RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

If Bio games wouldn't be considered "quality games", then neither EA nor many customers would invest so much money and trust into them.

Look, Bio can just launch another studio and IP as they wish. What about Obsidian? Oh, they're still stuck making ****ty sequels with small budgets.

Keep on trolling, my dear pals.

Edited by Morgoth

Siege of Grozny: the RPG.

Hey, it could work.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If it has no similarities to Bioware games then there's no point in branding the Studio Bioware XXX. Capiche?

Now that I've recovered, I have to say that I agree with you. So either it's an RPG or they are off their rockers.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Similarities doesn't have to mean it has to be an RPG. Man, are some people here really so thick or what?

Well, what other people would call an RPG, not the RPG in your personal genre jungle.

I guess this is the shooter people have been waiting for. Worth watching at least.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

All these talks on the massive Eidos Montreal hiring and yet another new Bioware studio make me wonder why Bethesda still has this single pipeline, three years per game development cycle. It's positively antique now and I have problems thinking of another AAA studio with the same strategy. Epic may be an example but they have such a major engine development component it should be counted as a second pipeline.

Bethesda still has this single pipeline, three years per game development cycle. It's positively antique now...

Well they don't seem to have any money issues so it's obviously a strategy that works for them.

Fortune favors the bald.

I wouldn't mind that model for Obsidian. It would be nice if they had an IP and franchise of their own that sold well enough that they were able to have Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer, etc work on successive iterations and really get things right, without juggling multiple projects and schedules and going from one borrowed IP to another.

I wouldn't mind that model for Obsidian. It would be nice if they had an IP and franchise of their own that sold well enough that they were able to have Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer, etc work on successive iterations and really get things right, without juggling multiple projects and schedules and going from one borrowed IP to another.

Well "having" an IP with sequels (both borrowed and original) may as well still come. Until Bethesda and Square Enix Obsidian wasn't really known for healthy publisher relationships.

You're dismissing the official statement of a publically traded company which was informing the market of a positive surprise in its performance due to it not being a "disinterested party". I consider that bit of information to be the only relevant data released - mostly since the people who released it are actually accountable for it! Your dismissal of it basically presupposes that they are using creative accounting to turn up profits and pointing at a failed DXHR saying "Yeah, that... THING, um, surprised us!"

It isn't creative accountancy and it isn't an outright dismissal, it's just that SE gets its money 'now', based on shipments rather than actual sales, and that can come back to bite them if they overship- burying unsold copies of Daikatana in landfills, as an extreme example. Frankly, all companies spin statements, often in the same manner as, well, me being happy with the weather today. It's dull, cool and overcast rather than bright, warm and sunny; but hey! it ain't cold, windy and rainy so I'm happy with it.

"If it has no similarities to Bioware games then there's no point in branding the Studio Bioware XXX. Capiche? "

Similarities is way too vague though. ISome would argue that a FPS is 'simialr' to ME2 anyways.

Have you not heard of branding. There is so many 'BIO divisions' (aka EA division) it's gonna be varied. Quite frankly, if EA's sports division wans't alreayd very strong, I could have seen EA making a 'BIO Sports division'.

Afterall, while BIO EDM and BIO TEX have similartieis one largely focvused on rpg typem games while the other is soley focvused on an individual MMO so just because you want a BIO EDMN game 9or vice versa) doesn't mean you will get the other.

People here have been bragging about pre ordering BIO TEX's $150 KOTOR MMO and lpping up the free beta test while I promptly erased it for all eternity and I'm supposedly the 'biggest bio fanboy' around. L0L

Bottom line is if you expect the new division to making games like BIO EDM is... WRONG.. Different managers, different goals, different games.

Afterall, KOTOR MMO team's goal is hella dfifferent than ME3 team's goals (oustide of amking moolah obviously).

Capiche?

P.S. If this new division maskes agame focused solely on romance or FPS would be that 'similar' enough? Or better yet, what happens if it is focused on SS or MDK2 style games? Is that BIO enough for you despite the fact those aren't really BIO style games in the way we see them?

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Evidence points to new BioWare game to Command & Conquer game; Victory Games (former EALA) now a BioWare studio

Hmm... C&C was in need for a long overhaul anyway, maybe this time around they get it right. RTS+RPG elements would be cool.

I so wish I'd actually written "it looks like an RTS" yesterday when I was thinking it. :)

Evidence points to new BioWare game to Command & Conquer game; Victory Games (former EALA) now a BioWare studio

Hmm... C&C was in need for a long overhaul anyway, maybe this time around they get it right. RTS+RPG elements would be cool.

EA's track record with the C&C games isn't that great, but a reboot could not suck

Command & Conquer is dead for me since Red Alert 2. :) I can't even stand the name anymore, as I connect only ****ty new games with it by now.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Command & Conquer is dead for me since Red Alert 2. :) I can't even stand the name anymore, as I connect only ****ty new games with it by now.

But...but...but it's BioWare! It gotta be awesome this time around!!!

PS: I agree, C&C was dead for me when Westwood was assimilated. But maybe they get it right this time, I give them the benefit of doubt.

I WANT TO BE A MAMMOTH TANK! Or at least romance one.

Now that I got that out of the way, it would be nice to have a C&C game that I like for a change, the last one was RA2.

i could go for a fun rts, when is the next starcraft expansion coming?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I WANT TO BE A MAMMOTH TANK! Or at least romance one.

Now that I got that out of the way, it would be nice to have a C&C game that I like for a change, the last one was RA2.

Ditto.

Though, wasn't this supposed to be a new IP?