Dragon Age 2

Gorth

Awakening wasn't about the quests, it was about Bio telling a story :o I think DA2 had been conceived as Awakening Expanded from the very beginning. with the small amount of time to develop it, and all. the only thing that is really confusing to me is that "best Choice & Consequence in CRPG history" crap in various reviews. are the quests really that big? they define the rest of the game? judging by the LPs - no, the don't...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Awakening wasn't about the quests, it was about Bio telling a story :o I think DA2 had been conceived as Awakening Expanded from the very beginning. with the small amount of time to develop it, and all. the only thing that is really confusing to me is that "best Choice & Consequence in CRPG history" crap in various reviews. are the quests really that big? they define the rest of the game? judging by the LPs - no, the don't...

It does seem like that to me, actually. That it has way better choice & consequence stuff than any previous game. Of course, it's really hard to tell until you've played it through at least twice to try all the other options, and I've yet to complete it once.

Like I said in the previous thread, it's slow to start. You won't see any serious C&C stuff until you're 15+ hours in (assuming you do all sidequests).

It does seem like that to me, actually. That it has way better choice & consequence stuff than any previous game. Of course, it's really hard to tell until you've played it through at least twice to try all the other options, and I've yet to complete it once.

The choics seem to be a lot worse though. Random and they don't matter.

That said, metacritic IS a good way for people with real concerns to get themselves heard, because investors do pay attention to it (though mostly to the 'real' / professional score aggregate).

Metacritic scores play a huge part in game biz nowadays. Basically only way to avoid investor backlash is to sell millions of copies, but usually outside party / casual games (including dance games) scores and sales correlate rather accurately. In the case of Bioware, they still have good reputation (at least before Dragon Age 2 ), so it's unlikely that initial Dragon Age 2 sales suffer significantly but later sales (before price reduction and/or ultimate edition with all the DLCs) might take hit and next sequel could have serious problems. Playstation brand Killzone is good example of this.

I've seen from various boards that Bioware chose again to recycle dungeons and locations. In Neogaf board someone said that he got same dungeon for three separete quests that should have been in three different areas. This is incorrect way to recycle content - The correct way is to give players a reason to return to locations (that took a lot of manhours to build) by updating questhubs, encounter nodes, scripting ect ect. It's strange that Bioware already learnt this lesson going from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2, but I guess Dragon Age team "powers that be" didn't get the memo from the Mass Effect team.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Mike Laidlaw was the lead designer on Bioware's only canned project JE2... You heard it here first. The man is a tool.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

So this game's terrible or something ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Also, Vince likes it. So conflicted :o

Read exactly what vince is praising about it. This is the common mistake everyone makes about him. He is NOT saying OMG 10000000/10!!! GOTY!!! ;)

And that said, having followed the LP so far, kind of glad I passed on this....

PLEASE do no mess up my beloved Mass Effect 3. Please god.

"This game is so bad that its metacritic score is low 80s (which is like a D if you're a Big Studio's Latest Amazing Release), and its customer reviews give it 30s. lmao. Give this stinker a wide birth."

Do you really base your opinion on what others think? If so, you better start kissing NWN's butt b/c the masses and reveiwers loved it.

'Volo's getting old"

That is true. 5 years from the big 4-0, and about 10 years of that dealing with the evil internet. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"This game is so bad that its metacritic score is low 80s (which is like a D if you're a Big Studio's Latest Amazing Release), and its customer reviews give it 30s. lmao. Give this stinker a wide birth."

Do you really base your opinion on what others think? If so, you better start kissing NWN's butt b/c the masses and reveiwers loved it.

'Volo's getting old"

That is true. 5 years from the big 4-0, and about 10 years of that dealing with the evil internet. L0L

In response to your comments from the previous DA2 thread.

Seriously mind Volo, saying the DA2 has anything past an IP relationship with DA:O is retarded.

I actually like DA 2 mind... I just think it should be called JE2. *GRUMBLE*

Edited by Tigranes
Consistency

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

That said, metacritic IS a good way for people with real concerns to get themselves heard, because investors do pay attention to it (though mostly to the 'real' / professional score aggregate).

Metacritic scores play a huge part in game biz nowadays. Basically only way to avoid investor backlash is to sell millions of copies, but usually outside party / casual games (including dance games) scores and sales correlate rather accurately. In the case of Bioware, they still have good reputation (at least before Dragon Age 2 ), so it's unlikely that initial Dragon Age 2 sales suffer significantly but later sales (before price reduction and/or ultimate edition with all the DLCs) might take hit and next sequel could have serious problems. Playstation brand Killzone is good example of this.

I've seen from various boards that Bioware chose again to recycle dungeons and locations. In Neogaf board someone said that he got same dungeon for three separete quests that should have been in three different areas. This is incorrect way to recycle content - The correct way is to give players a reason to return to locations (that took a lot of manhours to build) by updating questhubs, encounter nodes, scripting ect ect. It's strange that Bioware already learnt this lesson going from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2, but I guess Dragon Age team "powers that be" didn't get the memo from the Mass Effect team.

Mass Effect 2 was WAAAAAY better then Mass Effect 1.

I'm definately getting ME3...and HOPING THEY DON'T LISTEN TO THE FANS THAT WANT THE OLD INVENTORY AND WANDERING ENDLESS PLANETS THAT ALL LOOK THE SAME IN A VEHICLE THAT BOUNCES ALL ALONG THE HILLS...so that it's as close to ME2, but with a bigger and more epic storyline.

However, despite my hopes for DA2, after seeing what's done with it, ME3 may be the last Bio game I get. It depends on what direction they take after DA2 and the responses to it thus far.

Also, Vince likes it. So conflicted :o

Read exactly what vince is praising about it. This is the common mistake everyone makes about him. He is NOT saying OMG 10000000/10!!! GOTY!!! ;)

And that said, having followed the LP so far, kind of glad I passed on this....

PLEASE do no mess up my beloved Mass Effect 3. Please god.

This...absolutely. At this point it's the only Bio game I think they can count on me buying as a definate...unless I hear that it's REALLY screwed up before getting it (and they'd really have to screw it up).

PLEASE don't screw up ME3!

"In response to your comments from the previous DA2 thread."

Your first response to it in thsi trhead was fine but your second response to the guyc racking that i was old wa snothing but uncalled for trolling. I don't mind that as i find it cute but it's hilarious I get called out for trolling when you attacked me unprovoked. But,t hat's cool. That's the net for you.

"Seriously mind Volo, saying the DA2 has anything past an IP relationship with DA:O is retarded."

Call it retarted all you want, it's the truth. It has nothing to do with quality either. DA2 is the sequel toM DA1. not liking DA2 doesn't change that fact.

"I actually like DA 2 mind... I just think it should be called JE2. *GRUMBLE*"

Nope. For one thing, JE2 has dialogue skills. L0L And, it's combat is 99% action rpg and even allows you to jump. R00fles!

I have to agree with Volo here. Dragon Age 2 is far more of a traditional sequel to DAO than people give it credit for.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

About game: Combat is fun but things that can be done to improve it: 1. Please put auto attack for console version. 2. Less reinforcements please. It works fine but is way over used. 3. Toggle for friendly fire no matter the dififculty level or at least for ahrd + as I have no inetrest in torturing myself for nightmare mode just to have some added 'realism'. Thanks.

Dialogue: 1. I prefer having the words written out like traditional RPGs but the wheel works fine. 2. i love the fact that you can have your companions speak for you during dialogue, it adds a lot. 3. I really miss having dialogue skills 9as well as non combat skills in general).

I have to agree with Volo here. Dragon Age 2 is far more of a traditional sequel to DAO than people give it credit for.

Frankly.... I don't get what all the bad rep is about. Bashing DA2 seems to have become some sort of internet phenomena. Obviously, the game has it's problems, and I'm sure more will pop out when people look at the game files closer. But the difference to DA:O isn't that big, and there's lots of good stuff in the game. Critique is due, but the overall quality isn't bad enough to bash it to the ground. It's definitely a Bioware-quality game (whatever that means to you). If one didn't dislike DA:O, I see no reason not to buy DA2.

Get the f*** out of here. That guy can't be real.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Got to agree with Volo too, it feels like a sequel to me and I can't quite get my head around the scale of backlash, especially as I'm firmly in the anti-streamlining camp, I hate the ****ing word but Dragon Age 2 is not the iconic example of dumbing down that it's being made out to be.

Maybe this is just one of those "idea who's time has come" moments and Dragon Age 2 is the beating boy, all but the most mongoloid gamers are thinking along the same lines, we're tired of being treated like an averaged statistic...maybe I'm just being hopefully deluded.

Either way I'll be playing the game for a good few hours tonight, possibly enjoying myself despite it's obvious flaws.

Edited by Gorth
Language

Get the f*** out of here. That guy can't be real.

No, seriously, criticism is in fact a compliment in BioWorld because it means people have been 'challenged.'

The internet has looked at DA2 and, by and large (certainly compared to Origins) gone.... meh.

sonsofgygax.JPG