RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

X-COM reboot has been delayed to fiscal 2012. Would not be surprised if it is quietly shelved, permanently, a lot of the senior people at IG Australia (pft, 2k Marin Australia) have left recently and its reception has been at best... mixed.

They should have used Bioshock branding, really, else it's the perfect storm of old fans hating it and new prospective fans never having heard of it.

If you're going to reboot a classic franchise that only a handful of old fans have even heard of, then you'd best make it appeal to those fans at least.

Otherwise the IP name buys you nothing cause nobody outside the handful of old fans has even heard of it. At which point you're simply better off launching a new IP with much ado and fanfare and blaring of trumpets.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If you're going to reboot a classic franchise that only a handful of old fans have even heard of, then you'd best make it appeal to those fans at least.

But thats exactly the point - when old fans start to complain they draw the attention of younger gamers.

If you own a worthless IP you might as well put it to some use.

I think a better use would be to make a game that appeals strongly to fans of the IP gameplay while trying to expand the fanbase to appeal to newer gamers.

Or, make a lower-cost game that aims strictly at a niche market and doesn't need huge sales to turn a profit.

Either one could make money.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think a better use would be to make a game that appeals strongly to fans of the IP gameplay while trying to expand the fanbase to appeal to newer gamers.

Or, make a lower-cost game that aims strictly at a niche market and doesn't need huge sales to turn a profit.

Unfortunately most publishers don't want to waste effort on niche markets.

It makes more sense to burn the IP in an attempt to promote a new shooter than to make plenty of adjustment to enter a low-profit nostalgia-ridden and indie-overrun market.

I think they could have used x-com successfully, either through the more traditional Firaxis project that got canned, or by piggy backing Bioshock. Most of what has been seen of the fps xcom would fit fine with Bioshock- right era, similar(ish) art style, potentially reasonably similar enemies- and it actually seemed to have as much in common with Bioshock as Bioshock Infinite does. Have it as an origin story, whatever.

As it stood though everything was done wrong. No Ken Levine equivalent to get publicity, rather underwhelming videos and screenshots, zero buzz and an all pervading sense of negativity brought about by shoehorning the xcom name onto something that had little to do with the original.

Bioshock: Alien Invasion!

Same game, change the title, add plasmids.

Would sell millions. Leave XCOM dead and buried.

So, a couple of people got laid off and the game got postponed, and people are already jumping to the wildest conclusions...

:lol:

Well, I hope the game dies, so this is promising.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So, a couple of people got laid off and the game got postponed, and people are already jumping to the wildest conclusions...

:lol:

I think it has a lot to do with the fact the game has not had much traction and the gameplay videos are unremarkable. When you start hearing about delays and cuts it is easy to assume the worst.

IIRC it's been in development for a long time and has had a spotty development record- IG Aus were working on it prior to the release (and well prior) of the first Bioshock, it got suspended/ backburnered/ reimagined while they did Bioshock 1&2, then got reanimated once the Firaxis project got cancelled in favour of... CivRev, I think. So it's potentially already been active in one form or another for something like 5+ years even if it has not been in full development for all that time. At some point someone is just going to decide to push release, or cut their losses. Delaying allows burying the writedown in a nice high turnover quarter when few Questions Will Be Asked; and many of the senior IG Aus people have already gone which suggests a fair amount of unhappiness either in the ranks, or among management with the ranks.

I don't think the negativity is unwarranted, but there are ways it could still work out OK and the delay could be a good thing. If they were to rebrand or parabrand to Bioshock it could be released after Infinite, they could rework some of the more unnecessary changes to try and get a bit more traction from the traditional fans and more interest from newcomers. X-COM: Futuristic Warfare, or BioshoX-COM, maybe.

[edit: decided that sounded a bit too definite at the beginning as I don't think anyone at 2k/ IG ever confirmed that directly]

Edited by Zoraptor

xcom could have been relaunched as a competitor to starcraft, but with a focus on turn based, chess-like strategy as opposed to quick clicks. have the singleplayer follow up in tradition x-com style, but build a solid turn based competitive multiplayer into it as well. it probably would have gotten a lot of sales from younger players curious about the starcraft comparisons, while pleasing old-timers by staying to its strategy roots.

oh well

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

thanks for the update, just had to change 3 passwords because of that breach. not too shabby, now to check my cc statement...

edit: annnnd we're clear. phew. so long as steam servers don't start getting shut down or other awful stuff...

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

thanks for the update, just had to change 3 passwords because of that breach. not too shabby, now to check my cc statement...

edit: annnnd we're clear. phew. so long as steam servers don't start getting shut down or other awful stuff...

Can't login via the client, myself.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

And here I thought they just had a vbulletin exploit on the forum. :/

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

if this gets worse, and skyrim does not become available to me at the promised time... i will be unhappy :(

And here I thought they just had a vbulletin exploit on the forum. :/

Yeah, which allowed the guys to get into the good stuff. I'm having major flashbacks from a couple of months ago, doesn't look like anything was learned...

(finally got in)

Edited by Nepenthe

...and people tease me because I created separate logins/passwords for each of DA, ME2, Dead Space and Warhammer Online way back (ok, it was actually for different reasons, but I'll not turn down the fringe benefit of added security) :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well those people are stupid. I do need to change my password generation scheme though, ugh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

...and people tease me because I created separate logins/passwords for each of DA, ME2, Dead Space and Warhammer Online way back (ok, it was actually for different reasons, but I'll not turn down the fringe benefit of added security) :(

Just means you'll have four passwords to change instead of one if (when) EA's system gets penetrated. Will now start teasing you. :)

Just means you'll have four passwords to change instead of one if (when) EA's system gets penetrated. Will now start teasing you. :)

They would sort of have to guess four user names too and make the connection first, wouldn't they?

I.e. I couldn't care less if I lost my EA logins, as I don't really use them anymore, but it would be a hassle if they could cross reference the info with other logins with other companies.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They would sort of have to guess four user names too and make the connection first, wouldn't they?

I.e. I couldn't care less if I lost my EA logins, as I don't really use them anymore, but it would be a hassle if they could cross reference the info with other logins with other companies.

Not sure I follow you. The assumption is that the username and password (and e-mail) are linked in the db, so they'd have four different names and passwords for you. Not sure how it makes life harder for anyone than you... Are you using the same passwords on other sites, is that the point? Or four separate identities that you use nowhere else?

For the record, this is genuine interest, I' d like to understand if there's an advantage from this approach, but I'm still not getting it if there is. The way I (still) see it is that having a minimal amount of information per singular database (in this case the EA/Origin one) is the safer option... :/