What you did today

Tale

Training a dog is one reason why, even tho I might enjoy having certain types of dogs, I probably won't ever get one. I keep thinking about it but ... watching hubby's sister's very hyper dog, I don't have the energy it would require, anymore. All I have to worry about with a cat is whether they scratch the furniture. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm still waiting on pics of your pole dancing friend, Bruce. Get on it!

Meanwhile, I've just finished the second week at my new job as a project leader for a big Swedish company. They've already made me join a sect (my work phone is an iPhone) and removed me from my home (had to fly to a two day meeting). Yesterday I got my new work computer. It's an Ultrabook of some kind (Fujitsu) and it's so thin I could slice bread with it.

I think I'm going to enjoy working here.

So... IKEA :-D.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Training a dog is one reason why, even tho I might enjoy having certain types of dogs, I probably won't ever get one. I keep thinking about it but ... watching hubby's sister's very hyper dog, I don't have the energy it would require, anymore. All I have to worry about with a cat is whether they scratch the furniture. :)

Dogs with high-energy are generally bred for work of some sort. A lot of people don't get (then again, a lot of people don't get a lot of things,) why their dog tears up the house while they're out; it's because the dogs were meant to be out chasing foxes, herding sheep, mauling enemy soldiers, and all the other purposes we'd bred them for in ye olde tymes. Example: A Dalmatian can run about 50 miles a day. Every day. So long as it's well fed, anyway. To keep that amount of energy locked up inside, all day, every day, save for maybe a 15-30 minute walk? Of course they're going to go nuts and destroy things. When getting a dog it's vital for the safety of your furniture and the dog's quality of life to do real research on the breed and what behaviors it was bred for.

To keep that amount of energy locked up inside, all day, every day, save for maybe a 15-30 minute walk? Of course they're going to go nuts and destroy things. When getting a dog it's vital for the safety of your furniture and the dog's quality of life to do real research on the breed and what behaviors it was bred for.

Yeah, exactly. I don't always understand why people get a dog (or any pet) that they don't seem to have the time/energy for. I tried researching breeds of dogs and their common temperaments and that was when I realized I probably didn't have what it take since I'd want one of the larger, more active ones.

My sister-in-law has moved out of CA, up north now, with a much much bigger yard/house vs. what she had here, so I bet that's helped. Their dog wasn't huge, but it was extremely hyper (some kind of wolf/husky looking breed). Having more than a small, fenced in suburban yard to run around in is probably heaven for him. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

To keep that amount of energy locked up inside, all day, every day, save for maybe a 15-30 minute walk? Of course they're going to go nuts and destroy things. When getting a dog it's vital for the safety of your furniture and the dog's quality of life to do real research on the breed and what behaviors it was bred for.

Yeah, exactly. I don't always understand why people get a dog (or any pet) that they don't seem to have the time/energy for. I tried researching breeds of dogs and their common temperaments and that was when I realized I probably didn't have what it take since I'd want one of the larger, more active ones.

My sister-in-law has moved out of CA, up north now, with a much much bigger yard/house vs. what she had here, so I bet that's helped. Their dog wasn't huge, but it was extremely hyper (some kind of wolf/husky looking breed). Having more than a small, fenced in suburban yard to run around in is probably heaven for him. :)

Unfortunately, most people are simply content to think "a dog's a dog's a dog," and that it's just another showpiece of their economic success. Sure, they might love their dog, but that doesn't mean they understand the dog or its needs. I couldn't tell you how many project irrational beliefs on dog behaviors, i.e. seeing whimpering submission as an admission of "guilt" for a "recognized infraction," as though the dog "knows" that rummaging through the trash is "against the rules." Animal hoarders are a prime example of people who have an overabundance of "love" but zero understanding of the needs of the animals they "love."

Edited by AGX-17

Yeah, in this case it happens to be my sister's dog and I'm just the one who is at home during the day as my mother's primary carer, I get to look after the mutt as well.

It's not one of those "I just randomly thought I'd get a german shephard for the hell of it"

And between folks, we try to get it running around in the garden as well as the assorted walks. But, we just don't get enough people visiting the house, so that makes it a big turn of interest, and also adds to the difficulty of getting him used to it.

But one of the key things with dogs is getting their brain engaged as much as just running back and forth. Which is why playful training is good. But can still be a pain in the ass when dealing with an overenthusiastic and incredibly stubborn german shephard. :)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Sadly, I think we're like that with our dachshunds, don't really walk them too much - roughly 710 m or so - and my sister sees it as a huge hassle and they're really her dogs nominally, heh. I'm not that much better, but I'm admittedly a lazy bum :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm at a surgery center waiting for my wife to get a EGD, basically they stick a camera down her throat to check for stuff. Her pancreatitis has subsided, but they still dont know what caused it. For now we are sticking to a vegetarian diet and hoping for the best. She still isnt cleared to go to work, but she is getting her strength back fast and should be good next week.

Sounds frustrating Hurlshot! Hope you get some answers or at least some direction as how healing might begin/continue!

Doing some research and then taking the auto into the shop for pre-winter check-up & prep!

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Holy sudden thunder/rainstorm! :) Guess we didn't get the backyard "stuff" rain-covered in time. Not that I expect it to last long. I always love the first few big rains, tho.

Had a filling chip yesterday, so went to get it fixed. Turns out it had been done badly the first time around, and I was a hair's breadth away from needing root canal. Whew.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Now my mother is mobility impaired, but insists on going out and doing big shopping trips by herself. She tends to go around on a mobility buggy and all that, and she treats it as a good way to get out of the house and prove a certain level of independance....

However, she won't accept that buying stack loads of food to put in the freezer because its "on sale" or "cheap" is not actually saving money if it gets put away and we still have it 8 months later. Although its good practice of space/volume management trying to get it all in the freezer when she turns up with it. I haven't been able to de-frost the freezer in a couple of years. Every time we get within spitting distance of having it nearly empty enough to do so.. she suddenly goes on a frenzy to get it filled to capacity and beyond...

However, she won't accept that buying stack loads of food to put in the freezer because its "on sale" or "cheap" is not actually saving money if it gets put away and we still have it 8 months later.

:lol: Some people just love a sale. We have family that will burn $2 in gas to save $0.75 on a carton of eggs. ;)

Nothing much happening so far today....but it's still early. Planning on a short hike with the macro lenses, something I like to do after a rain.

Looked up my childhood best friend and his younger brother on the internet. Both were arrested in the past year. The friend was arrested for drug possession, which is not surprising, last I'd ever heard of him back in the day was much of the same. The brother was arrested for assaulting a family member. I wonder if it was his older brother.

Hoped for better than that for the two of them. Especially the brother.

Edit: And for fun's sake, I did google myself. I take pride in the fact that I'm impossible to find by my real name.

Edit2: Best friend in college. Driving with a suspended license. While intoxicated. Expected better.

Edit3: Best friend in High School. Died in 2003. WTH!

:(

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Looked up my childhood best friend and his younger brother on the internet. Both were arrested in the past year. The friend was arrested for drug possession, which is not surprising, last I'd ever heard of him back in the day was much of the same. The brother was arrested for assaulting a family member. I wonder if it was his older brother.

Edit: And for fun's sake, I did google myself. I take pride in the fact that I'm impossible to find by my real name.

Edit2: Best friend in college. Driving with a suspended license. While intoxicated. Expected better.

I'm removing you from my friends list before something catastrophic happens to me.

Know one of my friends ended up in jail and a pothead, bunch of elementary school classmates ended up similarly - whores, single moms, druggies, gangers. Should really try to track them down - did find it funny where some high school classmates ended up, one jackass became a cop, a guy you'd think would be a slacker is a doctor.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

One of my old highschool chums is a Prof. at Princeton U. She was always a smart one.

I was never very ambitious...just about everyone I know (family/friends) have impressive sounding career titles. But I get to play video games all day, most days, if I want. So there. ;)

Shopping, gaming, then maybe watching Prometheus.

Edit: I spent way too much on beef jerky...

Edited by LadyCrimson

When I run into people I went to middle school with..and I see them with wives/husbands & assorted kids.. I really can't decide whether I feel as if I've never actually grown up.. Or as if I'm just too damn old.. :shifty:

Going to a Wedding Rehearsal - yeah rituals of hope ;)

Did you already picked one of the bridesmaids?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm removing you from my friends list before something catastrophic happens to me.
Bad stuff does not happen around me, it happens after I leave. I am the bulwark against chaos and despair. Take your chances.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Thousands of pages cry out to me, saying, READ ME, READ ME. I hold wisdom, and knowledge, and all that you shall need, for your spiritual sustenance, for your next paper, for the next income bracket. Only by reading me shall ye be saved. But I know they lie, I will read them, and I will find they are mostly full of crap.

Sorry, I meant I'm doing research. Would like to start a IWD/2 run, or actually, continue my BG LP, but no time, no time.

When I run into people I went to middle school with..and I see them with wives/husbands & assorted kids.. I really can't decide whether I feel as if I've never actually grown up.. Or as if I'm just too damn old.. :shifty:

Same here. :D

Bad stuff does not happen around me, it happens after I leave. I am the bulwark against chaos and despair. Take your chances.

Good point. I'll have to remember that the next time I want to throw a temper tantrum and leave the board when everybody has reached a group-think singularity. ;)

Edited by Nepenthe