Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

It's not by time zones, it's by regions. Supposedly, anyway.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It is by time zone - locally.

US/Canada gets it at the same time (which is affected by our local timezones).

But worldwide, different regions do have some difference, AU, because otherwise they'd have to wait a long time past the 11th (I think) to get it, since they're 18-19 hours ahead of (me) or something. Among other reasons or possible localized problems, of course.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I unlocked my copy via an Australian VPN.

Played the tutorial and some after. Seems pretty nice so far, liking the perk system.

Worst part of it? Holy sh*t, the interface for PC users is horrendous. It's really, really bad.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Played the tutorial and some after. Seems pretty nice so far, liking the perk system.

Worst part of it? Holy sh*t, the interface for PC users is horrendous. It's really, really bad.

I was afraid of that, and reviews mentioning it pretty much convinced me it would be a horrible UI for PC. Guess I'll play with my Xbox 360 controller unless mouse and keyboard feels smoother for gameplay.

Hmmm. In which case, can anybody recommend a console-style make of controller for the PC please?

Tx in advance.

Edit: 58% downloaded and unlocks in 3 hrs GMT!

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

What's so terrible about the KB/mouse UI setup? I see ppl complaining but I can't get a clear idea of it...you can reconfigure some of the hotkeys & hotkey some stuff so is it mostly about the design?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Maybe it's like Oblivion's lockpicking minigame. That is an offense to mouse cursors everywhere.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hmmm. In which case, can anybody recommend a console-style make of controller for the PC please?

Tx in advance.

Edit: 58% downloaded and unlocks in 3 hrs GMT!

Like any other Elder Scrolls game: "Mods will fix it!"

P.S. Welcome back!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What's so terrible about the KB/mouse UI setup? I see ppl complaining but I can't get a clear idea of it...you can reconfigure some of the hotkeys & hotkey some stuff so is it mostly about the design?

If I have understood correctly, you apparently can't use mouse at all with some menus, and the UI that was supposedly to be entirely different in PC version is the same that is in consoles, which is absolutely horrifying with PC. Can someone with the game clarify?

Maybe the game has mouse acceleration also for bonus annoyance?

You can hotkey some of the menu stuff or something (I read how, but can't remember offhand), which apparently many don't realize at first, but don't know if that helps the situation...maybe you can hotkey to a mouse button. I'll have to wait and see tho. Hope it's something I can get used to because for my hands controllers are usually worse than a bad PC UI.

...and yeah, I think it does have mouse acceleration. .ini tricks to the rescue, perhaps.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Supposedly you can use WASD for the menu navigation.

From a Beth fora post:

So you can't click on inventory items at all? You have to use arrow keys and the Enter key to select?
You can. They keyboard just works 100x better.

I use WASD for navigation, and E for selecting (r drops). And as I posted above, hotkeying off of the favorites menu (Q) works.

More:

You can. Bring up the favorites menu using Q and then hit a # to bind it to that hotkey. Easy peasy. And do try using WASD for menu navigation.
Edited by LadyCrimson

Well they did say PC development is a headache. WASD for a menu is pretty funny.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

...and yeah, I think it does have mouse acceleration. .ini tricks to the rescue, perhaps.

itke_minulle_joki.gif

What game devs have against good M/KB controls these days?

What game devs have against good M/KB controls these days?

:lol:

That pretty much sums it up for my way of thinking. I'm getting used to it actually. Most of the time I find some config. that works, tho some are worse than others of course.

(edit..man my brain-to-typing skills really are going downhill in bucket. srsly)

Edited by LadyCrimson

I don't doubt that, but the thing is, I personally think playing a first person view game with a pad is just as fun as going for a drive with a wheelbarrow.

Sorry to be thick, but are we saying that I can just buy an XBox controller and it will be immediately plug and play or wireless compatible with my Vista :: shudders :: desktop PC?

Just that the keyboard thing looks hideous and I can pick one up tomorrow if that's the case.

sonsofgygax.JPG

A regular wired Xbox 360 controller will (or at least in XP) require a driver. The driver can be acquired from windows update once the controller is plugged in.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Sorry to be thick, but are we saying that I can just buy an XBox controller and it will be immediately plug and play or wireless compatible with my Vista :: shudders :: desktop PC?

Just that the keyboard thing looks hideous and I can pick one up tomorrow if that's the case.

Go buy a wired 360 controller, it will be cheaper, and it's USB