." But knowing this, go on site to my client offices, bring them misery!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hiya everyone. I'm still alive, just busy with work these days. I'm back in town for the weekend, but heading back up tomorrow night. Work is great but I'm sharing an extended stay suite with one of my partners. I had never met him before this job. He's an ok guy and a talented engineer no doubt but he calls himself a walking wiki for Star Wars, and that is the only subject he ever wants to talk about. That's bad enough, but he finds comparisons to Star Wars situations in every day life. It's really irritating.

Hope your wife is doing better Hurlie and the rest of you are keeping it together.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Glad you're in one piece. Could be worse though, he could want to talk nothing but Star Trek :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

:lol: Six of one, half dozen of the other!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Good to see you back GD, if only for a spell. The political threads are sorely lacking your voice, Project Eternity brought in some new conservatives, but the magic just isn't there :biggrin:

Speaking of which, I hope you get a chance to pledge Project Eternity, it looks like it is right up your alley.

I read about that and donated right there and then. If they are successful with that they will have changed the game industry. Plus I expect it's going to be awesome! I started to read through the Obama thread, but I just don't have time. I've got two months worth of yard work and only a day and a half to do it!

Thomas Sowell

Off for a late fall picnic/walk while it's still sunny. With some treats for the ducks, geese and squirrels. Always gotta take the critter treats.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

GD! MY CONSERVATIVE SPARRING PARTNER! <3

Hey Calax how's life treating you?

Thomas Sowell

GD! MY CONSERVATIVE SPARRING PARTNER! <3

Hey Calax how's life treating you?

Ups and downs... mainly downs the past few months but I think I'm getting into manic ups with spending habits *frustration with self*.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I thought about you a few weeks ago Calax. We've been working with the city planner's Project Manager and his executive assistant pretty closely. Anyway the assistant is around 25, nice looking if not quite hot and she's addicted to WoW. Her and her friend date guys they meet on WoW apparently because at least they have that in common. As good a place to start as anywhere I guess. I know you were having a tough time in the romance department before, it seems you should get WoW.

Thomas Sowell

I thought about you a few weeks ago Calax. We've been working with the city planner's Project Manager and his executive assistant pretty closely. Anyway the assistant is around 25, nice looking if not quite hot and she's addicted to WoW. Her and her friend date guys they meet on WoW apparently because at least they have that in common. As good a place to start as anywhere I guess. I know you were having a tough time in the romance department before, it seems you should get WoW.

I'm a wee bit of an addict still. Although there is rarely anyone you meet from Iowa.

And my roommate is doing her whole "being loud with boyfriend" routine... probably while her pie is burning *sigh*

Edited by Calax
  • Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Geographics often becomes a problem there.

OTOH, we also seem to be a bit behind Americans in acceptance of geeky pursuits. Or maybe it's just an age thing, my bracket (~30) seems a lot more close-minded than the 20-25 set.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I hear you there Nep. I don't do MMO's and have never even looked at WoW. Heck I haven't even bought Skyrim yet. I've got DA 1 but never played it. I'm way behind on my geek stuff. Or I'm just getting too old.

Anyway, it was nice to sleep in my own bed for a change but it's time to go back to work. I'll see you guys in December. Don't do anything I wouldn't do!

Thomas Sowell

Watched Baumgartner's dive, impressive sights but I hope there's footage from his helmet camera.

I think that they are saving that footage for the BBC documentary, set for a release next month.

Anywhoo, never has a heightmeter been as exciting as watching his ascent. 2,5 hours of pure thrill :D

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yeah, the ascent was cool to watch as was the view just before he jumped. Apparently he passed out for a bit though, when he was spinning. Kudos to him to get Red Bull to foot the bill for his dream jump

I hear you there Nep. I don't do MMO's and have never even looked at WoW. Heck I haven't even bought Skyrim yet. I've got DA 1 but never played it. I'm way behind on my geek stuff. Or I'm just getting too old.

Anyway, it was nice to sleep in my own bed for a change but it's time to go back to work. I'll see you guys in December. Don't do anything I wouldn't do!

Went to a local texmex joint on Friday with a (male) friend. As usual, was the first to show up since my friend (who I've known since grammar school) is chronically late. Place was packed, so walked up to a cutie who was occupying a 6-seater alone, inquiring about the other seats. She immediately went into explaining how she was aaalll alooone and stuff. Of course, I literally haven't been on a night out in the last two years due to ramming my ll.d. at near-record speed. Also put on like 60 lbs. So totally crashed and burned due to NEVER EVER being able to imagine that some hawt Guess Girl would randomly start hitting on me in my current state. >_<

At least it gives me hope that I might get some action when I'm Dr. sixpack by next summer/autumn. :p

p.s. I realise this is tangentially related, at best, to what I quoted. :p

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I went to church this morning. No one's gotten word to me about a memorial service for my dad, which I wouldn't attend anyway. ...But I take it, from the lack of communication, that I wouldn't be welcome either, which might seem sad, but it also takes away the burden of deciding whether or not to travel to Las Vegas.

You know what's weird? I haven't told anyone in 'real life.' As little as I've said about it on this board, my friends here locally don't even know my dad is dead. I can't seem to bring it up. It's just this thing. Aw well, no more getting emo. Just observing how odd things like this are.

I checked and got the okay to use my dad's name in lieu of mine for my pledge. I don't know that I'll ever visit his real grave, but at least I'll have a gravestone to visit in the game. I know I can't cite stuff from the real world, but I'm sure there's something I can put on the headstone to commemorate his life. As silly as it might seem, I'm actually comforted that I'll be able to start up the game and visit my dad.

Enough from me. I'd like to say, one last time, how much I appreciate the thoughts and prayers from you guys, both the people who responded in my thread and the folks who sent me PMs. I might have seemed a little short, but it's just because I didn't know what to say. It was still kind of you to send word.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!