Dragon Age 2

Gorth

how in the world did KOTOR make it into that list when KOTOR2 didn't? :thumbsup: also, what happened to NWN2?

KOTOR2 and NWN2 aren't Bioware games.

Also, BG2 is better that BG1, easily.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

This game again... kewl.

"BG > BG2 > HotU > KOTOR > ME2 > SoU > DA:O > ME > JE > NWN > DA2"

NWN: TP > BG2 > DA2 (so far) > ME1 > JE > DA1 > ME2 > BG1 >HOTU > NWN: OC > SOU > KOTOR

(some ratings cna change day to day on whims) but KOTOR and SOu will always be at the bottom with NWN on top.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"There is a lovely bug where the game gives up letting you access the menu's. The GUI becomes unresponsive, and even the keystrokes won't help you. Thankfully you can still quick save and restart the program. *grumbles*"

I love 360. If you can get past RROD, bugs are very minimal.

Consoles seemed to be the focus for the release, I intend to pick it up on 360 at some point, but the PC version has this bug, and my g/f has witnessed a nasty bug where she got caught in the collision mesh, thankfully she is an obsessive when its comes to saving.

DA:O must have done really well on console, I know this much though... I'm prefering DA 2 to DA:O.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

"There is a lovely bug where the game gives up letting you access the menu's. The GUI becomes unresponsive, and even the keystrokes won't help you. Thankfully you can still quick save and restart the program. *grumbles*"

I love 360. If you can get past RROD, bugs are very minimal.

Consoles seemed to be the focus for the release, I intend to pick it up on 360 at some point, but the PC version has this bug, and my g/f has witnessed a nasty bug where she got caught in the collision mesh, thankfully she is an obsessive when its comes to saving.

DA:O must have done really well on console, I know this much though... I'm prefering DA 2 to DA:O.

Console DA2 plays just like DA:O, except you press the A button multiple times per second.

There's no auto-attack.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

After scanning the thread briefly, it looks like you guys are still going on with your circle jerk. Hence, my thoughts will be brief:

I have no completed my first playthrough of the game (37h17min for those of you counting). My initial impressions are that it is a very good game, much better than DAO and much more RPG than ME(2).

I'm still not sure just how impressive the C&C is - certainly based on one playthrough it's considerable, more so than in any Bioware game I have played before, but it could just be brilliant railroading on their part. Hat's off to them, no matter which it was.

The combat is fun, but the multiclass combo system seems like a pain to set up. The major thing I would mark points down for the game would be the area recycling (and, I can't help but feel that the whole time jump storyline is an excuse to recycle major areas 3-4 times, as well).

I can't remember the last time a game has managed to surprise or even shock me. This game managed to do it multiple times.

I can't bring myself to give this game a 10 due to the abovementioned area recycling (and occasional tunnel running that borders on tedious, never quite reaching into it unlike DAO did). 9/10.

Now back to your mathematical X > * equations...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I can't bring myself to give this game a 10 due to the abovementioned area recycling (and occasional tunnel running that borders on tedious, never quite reaching into it unlike DAO did). 9/10.

hmmm, what you just did is called everyone in this thread liars :thumbsup: I see contradictory points in your post

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

hmmm, what you just did is called everyone in this thread liars :thumbsup: I see contradictory points in your post

No, I just read the thread and the two people who apparently were playing the game seemed to agree with me. :p

Obviously it is just my subjective opinion, any name-calling I will result to will be directed solely at you. And maybe some moderators, who appear to be enforcing a culture that is against the written CoC of the forum. :x

Somebody asked me about the level of polish, I ran into 1 definite in-game bug, 1 possible loot drop bug (I could have just missed it) and had 1 crash during the ~40 hours (I replayed a section - and no, it wasn't a completionist run).

The scripting bugs of Origins are well documented, and I had about bihourly crashes with it (mostly related to the automatic screen capping system bugging somehow, apparently), just for comparison.

Thank God for Nepenthe. He's such a hero!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

just for the record; when I say "polish" I mean the overall work put into making the game, not just coding. and recycled areas are definitely the mark of an unpolished product.

but saying that it's less of a tunnel-fighting game than DA:O... I can't believe you're serious. so far all I've heard was, "this game is one big tunnel that runs straight and has encounters every five steps"

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Yeah, I wasn't really planning on visiting these forums any further, nor had I any illusions that I could get an alternative mode of thinking into your thick skulls (ironic, considering the subject matter of the game).

/exit

Yeah, I wasn't really planning on visiting these forums any further, nor had I any illusions that I could get an alternative mode of thinking into your thick skulls (ironic, considering the subject matter of the game).

/exit

Now now, no need to be a drama queen. :thumbsup:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If you can't look at a thread where there are people who actively like the game, people on the fence, people who've played it and don't like it, then people like me who are still curious about it despite hating what they're doing with marketing / stealth securom / etc, then think it's a circle-jerk of negativity, uh, I'm not sure who's the blind and narrow-minded?

I'm still not sure just how impressive the C&C is

I am hearing bits and pieces of how C&C might be beetter in DA2, but I guess we won't be sure until most people finish the game.... though you finished it, right?

"so far all I've heard was, "this game is one big tunnel that runs straight and has encounters every five steps"

You heard wrong.

There's a lot of combat, and dungeons are mostly linear (with plenty of side paths for bonus looot/encounters). Though the argument that it has 'encounters every 5 steps' is pretty much true for every RPg in existence.I do find it inetresting the people who have actually seen the game in action seem to be at worst okayish with the graphics if not outright loving them.

Anyways, less psoitve for me. Here's my DA2 Negatives:

1. Lack of non combat skillz.

2. Repeating caves (this is at its worst when you, say, happen to be sent to two different caves that happene to be the same one just with different entrances/cutoffs,l0l). Probably BIO's biggest sin.

3. No auto attack.

4. UNABLE TO PLAY DWARVES!!

5. Too many encounters (at least half if not more) rely on mid battle spawns/ambushes thoguh not really an ambush when you know it's coming. Heh. :p

Edited by Volourn

Anyways, less psoitve for me. Here's my DA2 Negatives:

2. Repeating caves (this is at its worst when you, say, happen to be sent to two different caves that happene to be the same one just with different entrances/cutoffs,l0l). Probably BIO's biggest sin.

My biggest issue with the game so far, even more so than having to mash the A button to attack. Bio really needs to hire an extra map designer or two because it is amazing how many caves in and near Kirkwall look identical to each other. I had thought they learned their lesson in ME 2.

BG > BG2 > HotU > KOTOR > ME2 > SoU > DA:O > ME > JE > NWN > DA2

EDIT: forgot DA:O. R00fles!

This boggles my mind. Then again, I never liked BG and didn't finished it.

If it weren't for the ubiquitous re-use of maps, I'd say it's BioWare's best game.

I'm still not sure just how impressive the C&C is

I am hearing bits and pieces of how C&C might be beetter in DA2, but I guess we won't be sure until most people finish the game.... though you finished it, right?

I guess you have to play more than once if you want to make different choices and see different consequences?

It has more C&C than any BioWare game unless you want to count ME 1 and ME 2 as a single game. Even then, the consequences are more interesting than what you see in ME 2.

BioWare games aren't exactly known for their reactivity. Wouldn't it be better to contrast it to the Fallout games, the Witcher, or Alpha Protocol?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I see lots of talking about choices and consequences. This made me think about the whole C&C paradigm.

For me, the tactical experience and character management is choices and consequences - I make choice 'A' about classes, weapons, skills and equipment and the consequence is that part 'B' of the game plays differently.

Obviously, this is different from plotting and character interaction, which is also an important part of a CRPG but for some it's the most important thing. Fair enough. It just seems to me that one is being pared down at the expense of the other. In terms of content, C&C is a often a cut-scene with regards to plot. Characters / skills / abilities / loot is real content... maybe that's part of the issue.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Finished the game. A few additional thoughts.

Didn't like the ending that much. Maybe it feels different if I choose different options. Quests in Act 2 and 3 were probably the best stuff, storywise.

I guess it's a rush job, when you have to recycle the end boss. :p Well, ok, the end battles had new enemies too, but that was kinda cheesy.

Lots of foreshadowing of the next DA game... or whatever the next installment in the setting is going to be.

"For me, the tactical experience and character management is choices and consequences - I make choice 'A' about classes, weapons, skills and equipment and the consequence is that part 'B' of the game plays differently. "

True, thisn is different type of C&C and it's the kind you look for as far as combat goes. DA2 is reasonably strong here too. Defiitely deeper than many BIO games as well. Fighters, rogues, andn mages all have to approach battle differently. And, there can be various apporaches for each class. One thing for sure mages really need to avoid being targeted as much as possible.

ME2 > BG/2 > KOTOR 2 > DA:O > DA:2 > ME > HotU > KOTOR > NWN > JE

i know, i know it's weird seeing me place ME2 over baldurs gate/2. The games don't deserve to be compared though since ME2 is an action game and BG is an rpg, but ME2 is more fun.

if we're talking better games "FOR THEIR TIME", then this list has BG/2 switched with ME2.

I really liked ME2...

i havent finished DA2 yet either though, i realized i missed Isabela and had to restart. I'm playing as a dagger rogue now (which makes isabela redundant, oh well I'll just make her an archer (mods).

the game is more fun as a rogue than a warrior.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"fun" shouldn't be the decisive factor, it doesn't make one game better then the other

Walsingham said:

well, there are different kinds of fun, it's very subjective (not to mention I personally didn't find ME2 fun in any way). games are evaluated based on other things, too. and those other things have more weight than simple fun

Walsingham said:

"fun" shouldn't be the decisive factor, it doesn't make one game better then the other

Oh hell it should be. There's no way in heck I want to play a game that's not fun. The more fun the more enjoyment I'm going to have with it. If it's not fun...then I'm probably going to stop playing after an hour or less...the less being once I figure it's not fun.