Dragon Age 2

Rosbjerg

Also I find it funny how they've made changes to the dialogue wheel to show stances like "suave" after Alpha Protocol came out. It's not like people didn't whine about it already after Mass Effect and still it was identical in Mass Effect 2. Boom Alpha Protocol comes out and look what happened :grin: I wonder if any review will mention this fact that they took some influence from Obsidian this time around...

I remember seeing Bio actually acknowledge this in an interview. Too bad that I have no recollection of when and where.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

demons souls

That's great action RPG combat, no useless jumping and swinging swords for no reason,... At least some parts of it could be introduced into games like DA, even with all the numbers behind combat there.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Ahem...what a bunch of sellouts and whores. Its ok if they want broader appeal because they want to be cash cows, but defacing the name of BG to do it is unforgivable! :)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That's a really stupid thing to say. AD&D 2nd edition rules certainly were not the most complex ruleset out there but it's way ahead of Dragon Age 2 rules. Bioware obviously had to make some changes in order for rules to work in semi-real time environment, but just AD&D oddities like weapon immunities, sequences or the fact that you control 6 person group gives Baldur's Gate 2 a great tactical depth. Not to mention more variable monster selection.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

One of those recent interviews they made mention they've heightened the differences of the classes now which effects the tactics..

Ie: Warriors are to bunch enemies together, Mages are to blast groups of enemies, and Rogues are to take out the powerful single opponents..

Oh yes, and the importance of tactics because they've got "enemies by wave" so you face 10 enemies, but when you kill 7 of them, another 10 enemies will arrive, so you have to worry about tactics of taking out the right ones first...

I am swooning at the amount of "tactics" this means you have to use.. :)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

does anybody take pre-release puffery serious? the current game being released by any developer is always including their bestest writing and gameplay to date. we would feel bad if the developers didn't actually believe that their current release were their bestest.

regarding da2, Gromnir is not bothered in the least by such claims as there will be a playable demo for this game. am seeing how the foolish or naive might be willing to swallow developer promises o' a product sight unseen... but da2 has a playable demo. many o' the biowarian claims regarding gameplay and writing will be tested by legions o' fans (and haters) following the release o' the demo. lofty claims regarding da2 not bother Gromnir at all 'cause there will be a method to challenge those claims previous to purchase.

honestly, which is gonna influence you more:

1) hands-on-gameplay o' the da2 prologue.

2) dozens of developer interviews published in print and on-line media

*shrug*

wait 'til demo.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That's not really difficult to achieve.

BG2 bad guys were always beaten in the same pattern.

that is kinda what tactics is in a crpg... is figuring out the pattern. the difference between bg2 and many other games is that different types o' bad guys required different tactics. fighting illithids were not the same challenge as were fighting dragons or vampires or mages or... whatever. sadly, midway through da:o, Gromnir had a single "tactic" that we utilized in virtual every battle.

keep in mind that bg, the first bg, were not so much different than da:o as far as tactics were concerned. in spite of bg size, there were not much variation in combat challenges. the question is whether or not da2 improves as much over da:o as bg2 improved o'er bg1. even though da2 has the advantages that SHOULD accompany a 3d engine, we suspect that without the massive preexisting d&d ruleset, it will be difficult for the da2 developers to replicate a similar improvement 'tween releases.

of course, we now fully expect vol and two-to-three other posters to claim that they used one single approach to overcome every bg2 battle. our response: good for you, but that weren't the experience o' Gromnir and most other players.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Like hi-level AD&D, BG2 is predicated on spell combos. Some of them are irksome, but there is a great deal of variety. You can cheese your way through some of Bg2, but eventually you hit a WTF tactical challenge that makes you read the manual.

DA2 had that freezing-stuff and storm spell thing going on, rinse and repeat.

sonsofgygax.JPG

you read the manual.

What is this "manual" thing of which you speak?

Is it like the back of a cereal box?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

"D&D 2nd edition rules certainly were not the most complex ruleset out there but it's way ahead of Dragon Age 2 rules."

No. ESPICIALLY the dumbed down IE version of AD&D 2ND Edition.

P.S. Minsc is one of the most overrated characters to be ever be found in game. Disgusting!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"D&D 2nd edition rules certainly were not the most complex ruleset out there but it's way ahead of Dragon Age 2 rules."

No. ESPICIALLY the dumbed down IE version of AD&D 2ND Edition.

P.S. Minsc is one of the most overrated characters to be ever be found in game. Disgusting!

Surely not Boo too!

P.S. Irenicus is one of the most overrated characters to be ever be found in game. Disgusting!

fixed

Vol is kinda right. I wouldn't say that Iranicus is THE most overrated character ever, but as main villain he is pitiful... but still better then utterly horrible Mellisan.

Maybe it would be best for the gaming press to stop talking about Baldur's Gate saga, as there's whole new generation of the (console) gamers who have never even played 'em. For 'em the crpgs started from Oblivion and Mass Effect :p

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

"Vol is kinda right. I wouldn't say that Iranicus is THE most overrated character ever, but as main villain he is pitiful... but still better then utterly horrible Mellisan."

Irenicus isa wesome,a nd one of the best villains ever in gaming. Definitely not overrated. With posts like yorus he is criminally udnerrated.

Melissan, on the other hand, is horrible. Easily thew orst BIO main villain ever - even worse than the medusa from SOU, and that says something.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

In hindsight, Irenicus looks lame because we all know his whole story, and it's a pretty lousy one. But unsolved mysteries are a lot more compelling than ones that we already know the answer to. And, on first playing BG2, the mystery about Irenicus' identity and his motivations is interesting enough that he immediately steals the scene whenever he appears. He's the story hook that keeps you going, and it works pretty well. (Ideally, the story hook should be more player-focused, but with so much about the protagonist either left to player freedom or already defined in BG1, loading the central story mystery into the antagonist is a not-terrible way to go.)

The eventual reveal is, of course, a letdown, but it's well paced-- by the time you know his whole story, you've only got about 10 minutes left in the game anyway.

In hindsight, Irenicus looks lame because we all know his whole story, and it's a pretty lousy one. But unsolved mysteries are a lot more compelling than ones that we already know the answer to. And, on first playing BG2, the mystery about Irenicus' identity and his motivations is interesting enough that he immediately steals the scene whenever he appears. He's the story hook that keeps you going, and it works pretty well. (Ideally, the story hook should be more player-focused, but with so much about the protagonist either left to player freedom or already defined in BG1, loading the central story mystery into the antagonist is a not-terrible way to go.)

The eventual reveal is, of course, a letdown, but it's well paced-- by the time you know his whole story, you've only got about 10 minutes left in the game anyway.

Well I for one did not feel his story was a let down when it was revealed. I actually thought his and Bodhi's backstories were quite good. And once I knew them it made him no less a good antagonist for me. I thought he had enough depth to have understandable (if meglo-maniacal) motivations and I *still* wanted to kick hi a**.

Irenicus is cool because he's basically an unintentional Ghaleon expy with less subterfuge and more evil.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."