RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Check the Obsidian General Section more often and you would get a lot of answers to all your questions.

But currently they are working on an original IP and a "high profile Animation" IP. There was also another project before those (Virginia) but we have no idea what's up with that. Also theres some other stuff going on.

Or not, as the second part of your witty reply shows.

First off, that wasn't a "witty" replay but a real suggestion. All the information (and other) we have so far on them is there. For example that Tim Cain is working on the animation title as a senior programmer or that Sawyer is on the original IP. Without any of these titles actually beeing announced that is a lot of information.

Trying to help, so dial back.

Edited by C2B

Check the Obsidian General Section more often and you would get a lot of answers to all your questions.

But currently they are working on an original IP and a "high profile Animation" IP. There was also another project before those (Virginia) but we have no idea what's up with that. Also theres some other stuff going on.

Or not, as the second part of your witty reply shows.

First off, that wasn't a "witty" replay but a real suggestion. All the information (and other) we have so far on them is there. For example that Tim Cain is working on the animation title as a senior programmer or that Sawyer is on the original IP. Without any of these titles actually beeing announced that is a lot of information.

Trying to help, so dial back.

Prefacing help with suggestions that the helpee undertake something blatantly obvious tend to come across less as help and more as douchebaggery. Maybe it's just me?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Prefacing help with suggestions that the helpee undertake something blatantly obvious tend to come across less as help and more as douchebaggery. Maybe it's just me?

Yes, its just you. Meaning your perception of it. You are certainly entitled to make up your own mind on how to interpret my words. I'm just telling you how they were actually meant.

Now for some REAL douchebaggery. If it was so blatantly obvious why did you ask the question in the first place? *smugface*

Edited by C2B

Maybe this ? http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1147778

Mind you not accusing Zoraptor of anything, but that was the first mention of sales on this board, that I tracked down. Doesn't really scream failure, though. Anyway..

I'd expect that is where Pidesco got the impression from. I'll still stand by the statement that it didn't sell to expectations*- more so considering how well received critically it was- no matter what Squeenix say. They are not a disinterested party and a lot of the investment made into the franchise, and the impetus from the good reviews, would be lost if they discontinued it now or labelled it an underperformer. To be fair, any game that makes money is a success in an industry where the vast majority of titles are cancelled or outright lose money, but I would have thought their expectation would be 2 million+ sold through by now.

I'd put the dev team size, expectations, costings etc in roughly the Bioware class. As a comparison, ME2 sold about as much in 5 days as DXHR sold in 5 weeks, on 360 alone, and with an initial shipping size less than DXHR, while DXHR had a dev time not that much less than Dragon Age Original (2007-2011 vs 2004-2009). And it may well not even reach the sales of Baldur's Gate. Overall, there's simply no way I can see that DXHR was a cheap game to make unless the comparison is relative to something like GTA/ COD/ GoW.

Comparing the 820k for DS3 vs 2.2 mill for DXHR is fine since they're both shipped figures from the publisher so it's comparing like with like, but they are shipped figures and thus of limited usefulness. Good lord it's depressing seeing how many 'games journalists' still don't know the difference and just say sold.

*The main caveat now is the regional breakdown, since they apparently shipped 800k to NA and 1.3M to Europe. If they sold 75% of their shipped total it would be around 1.7M, edging towards their expectation. I'm not convinced though, not least because DS3 supposedly sold through a higher proportion than DXHR.

Yes, its just you. Meaning your perception of it. You are certainly entitled to make up your own mind on how to interpret my words. I'm just telling you how they were actually meant.

Now for some REAL douchebaggery. If it was so blatantly obvious why did you ask the question in the first place? *smugface*

Oh, you know, just wanted to give someone an opportunity to make an arrogant ass out of themselves :)

No, actually, I anticipated the direction the Deus Ex discussion would take and tried to fix the dam I broke. Best I could think of, spur of the moment.

Maybe this ? http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1147778

Mind you not accusing Zoraptor of anything, but that was the first mention of sales on this board, that I tracked down. Doesn't really scream failure, though. Anyway..

I'd expect that is where Pidesco got the impression from. I'll still stand by the statement that it didn't sell to expectations*- more so considering how well received critically it was- no matter what Squeenix say. They are not a disinterested party and a lot of the investment made into the franchise, and the impetus from the good reviews, would be lost if they discontinued it now or labelled it an underperformer. To be fair, any game that makes money is a success in an industry where the vast majority of titles are cancelled or outright lose money, but I would have thought their expectation would be 2 million+ sold through by now.

I'd put the dev team size, expectations, costings etc in roughly the Bioware class. As a comparison, ME2 sold about as much in 5 days as DXHR sold in 5 weeks, on 360 alone, and with an initial shipping size less than DXHR, while DXHR had a dev time not that much less than Dragon Age Original (2007-2011 vs 2004-2009). And it may well not even reach the sales of Baldur's Gate. Overall, there's simply no way I can see that DXHR was a cheap game to make unless the comparison is relative to something like GTA/ COD/ GoW.

Comparing the 820k for DS3 vs 2.2 mill for DXHR is fine since they're both shipped figures from the publisher so it's comparing like with like, but they are shipped figures and thus of limited usefulness. Good lord it's depressing seeing how many 'games journalists' still don't know the difference and just say sold.

*The main caveat now is the regional breakdown, since they apparently shipped 800k to NA and 1.3M to Europe. If they sold 75% of their shipped total it would be around 1.7M, edging towards their expectation. I'm not convinced though, not least because DS3 supposedly sold through a higher proportion than DXHR.

Objection, (pure) conjecture.

Oh, you know, just wanted to give someone an opportunity to make an arrogant ass out of themselves :)

No, actually, I anticipated the direction the Deus Ex discussion would take and tried to fix the dam I broke. Best I could think of, spur of the moment.

:)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-...dition-detailed

Meanwhile, I double facepalmed and thought of calling somebody to provide me with a third hand.

Ah the MP disease spreads. Still, everything else looks pretty cool.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nope, to the pure part at least.

It is based as much as possible on real numbers from the publishers and NPD, along with some comparison with similar titles. But yes, any discussion of this sort will be rife with conjecture as we don't have all the facts available.

You should, of course, feel free to disagree with the conclusions drawn since it's unprovable as it stands, I was just presenting the case for DXHR being below expectations sales wise. I think it's reasonably convincing or I wouldn't have done it. YMMV.

It's always hard to really pin down these numbers, and then also figure out what the expectations are. What we do know is that Square Enix doubled it's profit forecast and gave a lot of that credit to DX:HR. They also released a DLC for DS3, which they typically aren't going to do for a game that tanked.

Alternatively, Sega made it very clear that they were not happy with Alpha Protocol's sales.

Nope, to the pure part at least.

It is based as much as possible on real numbers from the publishers and NPD, along with some comparison with similar titles. But yes, any discussion of this sort will be rife with conjecture as we don't have all the facts available.

You should, of course, feel free to disagree with the conclusions drawn since it's unprovable as it stands, I was just presenting the case for DXHR being below expectations sales wise. I think it's reasonably convincing or I wouldn't have done it. YMMV.

You're dismissing the official statement of a publically traded company which was informing the market of a positive surprise in its performance due to it not being a "disinterested party". I consider that bit of information to be the only relevant data released - mostly since the people who released it are actually accountable for it! Your dismissal of it basically presupposes that they are using creative accounting to turn up profits and pointing at a failed DXHR saying "Yeah, that... THING, um, surprised us!" :thumbsup:

To paraphrase Mordin Solus (your) theory doesn't fit evidence. ;)

*yawn*

Anything less or what? Threats like thata re emaningless.

Besides, quality is one thing, style is another.

If it's a full fledge FPS which seems to be one of the rumours, it might be of high quality but it certainly won't be the same style that BIO customers are used to. Capiche?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If the Bioware Logo is on it they better make sure it keeps up with Bio Edmonton quality. Anything less would be not acceptable, and the BioDocs know that.

I'm reading that Bioware Edmonton makes quality games? Here? Apparently the Styx froze and you can cross it by walking. :lol:

If the Bioware Logo is on it they better make sure it keeps up with Bio Edmonton quality. Anything less would be not acceptable, and the BioDocs know that.

I'm reading that Bioware Edmonton makes quality games? Here? Apparently the Styx froze and you can cross it by walking. :lol:

Nah, it's just Morgoth posting.

Could've been sarcasm.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.