Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

It's a matter of days now, got to admit I'm getting more anxious about it but mostly on the technical side of things, I've been burned by quite a few pre-ordered games this last year or two.

I noticed a thread about rain still passing through roofs and buildings, which I find strange as modders have had that one fixed for a long time in Morrowind :thumbsup:

It's a matter of days now, got to admit I'm getting more anxious about it but mostly on the technical side of things, I've been burned by quite a few pre-ordered games this last year or two.

I noticed a thread about rain still passing through roofs and buildings, which I find strange as modders have had that one fixed for a long time in Morrowind :thumbsup:

I remember the devs responding to that complaint all the way back in Morrowind days. Their answer was pretty simple: not worth the cpu cycles.

My guess is that trying to get this game to run well on current consoles means cutting back on a lot of stuff.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I have to admit, I've bought into the hype more than a little. I'm sure I'll have the same problems with Skyrim that I've had with every other Bethesda game but I suppose it's about enjoying what they do well - exploration and lore and all that stuff.

I remember the devs responding to that complaint all the way back in Morrowind days. Their answer was pretty simple: not worth the cpu cycles.

My guess is that trying to get this game to run well on current consoles means cutting back on a lot of stuff.

I think it had something to do with the rain ~raining everywhere (including under balconies and overhanging roofs; all of that would then need to have collision geometry).

[CPU cycles spent on raindrop checks...]

Edited by Gizmo

I noticed a thread about rain still passing through roofs and buildings, which I find strange as modders have had that one fixed for a long time in Morrowind :lol:

Snow too. I've seen it. Through a tent, lol. I personally don't mind little things like that, but I'll certainly nitpick other minor things I'm sure. It amuses me all the different things we all will nitpick over in a game. :lol:

Pre-ordered on Steam couple days ago. I've bought enough into the hype now to finally feel some anticipation. At the least, with all the debate, I'm really curious to see how it will look on the PC. Not expecting uber-ness but still curious. Besides, nothing else to do in winter.

In terms of bugs/glitches, as long as it doesn't crash every 10 minutes, the pc loading times (saves, area, anything) don't take forever & I don't encounter any game-breaking quest bugs, I'll be content enough. I'm a lot more worried about whether I'll like gameplay.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In terms of bugs/glitches, as long as it doesn't crash every 10 minutes, the pc loading times (saves, area, anything) don't take forever & I don't encounter any game-breaking quest bugs, I'll be content enough. I'm a lot more worried about whether I'll like gameplay.

I don't think loading times will be an issue, definitely sharing your concern about crashes though, we all know the core of this engine has been rotting for years, fingers crossed they patched it up.

Trying to play Oblivion to get a refresher of what they did wrong and right with it.

The leveling system it has is soooo terrible. And the skills just generally aren't well designed. Hopefully the changes they've made will rectify this problem. Mysticism being rolled into alteration can prevent them from both sucking. And maybe they've made illusion useful beyond having to grind frenzy, calm, and light until 50.

I think the main reason I pre-ordered Skyrim is because they detached skill increases from stat increases. Yay for being able to cast better spells without grinding conjuration or alchemy.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

they detached skill increases from stat increases.

Yup, this alone makes the game worth trying. It can't possibly do anything but improve gameplay by a huge amount.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

A magazine called Atomic has given Skyrim 95%, you can find scans if you search around, the game is mostly praised apart from a few AI issues.

I love how they listed "id software" as Skyrim's developer. Whoops. Also interesting is that they liken Skyrim to Fallout New Vegas. There are some flaws, but the game's sheer scope overshadows it.

The perk system is much better than the leveling system before. No more watching how I level in order to get that x5 modifier.

The perk system is much better than the leveling system before. No more watching how I level in order to get that x5 modifier.

thiiiiiis

leveling system has been so broken in morrowind and oblivion

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

A magazine called Atomic has given Skyrim 95%, you can find scans if you search around, the game is mostly praised apart from a few AI issues.

Oblivion got high marks across the board when it came out. I think it's metacritic rating is even higher than Fallout 3 or Fallout:NV.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Oblivion got high marks across the board when it came out. I think it's metacritic rating is even higher than Fallout 3 or Fallout:NV.

And to my eternal shame I went on to enjoy it for hundreds of hours :rolleyes:

Why do streams have to be so terrible?

Tried watching one stream.

NPC: Look in those chests.

Streamer: I'll look in the chest.

*lists off every item in the chest*

This is how he does everything. It's a running commentary of mundane actions and repeating what NPCs tell him nonstop.

If by streams you mean stuff like twitch.tv or even just YT Let's Plays, I've become rather fond of people who do such without ever saying a word. Or at least not more than an occasional exclamation. It's rare that one is funny or interesting enough to be a successful chatty gameplay narrator...most of the time they end up just being an annoying hyper-speaker who's voice overrides every game sound.

Edit: oh, and I read that Skyrim will be patched to version 1.1 on day of release. :rolleyes:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The leveling system it has is soooo terrible. And the skills just generally aren't well designed. Hopefully the changes they've made will rectify this problem. Mysticism being rolled into alteration can prevent them from both sucking. And maybe they've made illusion useful beyond having to grind frenzy, calm, and light until 50.

Eh? They're all very useful for a magic aligned character.

Illusion -> Charm, Paralyze, Chameleon, Invisibility (finishing all Oblivion gates in 2 minutes)

Alteration -> Shield, Feather, Open Lock, Water walking, Water breathing, (Levitate)

Mysticism -> Dispel, Soultrap, Reflect spell, Absorb spell, Detect life, Telekinesis

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

they detached skill increases from stat increases.

Yup, this alone makes the game worth trying. It can't possibly do anything but improve gameplay by a huge amount.

ohh good. Now you are allowed to use the best tactic for the job without being penalized at level up.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Trying to play Oblivion to get a refresher of what they did wrong and right with it.

Aside from being a graphically good looking title on a recently launched console, I can't think of too many positives for Oblivion. Sloppy execution all around.

Aside from being a graphically good looking title on a recently launched console, I can't think of too many positives for Oblivion. Sloppy execution all around.

Much as I am inclined to agree with you, it wasn't totally sloppy.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Illusion -> Paralyze, Chameleon, Invisibility
Not available before 50.

Alteration -> Shield, Feather, Open Lock, Water walking, Water breathing, (Levitate)
Water walking and breathing are barely useful. Water walking being the better at a rare travel convenience you might use twice per quest line. Feather is useful maybe twice per dungeon. The spells are so situational you might get one or two skill increases per level. So it's going to fall behind, leaving the open spells falling behind as well. Unless you grind it, you won't be able to use open average lock for a very long time.

Mysticism -> Dispel, Soultrap, Reflect spell, Absorb spell, Detect life, Telekinesis
Dispel is useless, nobody casts spells with long enough durations to be worth the mana cost. Soultrap is useful, yes. Reflect and absorb aren't available until late. Detect life before 50 has a pathetic range. Telekensis is borderline useless.

It's a general design issue with the game. They're utility and 90% of the game has no use for it. Lockpicking managed to get around this by giving multiple skillups per failed lock. So you can go up 3 times on a single lock and with no gates. But magic has neither of those benefits.

You know, I really miss levitate/jumping over half of Vvardenfell. It was brilliant.

There really should be no good reason to leave that out now, with dragons flying around and throwing NPCs all over the place. Or are they afraid people will start running into dragons in the air?

The way they handle maps and level design doesn't allow it, both for memory constraints and because it would make putting obstacles on the player's path more difficult if you can circumvent them and break the flow by levitating. It's a pity, I've been replaying Morrowind recently and levitating in Tel Fyr is a really great and subtle "setpiece" moment. ;)