RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Spike VGAs 2011 Nominees

Expect nothing of the modern gaming industry and you will never be surprised.

Glad that Old World Blues is up for best DLC though.

I like how the game of the year nominees include 3 PC games, yet none of those are nominated for best PC game. Quality judging right there.

Dark Souls as a contender for best RPG... It didn't really look like that on the youtube videos :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I haven't played it, but all I've seen indicate it's a great game. I'm more surprised about Dragon Age 2 being picked too. I'd put Dungeon Siege 3 on that list, myself, but I realize I'm in the minority on that count.

Edit: I also note The Witcher 2 wasn't nominated for best graphics. Laff. From art direction to techninal attributes, it mops the floor with the competition.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Not surprised by DA2 on the list, a lot more surprised by seeing ME:Awakening on the DLC list, and not seeing DXHR's Missing Link on it. I've been playing ME2 this week, and after DXHR, it's felt like going back a generation. Glad I like retro gaming.

So voted for DXHR where I could, definitely my GOTY.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

What awful selection. But then again, this is Spike.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

so instead of making a final fantasy game in the spirit of 6-9, they've decided to go the opposite route and just keep getting further and further from when they were actually making great games?

:)

whatever, clearly the people in charge of the final fantasy franchise have completely lost sight of what made the franchise's popularity explode.

Or it could come up like a great Japanese action-RPG like the Tales series, or Radiata Stories, or Drakengard, or the Secret of Mana series. Yep, Japan isn't known for making Action-RPGs, you're totally right. :)

your response is very non-sequitor... i was talking about taking the final fantasy series, and making it even more different from its golden age. i did not say "japan" makes bad action rpg's

japan is not a developer. square enix is.

square enix has been changing final fantasy for the last few games, and its clear they intend to continue changing it (which pisses off everyone who wants them to return to making games like 6-9).

so, I'm not really sure what you were talking about

also: From Software is Japanese, and Dark Souls was the second best action rpg of this year, so clearly being japanese has nothing to do with an inability to make action rpg's

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Max Payne 3 physics/animation video. Max Payne in name only or not I can't wait for this game!

Buzzword overdose! But that does look pretty cool. I had thought tha original VA got ditched too.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

your response is very non-sequitor... i was talking about taking the final fantasy series, and making it even more different from its golden age. i did not say "japan" makes bad action rpg's

square enix has been changing final fantasy for the last few games, and its clear they intend to continue changing it (which pisses off everyone who wants them to return to making games like 6-9).

also: From Software is Japanese, and Dark Souls was the second best action rpg of this year, so clearly being japanese has nothing to do with an inability to make action rpg's

That's nostalgia talk, I doubt we will have another FF 6-9 because times simply have changed. The FF series has been one of the strongest to live up to this day, the fact that they kept reinventing their mechanics is probably one of the causes. I have some faith that they won't stray too far away from the strategic combat that they are known for just that now instead of pausing (or not) and selecting an option you probably can mash a buttons to attack.

Quite frankly I feel that this is much ado about nothing.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

so instead of making a final fantasy game in the spirit of 6-9, they've decided to go the opposite route and just keep getting further and further from when they were actually making great games?

:)

whatever, clearly the people in charge of the final fantasy franchise have completely lost sight of what made the franchise's popularity explode.

Or it could come up like a great Japanese action-RPG like the Tales series, or Radiata Stories, or Drakengard, or the Secret of Mana series. Yep, Japan isn't known for making Action-RPGs, you're totally right. >_<

10-13 is as much different from 7-9 as is different 7-9 from 1-3 or 4-6 for example... And that is one of the reasons why I like SE.... They are always changing and bringing new mechanics to their titles. That s what I like about their games. XIII was not the best FF game, but it was far from the worst... I enjoyed FFXIII 10x more than I enjoyed FFVIII for example... (Nothing beats FFIX though :p)

So I hope they will continue in this trend and we will see new FF games with new gameplay elements added with each new instalment... The last thing I want to see is going the EA or Activision way of having the same **** packed each year in different box...

FFXIII-2 preordered the day, they announced Crystal Edition for Europe...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Somehow i got in the mood to play a FF game, guess i'll go buy XIII since it's cheap and apparently good. BY the time i will actually finish it, XIII-2 will be released so i can just continue the story.

And how can anyone enjoy FF VIII? >_<

And that Last Story looks far more promising than the last few FFs. Too bad i don't have Wii.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Somehow i got in the mood to play a FF game, guess i'll go buy XIII since it's cheap and apparently good. BY the time i will actually finish it, XIII-2 will be released so i can just continue the story.

And that Last Story looks far more promising than the last few FFs. Too bad i don't have Wii.

VIII is the best FF game, just FYI. It's the one and only thing that Volo is actually correct about.

Some day my morbid curiosity will get to me and I'll probably try FFXIII, but now that the series is no longer turn based, I don't know...

Best or not( i rate it not) , i could never enjoy that game. Squall is one of the few protagonists i wanted to kill immediately, others aren't much better.

I'm also missing great turn based games. :/

1.13 killed off Ja2.

VIII is the best FF game, just FYI. It's the one and only thing that Volo is actually correct about.

Thats really up for debate. For me its by far the worst to the point of hate.

I liked 8 but it was the first RPG I played in my life so that has something to do with it. 6, 7 and 9 are the golden boys, really. I think 9 was the best constructed game in terms of features, balance, etc - it has everything good about the proper FFs before they turned too far to Linear Cinematic Emo-Drama.

I'd welcome a Final Fantasy game that gets rid of the archaic turn-based combat. And the ultra-linear maps. And the female-male-and-everything-in-between confusion. So, basically everything that embodies Final Fantasy.

Trust me, the result will be a better Final Fantasy product.

Sometimes a [insert franchise] in name only is better than the real thing

I think 9 was the best constructed game in terms of features, balance, etc - it has everything good about the proper FFs before they turned too far to Linear Cinematic Emo-Drama.

this.

7 is my personal favorite though, it was also my first, then i played 8, then 6, then 9.

i say the best ones in order were:

then you get to 10 and 12, which were ok, 13 was terrible. Tactics was cool, but was obviously very different.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.