Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Morrowind's main narrative was hardly juvenile and had a solid metanarrative to go with it. I don't care about the main quest anyway I'll probably focus on the civil war quests immediately.

Morrowind was Bethesda's writing high point. By far. Although Daggerfall was reasonably solid.

I'm not really complaining though. As long as the narrative provides a sort of overarching structure to hold the gameplay together, that's good enough.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think they're trying to channel Morrowind here. There's some definitely reused themes. There's political and house struggles. The player is essentially a living god.

And a hint that they're looking for grey morality in the new Empire. And the Thalmor, who aren't really all that grey, but seem interesting enough for behind the scenes plots.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Isn't 11-11-11 Veteran's Day in most of Europe, in England as well as in the US ?

And yes, normally games in the US comes out on a Tuesday while games in Europe are released om Fridays. However, the Witcher 2 did get relased world wide on a Tuesday.

If 11-11-11 is Veteran's Day it can been seen as the irony of fate that Skyrim comes outon this day, I find.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

I'm definitely going to kick those Imperial pussies out of Skyrim.

Hi-five!

Factions, smactions....I'm just ready to kill a dragon and turn it into a hat.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tullius is on the List. All of the Legion in the starting town are.

Tullius is on the List. All of the Legion in the starting town are.

What's your beef with Hadvar, man? :(

He's an accomplice to their crime.

It's up for pre-load on Steam now. :(

Edit: which may be the reason why my DL of Rage is going kinda slow...tho Rage is a big DL...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

After Oblivion, it's already been called several times. The RPG enthusiasts are prepared this time around, mwahahah.

Still, I think the game will be fun and all but yeeeeaah... The hype is pretty damn incredible I think if you look around the net. I think it'll live up to it for many people no doubt but there are a lot of people who are setting themselves up for disappointment as well. It's to be expected I guess.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

My expectation is that some things will have Morrowindified Oblivion; other aspects, it will have Oblivionified even further (e.g. UI, level scaled dragons). I'm mainly hoping that the former will outweigh the latter - that will make me happy.

Two really big improvements I hope we'll see from Oblivion to Skyrim are

A) hopefully a lot better level scaling system

B) a better sense of culture and place

I think the scaling will be better than Oblivion, but I think it was still rather noticeable in Fallout 3 for example. Don't have confidence that Bethesda will get it right, though hopefully it'll be decent.

On B though, this is where I really do believe they will come through judging from what I've seen. And to be frank, it's a really big thing for games that go for a scale similar t Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas Morrowind (something more "zoomed in" than Daggerfall for example).

I also like the idea of the perks, and some of them look genuinely interesting. I *hope* it will make characters different from one another, and not just that my Light Armor character will be *slightly* more succesful than if I were wearing Heavy Armor with no skill in it. Not a lot of faith here though but hope I'm wrong.

Still, just the world and culture alone. If they get that right, then that will win me over in many ways.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

i agree that world and culture are two of the biggest pieces required to nail a game like this.

new vegas had it

morrowind had it

but oblivion didn't

I'm expecting skyrim to be closer to new vegas/morrowind than oblivion, and with the level scaling issues presumably repaired (or mostly), skyrim will possibly be as nearly as good as morrowind (i really doubt it will be better, but you never know). that said, i'm prepared to deal with a game thats only mildly better than oblivion. if SOMEHOW it ended up worse than oblivion.... well, I'm gonna be really really sad.

i would be jumping around like a kid on christmas if they were to announce that obsidian was going to make a offshoot of skyrim ala new vegas. that game would probably be the best ES game made to date

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Going by leaked footage there are plenty of enemy types that are terrifying for starter players, and they also seem to be handplaced. It's very little to judge upon, but I'm not worried about that. As long as the game has a sense of culture and lore (and at this point, I have very little doubt it will), I will enjoy it, though it's unlikely I'll consider it the BESTEST GAME EVAH.

P.S. : I mourn the loss of attributes and think they still could have been retained with the new leveling system, but the perk system looks like a decent attempt to introduce a chance to specialize your character at least a little.

P.P.S. : Perk list.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver