Looking at the "they changed the ending because of the script leak, and are going to do a (free) dlc with the real ending later" rumour, it does have the advantage of allowing them to fix the mess with their face intact, if they so choose - even if it hasn't been planned all along.

I think I'm Bargaining, now.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The funniest thing about the ending is that it made people expect FREE dlc. xD

That wasn't the ending, that was the 4chan troll master. :p

There are many examples of writers making it up as they go (Stephen King's Dark Tower cycle, Wheel of Time, Song of Ice and Fire, even Lord of the Rings), it's just a matter of writing talent and priorities.

The entirety of ME2 was basically a waste of a game, focusing so much on characters that the overall plot got completely lost and was never furthered. Hence, enter the MacGuffins and Deus ex machina in ME3.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Said it over at Bioware Social. JMS is probably the only writer I know of who wasn't making it up as he went. Then you factor in that Bioware has a team of writers, not just one guy making 95% of the decisions, and it's probably harder than for others.

I don't understand why there are still unskippable cutscenes around. From what I have been able to gather the reason is not technical. It's loading or clearing the cache in the backgound. So why ?.

Benefit of the doubt is that it is technical. The first unskippable in ME1 and ME3 are centered around the same situation, people watching a monitor. There may be some issue with things going on on-screen that can't be skipped and will end up running concurrent if you try.

An example I saw last night. The Crucible cinematic, where it is first revealed in construction. I skipped over that. Then the music continued over everything that followed.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's sad to see them missing the point as well. Nobody wants that. I mean... a Segway? We deserve a jetpack.

It's sad to see them missing the point as well. Nobody wants that. I mean... a Segway? We deserve a jetpack.

Especially since cerberus has them.

Their man Kuchera did similar earlier, went off on people not liking it just because it wasn't happy and you don't end up with the LI. Rather than it being muddled with the bizarre bit with the Normandy - Ashley and Liara got off it but they were with me in London - or just lacking detail (I was expecting some long conversation with Harbinger - who again is pretty useless as an antagonist).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well the reapers aren't acting like villains anymore... Well not as character villains

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Spent 10 minutes or so tooling around on ME2 trying to remember where I left off a year and a half ago. 5 minutes of that was trying to figure out why I couldn't save the game before remembering that stupid save limit. One thing I forgot and like is how it's playable in windowed mode after the persistent difficulties with Gamebryo and task switching.

Anyway it seems I got farther in my second playthrough (the one I started after playing ME1 for the first time, so the first was junk in terms of my character development) so I guess I may be able to finish it in 5-10 hours (with a couple hours on top regaining my bearings), which I will probably elect to do ....sometime.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

My favorite thing about a game getting a negative reception is the post-mortem. I learn so much. Going in with lots of information, having a clear expectation, and weighing the result can tell you a lot about your assumptions.

Main thing I learned is that endings are worth far more than I give them credit for. And I'm reading around trying to figure out why that is.

Has this been linked yet? Musings of a Screenwriter.

We probably have a few aspiring or accomplished writers here. I know we have an editor somewhere. Any disagreements or reinforcement?

Stages aren't so discrete. I have some bargaining left in me yet.

Stages aren't so discrete. I have some bargaining left in me yet.

I'm definitely back in anger after seeing bits from "final hours" on social. :p

Yeah, the bits about

The illusive man boss fight had been scrapped... but there was still much debate. 'One night walters scribbled down some thought on various ways the game could end with the line "Lots of speculation for Everyone!" at the bottom of the page.'

Really hit the death nail on the "Indoctrination Theory" that so many people have been pinning hope on...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I only saw some guy's summary over there, heh. Yeah looks like the Indoctrination Theory is dead. Maybe we can just hope they'll explain the Normandy sequence at least. (This is denial, I'm guessing).

"Originally, with the catalyst, the star child at the end of the game, I had written that much more in the guise of a investigative style conversation, where there is something he tells you but then, you get to ask a bunch of questions and you get your questions answered. But then me and Casey talked and decided, lets keep the conversation "High level". Give you the details that you need to know, but don't get into the stuff that you don't need to know. Like "How long have they been reaping?" You don't need to know the answers to the mass effect universe. So we intentionally left those out"

This is a head shaker for me, it does work for you to not know everything, but in a game where you're just some grunt or something similar - best example is FS2. Shame, really.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Has there been a video game ending that has caused this much anger within the fanbase of the game in question before? I'm honestly curious, because I can't recall this much bitterness toward a game's ending as ME3 is getting.

The closest recent comparison would be (ironically enough) BioWare's other recent title, Dragon Age 2. I followed the Dragon Age 2 fiasco, and while there certainly were a lot who disliked the direction the game went, I don't think the numbers of haters rivaled the sheer number for ME3's ending.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'd say it's the contrast. 90% of the game is rather well crafted, and elements from the previous two games are woven in nicely. But to have that sudden reversal of quality on the final ten minutes.. It's jarring and it stands out.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."