Witcher 2

A few people on the GoG forums are talking about it being hard.

General consensus on combat tends to be hit and run.

Roll. Roll. Some more ROLLIIIING.

?

And I thoguht I'd tried the Igni sign on the planks... guess I'll go back and have a look

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Btw. am I the only one who finds the game to be pretty hard? I am playing on normal and I've died like a million times already.

Did the last years of game releases made me a whimp?

I didn't. Only twice died till now. Though, the combat system is really my style.

?

Damn you, flashbacks from that 16 hour long Tribes session to that song!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Dear god people are defensive over their hardware choices, all I did was type on Guru3D forums that I'm thinking of jumping ship to a less combustible vessel and suddenly I've got some kind of ATI bulldog grappled to my man bits :)

Edited by WDeranged

Dear god people are defensive over their hardware choices, all I did was type on Guru3D forums that I'm thinking of jumping ship to a less combustible vessel and suddenly I've got some kind of ATI bulldog grappled to my man bits :)

That's why I don't post on the internet.

I downloaded and installed this morning but didn't get a chance to play yet so now I'm sitting at work waiting (not so) patiently to go home.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Finished the prologue now and entered chapter 1. Was fun so far, but 100% linear- hope the world will open up now. I think until now I played approx 4 or 5 hours.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Slowest bloody installer of all time. It has seriously been an hour.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Calax: I used Aard on the planks, and had to backtrack to find them. When you get close there'll be a brief "look here, important thing to notice" cutscene.

Finished the prologue last night.

First impressions are generally very positive, despite my gripes at the end. Combat is challenging, reminds me rather of Batman:AA on hard where I'd spend half my time doing dive rolls until I'd managed to whittle the mobs down a bit. It got easier once I worked out that I could dive roll past the basic mooks and backstab them for basically OSK but if you get surrounded you're dead, quick. Did the obligatory Dark Messiah and Aarded some unfortunates off a convenient cliff but couldn't propel people onto the convenient iron maidens and racks of spikes that were lying around. It's still capital B Beautiful, wonderfully detailed and the dialogue is (despite some Mass Effect "I didn't want to say that possibilities") fine to very good. No bugs, no crashes.

There's at least one other Easter Egg as well as the Altair one (Prison Break, of all things).

If I have one complaint it is... well, I have three really.

QTEs. Hatehatehatehate. Does anyone like them?

It's gone very console on the interface. I can't say I really like the changes

The third one is even more subjective: a feeling that it was designed by committee, a vague feeling that they sat down and decided to bolt together aspects of games they liked and which they thought epitomised the gameplay systems they were aiming for. Unfortunately I tended towards going "Ah, this bits from Batman, this bits from Thief, this bits from DMoMM" rather than appreciating it. Hopefully won't make a difference in the long term and I'll escape the desire to be jumped straight into Thief for my blackjacking guards fix.

It's auto-detecting me for low. Is it really that demanding? Everything else detects me as medium or high.

I know it's an old system, but I didn't expect that they'd be going for more demanding than everyone else in the past year.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The first thing I did before starting the game was to disable QTEs

@Tale: It auto detected me as low, but I customized my own settings. Maybe you could try different settings.

Edited by Labadal

Finished the prologue just now, Im kind of blown away by the production values of this game. The visual quality is just astounding, best graphics Ive seen I think. This is some serious AAA ****, not the euro-rpg I was expecting :)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Hm, in a way I wish I had gotten the physical copy.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In Chapter 1 now and the forest is killing my frame rate back down. :) Would be awesome to play this thing at a proper rig.

QTEs have been simple and not really that bad so far, I'm trying it with "Difficult QTEs" on for now. Just depends on the frequency and if they ever get needlessly complicated. At least theres an option to turn off. I actually like the fact that they throw in all these various gameplay types in the first 5 hours - dragon, stealth escape, etc - so far it's a very guided and 'cinematic' experience but it's done so very well.

Interface is fine to me. The main GUI is almost identical to TW1, then theres the Ctrl slowmotion radial which works fine - then the full screen Inv/etc menus are just OK, just as TW1 was. Only main problem is the inventory screen obviously should have allowed much larger lists with all the info at once, but hell, it's not much worse than the original Tiny Icon Bonanza.

Anyway, if you haven't bought it yet, buy it now. You won't see a better RPG release in 2011.

Anyway, if you haven't bought it yet, buy it now. You won't see a better RPG release in 2011.

Or don't if you have older rig. I saw my friend play with similar system that I use and it was barely playable. We tested the game at work on our very powerful rigs and it was like a whole new experience. Looks great but it definately need a lot of juice. I'll wait untill I upgrade my rig... I said I'd wait till Ivy Bridge, but not sure if I have will to wait at least 6 more months.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Well Bulldozer is next month.

This game is making me itchy for a 2GB graphics card but with the HD7xxx series tentatively dated for Q3 I don't want to make the jump yet. Gotta say it's the first game that's really shown the shortcomings of 1GB frame buffer on 2560x1440, but admittedly before this the most graphically intensive games I've played were NV, ME2, DA and er, WoW - so nothing remotely high-end.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Calax: I used Aard on the planks, and had to backtrack to find them. When you get close there'll be a brief "look here, important thing to notice" cutscene.

Yeah, but you gotta backtrack FAAR.

Btw, does the prologue change exactly what happens depending on your answers to the very first set of options?

Having heaps of fun just running around in Chapter 1 town. Still terrible FPS though, which means the arm wrestling minigame is really hard for me - you lose the bar once and you can't get it back with the laggy mouse.

Encountered one possible bug where Geralt wakes up with a bad hangover and

needs to find his gear again

- turns out you need to talk to the fisherman to start the chain of events, but after I failed the initial

intimidate & bribe offer

I couldn't try again, or talk to anyone else.

Generally feels like a bigger and better TW1 in almost every aspect - it's the same game but beefed up and polished a lot more. Dialogue is verbose, appropriately written and funny; combat is the same twitchy swordtwirling but more varied and thoughtful. So far though it does appear a lot more linear - there is C&C but the experience as a whole is driven through cutscenes and triggered episodes. I don't mind, since they've designed it very well. It feels like wandering around looking up various scenes that the devs have planted throughout the game.

I can't armwrestle very well either with 30fps+, the mechanic feels laggy regardless. Either it's like that for everyone or it's just my poor dexterity. I probably won't do it ever again anyway so moot point.

Anyway, found that normal was much too hard for me, nearing the end of the prologue I got stuck for about 20 minutes on a certain populous melee (minor complaint: hulking guys in full plate run as fast as unarmoured people including Geralt) and turned it down. Doubt I'll bother going back up.

Only real complaint so far is that the stealth gameplay feels clunky. Hard to get the stun option to come up, and the general movement against obstacles is iffy. Just as well it's optional.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm trying to dig up a savegame from Witcher one with the Shani-neutral-adda saved choices in particular.

I'm trying to dig up a savegame from Witcher one with the Shani-neutral-adda saved choices in particular.

A few people on the GOG forums were on about starting an archive of saves with various allegiances, dunno if it's been started up yet.

i was planning on waiting a while for this one but it sounds like its worth getting early. i'll probably get it from gog this weekend

how is this game going to look with a 9800gt and 6 gigs of RAM?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.