RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Was this already posted?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/v...ditors-Note-DIY

"Open Letter" to Obsidian

Via WUE on Gamebanshee

Edit: Oh my god the comments:

Wow Russ is a really good writer.

Not only did he manage to critique Obsidian in a very well thought out way, but he made it interesting and unique.

Yes, of course. The highpoint of intelligent modern writing is the non-phrase "**** you".

There aren't enough facepalms in the world.

I mean I understand the sentiment. But there is no reason to do it in such a way nor is it entirly accurat.

Edited by C2B

The comment about it reading like an emorage on a MMOG forum sounds pretty apt. Not been keeping up with NV stuff, but what's going on ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Iamend my earlier statement, the apocalypse in general will be blamed on Bioware, but Obsidian will get called out for the locusts.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I still don't see how people can get on the Obsidian hatewagon over bugs. New Vegas wasn't any more less bug filled than pretty much every other game on the PC. This is a problem of our platform, not this singular developer. Dragon Age 2 had quests that completed for no one, not simply a few. Bethesda doesn't seem to have patched any of the Fallout 3 DLC ever.

And who here never had The Witcher 2 crash on them?

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

my response to article:

move along. nothing to see. whiny baby on the loose.

FNV is one of the best games to be released in years. publicly condemning the developer in such an immature way because you wish it was 100% stable is beyond pathetic.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I still don't see how people can get on the Obsidian hatewagon over bugs. New Vegas wasn't any more less bug filled than pretty much every other game on the PC. This is a problem of our platform, not this singular developer. Dragon Age 2 had quests that completed for no one, not simply a few. Bethesda doesn't seem to have patched any of the Fallout 3 DLC ever.

New Vegas didn't crash just on PC, though. It crashed... and crashed... and crashed on the PS3, at least. :bat:

Enough for me to not have done a second playthrough of it, no matter how much fun I found it to be the first time around.

i had about 20 crashes spread out over nearly 200 hours. on pc. was it really that much buggier on ps3? or is it more that console-only gamers are not used to crashes and so are having fits?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Was this already posted?

Via WUE on Gamebanshee

Edit: Oh my god the comments:

Wow Russ is a really good writer.

Not only did he manage to critique Obsidian in a very well thought out way, but he made it interesting and unique.

Yes, of course. The highpoint of intelligent modern writing is the non-phrase "**** you".

There aren't enough facepalms in the world.

I mean I understand the sentiment. But there is no reason to do it in such a way nor is it entirly accurat.

It's all in the marketing and brand reputation. The best comparison is between Bethesda and Obsidian due to the Fallout games, although Bioware could enter the discussion as well.

Both Bethesda and Obsidian release fairly buggy games but, in the case of Fallout 3 and New Vegas they each released games that exhibited roughly the same amount of bugs and the same actual bugs. Yet one is considered a triple A developer that releases great, if buggy, games while the other one is considered to release good games that are compromised by bugs. See the difference in public perception?

Also, a moment should be taken to consider the amount of content and complexity of the game systems in a traditional RPG, and the content in most bug free action games released today. The difference is huge and means a lot more investment in QA would be necessary to achieve the same sort of polish that a Gears of War or an Uncharted show.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It crashed... and crashed... and crashed on the PS3, at least. :bat:

I've never played an Assassin's Creed game on the PS3 that didn't freeze my system up at least once. It's sort of a tradition for me. I'd hate to see it go. And then there's that Dead Space 2 problem I had that caused me to have to delete all the data I had for the game.

It was ok at first, but then the "letter" went downhill.

I don't mind if gaming press calls out obsidian when it comes to bugs, but they should do the same for every other company?

Edited by Labadal

i had about 20 crashes spread out over nearly 200 hours. on pc. was it really that much buggier on ps3? or is it more that console-only gamers are not used to crashes and so are having fits?

I averaged a crash an hour.

I'm not a console-only gamer, so I can't comment. All I know is that when you have unified hardware, you start running out of the excuses for the crashes real fast.

I'm not a console-only gamer, so I can't comment. All I know is that when you have unified hardware, you start running out of the excuses for the crashes real fast.

The more crash prone PS3 issues are releated to the engine and already in Fallout 3. I heard once it was related to Bethesda-Gamebryos Havok impletation.

Was this already posted?

Via WUE on Gamebanshee

What the hell I am reading there.

/Edit: Wait, is that... thing... only spawned because a patch for a dlc made him cry?

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Sometimes I wonder if I'm really just that lucky that games don't crash for me. I've played Fallout: New Vegas for about 90 hours and I've encountered 3 crashes ( + few that were caused by my HDD). I don't remember KoTor 2 being all that buggy, nor NWN 2. I encountered like 5 different bugs while I played through Alpha Protocol twice and none of those bugs really bothered me that much.

And maybe I'm just damn unlucky when it comes to BioWare and Bethesda games. I got stuck so bad in Mass Effect 2 after 5 minutes of playing I had to start from the beginning. I managed to walk on platforms I wasn't supposed to. Dragon Age 2 crashed at least few times for me during my one play through, I had quests that were impossible to finish. Yet, I never see anyone writing an editorial about the bugs in BioWare's games. Why is that?

Bethesda, let's see...My cousin had to restart his Morrowind game after about 100 hours spent on his char, because some relevant charachter to the plot had vanished completely. Oblivion crashed multiple times for me as did Fallout 3. Not to mention all the other bugs I encountered while playing those games. Yet, I hardly ever see anyone writing an editorial about the bugs in Bethesda's games. Why is that?

And most of all, why would the bug infested engine (GameBryo) suddenly turn into a perfect thing of beauty in the hands of a team that has never worked on it when the developers that have worked on it for years can't fix it.

It's so damn cool and easy to throw **** at the indie developer and chicken out of throwing that same **** towards the gaming houses owned by big publishers.

I would post that there, but I can't be bothered to register to a random site.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Sorry if this has been posted already somewhere, but just saw this on Steam:

PC Gamer with some free Portal 2 (and Bulletstorm) goodness:

Portal 2 Soundtrack Volume One

Bulletstorm Soundtrack

Also in Portal 2 news: Valve does DLC

The new DLC pack, entitled DLC #1, will be released this summer for the incredible price of free! The pack will include new test chambers, leaderboards, and challenge modes for both single and multiplayer.

More test chambers are always a good thing.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

The more crash prone PS3 issues are releated to the engine and already in Fallout 3. I heard once it was related to Bethesda-Gamebryos Havok impletation.

I still had about 20 times more crashed with FONV. But yes, I'm pointing my finger firmly in the direction of Gamebryo in this case. A pity.

Both Bethesda and Obsidian release fairly buggy games but, in the case of Fallout 3 and New Vegas they each released games that exhibited roughly the same amount of bugs and the same actual bugs.

I seriously doubt that.

And even if the number of bugs is similar the severity is not.

I don't ever remember bethesda softworks games losing savegames,

in fact the most common bug that I do remember from Fallout3 was crash on quit.

People have started to ask if a game is "obsidian-buggy" for a reason.

FNV savegames haven't been lost. If I remember correct, they just have been on the wrong place or steam couldn't read them. In any case, all saves have been still available after the problem was fixed.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I don't believe I've ever seen that said.

Both Bethesda and Obsidian release fairly buggy games but, in the case of Fallout 3 and New Vegas they each released games that exhibited roughly the same amount of bugs and the same actual bugs.

I seriously doubt that.

And even if the number of bugs is similar the severity is not.

I don't ever remember bethesda softworks games losing savegames,

in fact the most common bug that I do remember from Fallout3 was crash on quit.

Yes, FO3 also had bugs that made you lose your savegames. Yes, FO3 had tons of bugs. Yes, its roughly the same amount.

I'm one of those that had less bugs by a fair amount in NV compared to FO3. Yes, I exist. Yes, there are other people like me too. Deal with it.

Edited by C2B

So you are saying that after bethesda spend 2 years patching Fallout 3 in your experience obsidian didn't introduce nearly so many bugs while working with the same engine?

Glorious achievement indeed.

after bethesda spend 2 years patching Fallout 3

Bethesda patched Fallout 3?

Winterized Power Armor and General Chase's overcoat disagree.