RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Maria Caliban

My #1: Pathetic, arrogant, piece of crap, evil, scummy, whinyetc. etc. 'fans' 'customers'. Worst part of the game industry by far. (i include myself in this group too). There are no exception to the fans are douches rule either.

Sorry, but the truth hurts, and that article proves it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

On the topic of 'Blaming gamers for company mishaps', there was one just recently that really irked me and I wish I could think of it. The game didn't sell well, because it sucked, and the devs cried about it. Crysis comes to mind, though they blamed piracy. That irked me too, as a gamer who loves shooters Crysis was competing with Call of Duty at the time and I just wasn't as interested in Crysis. It looked pretty, but beyond that it just didn't hook me.

A/The Dev/s of Hydrophobia also bashed the poor reviews because gamers/reviewers weren't 'playing it right'. To an extent I agree, as I enjoyed it. The game is a bit of a glorified tech demo though. I can be easily amused I suppose, as I would literally spend up to 20 minutes just opening doors to gaze at the water realisticly flow from one room to the other. Hey, it was more exciting than it sounds! :p

Hey - just saw this and thought I should share..

A free battlefield game is coming, made by the same guys and everything. Look like a rough version of Battlefield Bad Company 2.

I don't usually play multiplayer fps, but I received a beta key and figured I'd try it. Last one I got was for the PS3 version of Dead Space 2, even though I only have a PC. So far, I've been enjoying myself.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

On the topic of 'Blaming gamers for company mishaps', there was one just recently that really irked me and I wish I could think of it. The game didn't sell well, because it sucked, and the devs cried about it. Crysis comes to mind, though they blamed piracy. That irked me too, as a gamer who loves shooters Crysis was competing with Call of Duty at the time and I just wasn't as interested in Crysis. It looked pretty, but beyond that it just didn't hook me.

Also, the game was marketed as having state-of-the-art graphics that required a decent gaming rig. And in the blink of an eye, WHHOOOOSH! they alientated 60% of their natural market.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Crysis is actually a pretty fun game (lightyears better than CoD if you ask me) but it suffered from A) being marketed as basically a graphical demo or something and B) not really teaching or showing the player how creative you can actually be with the suit.

It would've been far better if it had ditched the stupid story as well and just focused more on general mayhem. And yeah, even though I never felt the game to be particularly terribly optimized (it ran fine on a really piece of crap computer I had) but I mean... Who's gonna want to play Crysis, a game where sooo much of the PR was based on graphics, on a rig where you have to turn down a lot of the goodies?

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I did see some interesting talk about the upcoming "Bulletstorm".

Developers who felt that the FPS genre over the last decade has tended to encourage the careful, stealthy approach, the scrooge effect on your ammunition and bouncing from cover point to cover point... and they wanted to develop something that was pure kick-ass crazy.

So shoot your enemy? that'll net you 10 skill points. Boot kick him over a crate and then shoot him? that's 25. Use a whip to grab him, throw him up to impale on broken rebar, before shooting the explosive barrel under him to torch him as he wriggles.. possibly several hundred..

A game designed around you using your weapons, powers, and the environment to kill the enemy in as amusing a combination as possible to net the most rewards..

I'm curious on how much else it will bring to the table beyond some genral pulp silly fun. :p

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

" Is it because Bioware is guilty of at least fifty percent of those, not least 'making an announcement about an announcement?'"

You are mistaken me for someone who actually cares about companies. if BIO were to go out of business today, I'd shrug my shoulders, chuckle, and I'd look for other games to buy. I wouldn't whine about it for years like some did with BIS or Troika.

I'm not emotionally attached to video game companies. Or customers. Or internet approval.

I support BIO b/c they make games I enjoy even if they aren't perfect. When BIO stops making games I enjoy I will stop buying their games. It's why I didn't buy Sonic RPG.

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

pure kick-ass crazy.

In other words an excuse that "we can't design a proper FPS for the 21th century". That's why Bulletstorm is stuck in the 90s shooter-gallery mentality.

Which is such a welcome change in todays age of lame-ass wannabe Clancy stories, crappy "historical" settings and half-assed cover mechanics. Sadly enough the game seems to feature a somewhat "heavy" narrative but man do I hope it's as easily skippable as it was in Painkiller. I remain sorta pessimistic because designing games around that kind of pure kick-assery that doesn't turn too repetetive is a challenge in itself, but again... Painkiller is one of the most fun shooters I know of, so they definitely have the experience to make something fun.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

pure kick-ass crazy.

In other words an excuse that "we can't design a proper FPS for the 21th century". That's why Bulletstorm is stuck in the 90s shooter-gallery mentality.

For a game I've only just heard of, it sounds more like "an fps that encourages gameplay that's different from all the other ones out there."

Unless your point is that the people of the 21st century all suffer from creativity issues.

Painkiller was such a boring and shallow game, I don't even know where to start. Bulletstorm is basically the same thing, same lame "Yo let's do crazy **** and stuff" approach plus you can kick guys in the nuts and receive XP point for it.

Woooooooooooooooooooooooowwwww!

Seriously, when it comes to really compelling FPS experienes that are worth my time, I go shop at Valve.

" Is it because Bioware is guilty of at least fifty percent of those, not least 'making an announcement about an announcement?'"

You are mistaken me for someone who actually cares about companies. if BIO were to go out of business today, I'd shrug my shoulders, chuckle, and I'd look for other games to buy. I wouldn't whine about it for years like some did with BIS or Troika.

I'm not emotionally attached to video game companies. Or customers. Or internet approval.

I support BIO b/c they make games I enjoy even if they aren't perfect. When BIO stops making games I enjoy I will stop buying their games. It's why I didn't buy Sonic RPG.

R00fles!

I agree with every word said here. Except r00fles.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I was so expecting him to say otherwise, this has shook my world to its core!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This guy is so awesomely naive, I have to quote him
On a first glance, with a tagline like ‘a mom's disapproval has always been an accurate parameter of what is cool’ it looks put together to strike the chords of adolescent males everywhere; but then, it is advertising an M rated game, so this is not the case.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/VictorGont/...s_Marketing.php

I don't think it was naivety, I believe he was subtly pointing out that an M-rated game is not supposed to be targeting adolescent teens with their marketing. His whole article is how some games, and their advertising campaigns, aggressively retard the maturation of the game industry.

I hope we can all agree that the Dead Space 2 campaign of "Your mom hates our game" is one of the dumbest marketing ploys ever. Are there really even adolescents who that appeals to? It's a survival horror game. I don't remember Saw or even Friday the 13th ever having such a stupid marketing campaign.

Edited by Hurlshot

Romero's marketing was and still is the best.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Romero's marketing was and still is the best.

Peter Molyneux would like to have a word with you.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"