HBO's Game of Thrones

MechanicalLemon

Anyone else completely love the
The fact that it's different for each episode is pretty cool. Can't wait to see the Eyrie.

I thought it was a clever way of establishing the lay of the land, I didn't have much trouble keeping track of the locations mentioned simply because of that, very slick. :)

It's bloody Yorkshire... I swear! AH! Glorious bloody Yorkshire!!!!

According to the Internet Movie Database:

Atlas Corporation Studios, Ouarzazate, Morocco

Ballymoney, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK

Belfast, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK

Carncastle, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK

Castle Ward, Strangford, County Down, Northern Ireland, UK

Doune Castle, Doune, Stirling, Scotland, UK

Harland and Wolff Paint Hall, Titanic-Quarter, Belfast, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK

Magheramorne Quarry, Larne, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK

Marrakech, Morocco

Mdina, Malta

Ouarzazate, Morocco

Shane's Castle, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK

Tollymore Forest Park, Bryansford, County Down, Northern Ireland, UK

Valletta, Malta

Anyone else completely love the
The fact that it's different for each episode is pretty cool. Can't wait to see the Eyrie.

I thought it was a clever way of establishing the lay of the land, I didn't have much trouble keeping track of the locations mentioned simply because of that, very slick. :thumbsup:

Indeed. I'm also surprised at the little details they've added. For those familiar with the books:

-At :00 the metal band shows a dragon and a volcano, which depicts the Doom of Valyria

-At :04 it shows the Targaryens conquering Westeros

-At :44 you can see the three-headed dragon fighting off a wolf, a stag and a lion. Basically shows the Stark/Baratheon/Lannister rebellion against House Targaryen

-At 1:24 can't really tell...looks like House Baratheon is crowned king?

Is there any online videosite where someone from a country without HBO can watch this legally?

+1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Doubtful, the big licensing bucks need to be made.

Starts in Finland on paytv in a couple of weeks, thinking of picking up a 6-month order for this, Wimbledon and some Serie A.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I definitely got a "been there" vibe, ha...Bean there.

Its just some of the lingo, its grim in the north, the fact they don't seem to like the south much etc... etc... despite the fact it seems they've got Yorkshire accents etc...

Other than that, excellent opening. It just had this gritty sick vibe to it, that showed self indulgence, and powerlust. At the side of other qualities.

I have a feel it'll be great, but I shall certainly be reading the books.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Torrent it now and buy the dvd box when it comes out?

Only way to deal with it, honestly.

According to the Internet Movie Database:

Atlas Corporation Studios, Ouarzazate, Morocco

Ballymoney, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK

Belfast, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK

Carncastle, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK

Castle Ward, Strangford, County Down, Northern Ireland, UK

Doune Castle, Doune, Stirling, Scotland, UK

Harland and Wolff Paint Hall, Titanic-Quarter, Belfast, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK

Magheramorne Quarry, Larne, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK

Marrakech, Morocco

Mdina, Malta

Ouarzazate, Morocco

Shane's Castle, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK

Tollymore Forest Park, Bryansford, County Down, Northern Ireland, UK

Valletta, Malta

I'm not on about the location, it the accents and stuff they're saying... I expect to hear the term "bloody southern fairy's"

Having thought about it today, the basic point is that there aren't really any mainstream fantasy series. Sci-Fi? Yup. Fantasy Nawww.

Yet this one is really good, my wife is utterly indifferent about fantasy as a genre but liked this.

Am looking forward to an episode with some butt-kicking swordplay and (dare I dream?) some fighting in tunnelz.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Having thought about it today, the basic point is that there aren't really any mainstream fantasy series. Sci-Fi? Yup. Fantasy Nawww.

Yet this one is really good, my wife is utterly indifferent about fantasy as a genre but liked this.

Am looking forward to an episode with some butt-kicking swordplay and (dare I dream?) some fighting in tunnelz.

Buffy and Angel were fantasy.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I honestly can't begin to articulate my response to this.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Strike one, Wals.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I guess no one else found the first episode boring?

There was almost no fantasy elements to catch attention and it mostly consisted of the introduction to the (typically pop-culture-distorted) characters and politics.

There was almost no fantasy elements to catch attention and it mostly consisted of the introduction to the (typically pop-culture-distorted) characters and politics.

Welcome to Game of Thrones. Love it or hate it.

Winter won't be coming for a very long time.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I was too busy spitting tea and laughing. Joss Wheedon.... FFS?

As for the criticism, I understand, but the low-fantasy vibe is good and more likely to draw in new fans. People with names made up of consonents and apostrophes, silly spells, haircuts and CGI monstarz are lame.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Problem is it's fairly consistent with the book. Which is both good and bad. Bad in that it has pacing designed for a book not TV. As far as fantasy elements, it's pretty much low fantasy and the supernatural plot will be in the background for a long time.

would you prefer the typical fantasy approach?

"zomg you the Chosen One!"

"no wai! i'm just a farmer/street urchin/irrelevant peasant!"

"is troofs! you are destined to defeat Epic Big Bad Guy!"

"okay now all of a sudden i have awesome fighting/magic skills. i'm ready for my destiny!"

:huh:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!