RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Maria Caliban

Demon's Souls is awesome though. An old school dungeon crawler with fantastic visuals, atmosphere and sound design.

And pain by the bucket... the brutal kind.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Stacking developer walkthrough: Part 1, Part 2

Reminds me that I need to beat Messiah some day. Never could beat Evil Bob in the end battle >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Piracy sure killed BLOPS' sales.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

54766186.jpg

Regardless, we are still superior! :D

Wonder how accurate these numbers are anyway.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Of course it did, it would sell tons more on PC if it wasn't for piracy.

?? because all those rich pirates out there were just itching to buy this game?

correct me if im wrong but aren't most (ie more than 50%, less, probably, than 90%) pirates unemployed basement dwellers?

I know several people who only pirate, never buy. one works at target, one has never been employed, one has been unemployed for 6 years. these people wouldn't have bought jack **** but they DO pirate 100's of games every year.

I do not know anyone who pirates who also has more money than rent. (i know my anecdotes are scientifically worthless, but so was dagons claim)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Agreed. Definitely not a 1:1, or maybe even 1:10 for every pirated unit, but still, it would sell more. The habitual pirates would have to figure a way for actually paying for their entertainment, which would mean that you could probably get your lawn mowed for less. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Bet you that a percentage of the sales were from people who had pirated the game and bought it later.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I wonder why publishers even care making PC games anymore. If the QA on it is so expensive and the pirating so vivid, why even bother?

Certainly those usual 200-300k unit sales can be neglected in favor of making it console exclusive and thus forcing more gamers onto consoles. Certainly a better decision business wise.

Probably because of piracy; PC games are released way after their console counterparts in a lot of cases. After they have made their profit piracy is just another mean of publicizing their products, some will actually buy the games and others become fans. Which means that they join the initial sales numbers.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

?? because all those rich pirates out there were just itching to buy this game?

correct me if im wrong but aren't most (ie more than 50%, less, probably, than 90%) pirates unemployed basement dwellers?

I know several people who only pirate, never buy. one works at target, one has never been employed, one has been unemployed for 6 years. these people wouldn't have bought jack **** but they DO pirate 100's of games every year.

I do not know anyone who pirates who also has more money than rent. (i know my anecdotes are scientifically worthless, but so was dagons claim)

I know several people that pirate because they can. One is an accountant that makes over $60k a year.