BioWare's New Game

Maria Caliban

no, but I might.

jk. though mass effect 2 is definitely better than 1 (not by a huge margin, but still, definitely better).

in vol speak:

cameos? no. roofles

fan service? impossible. meaningless phrase. roofles

weak plot? yes it was. so was part 1. roofles.

enjoy :p

Cameos:every non consequential character from ME shows up and reminds you of what you did for them. "Hey Shepard, remember me. You help me stop that Hanar from talking about the Enkindlers"

Fan Service: Tali's romance, every girl you helped in the first game wants to jump your bones in the second, dumb down mechanics, just keep in mind that BW listen's to it's fans a little to much.

The only thing that carried over was that Shepard was now the intergalactic James Bond (aka Captain Kirk) romancing every woman he encounters. ME3 will probably be a big intergalactic orgy, Shepard just running around and making out with different species :cross my fingers for a volus romantic interest:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

holy crap.

seriously I just found out something AMAZING.

For anyone whose watched the US office tv show...

Try reading Vol's posts in Dwight Schrute's voice. It's HILARIOUS. The only thing i'm not sure about is how dwight would say "roofles"...

on topic: i actually kind of agree with what vol is saying about ME2's plot (the "plot" is the characters), but I disagree with the comparison to BG 2.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

ME2's plot is the "impending" doom of going on a suicide mission. Impending is just something that don't go well on games since we know we are going to win and apparently so does everybody else.

ME2's plot is that horrible Reaver at the end, it's putting up with hours of cookie cutout characters' back stories.

ME did great on the concept that there was novelty, every species had a whole culture's history backing them up and making them interesting. ME2 did little to add to the Mass Effect universe and the characters; who stand on their own are boorish 90% of the time. If you can describe a whole character in one sentence then your writers probably did a bad job.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

ME2's plot is the "impending" doom of going on a suicide mission. Impending is just something that don't go well on games since we know we are going to win and apparently so does everybody else.

ME2's plot is that horrible Reaver at the end, it's putting up with hours of cookie cutout characters' back stories.

ME did great on the concept that there was novelty, every species had a whole culture's history backing them up and making them interesting. ME2 did little to add to the Mass Effect universe and the characters; who stand on their own are boorish 90% of the time. If you can describe a whole character in one sentence then your writers probably did a bad job.

Well, The thing about ME2 is that it got bitten by the Fable 2 bug. Your entire quest is to find your party then it's "Up you're done sonny! Have an anti-climax!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

"Impending is just something that don't go well on games since we know we are going to win and apparently so does everybody else."

Except you can lose. More than a few people whined about not being able to 'win' at the end. Sure, it's ahrd to lose but it's possible unlike other games.

"ME2's plot is that horrible Reaver at the end"

No, no it isn't. It's a 'twist'; but it certainly isn't the plot.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Anyone else get a Blackhawk Down vibe here?

nope.

we did get a generic space marine vibe.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am not criticizing. bio Never goes fringe or avant-garde with story & setting, so am expecting something... familiar. is not bad to go with familiar stuff... so long as it is done well.

pps changed "rarely" to "Never".

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gritty Cinematic Shooter?

Concept is bleh, but maybe there will be fun in the details.

next gen games don't have details.

Details are too complicated.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm ok with shooters, not my favorite type of game anymore, but I'm interested to see what Bioware can do with it.

I hope they don't make it strictly shooter, as in just guns. I enjoyed ME2 as a Vanguard and Adept the most and I think Bio did a great job implementing force power like mechanics into a shooter style game.

I hope it's not the First Contact War. We'd fight nothing but Turians and then the Council steps in and makes everyone play nice.

But did they say explicitly that it is new IP? A spinoff in the ME universe wouldn't be new IP.

I've not played ME, but the guys who have ID'd the weapon as being from the ME universe. So, unless they're recycling art assets for a new IP (extremely unlikely) then I suspect it's ME-themed.

Actually, despite my animus towards McBio, I think (seriously) they'd make a pretty good MP / MMO type game out of Mass Effect even if it did turn into a wierd emo space-opera-dating-site type affair.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Impending doom was done great in the Myth games. But then, thats a strategy game and the plot allows for everyone of note to kick the bucket if need be.

I wouldn't go out of my way to look for faults in the ME games. They're a casual shooter mixed with a light action RPG. That in itself, is enough to make sure they never make any of my top lists. Along with the new Fallout games and other such bastard children of incompatible genres.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Getting losing paths back in the game could be fun. And by that I mean more than picking the wrong dialogue option at the end of a game and meeting a horrible fate. I'm thinking Wing Commander 3 where instead of reprising Star Wars, you instead get gradually pushed back into (and lose) a battle for Earth. Now that's impending doom.

You don't play half the missions of Wing Commander 1 if all you do is win every mission - all that happens is that you miss out on some better missions. (That said, the Save the Ralari mission would have resulted in close to universal failure - rewarded by 3 extra missions)

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I've not played ME, but the guys who have ID'd the weapon as being from the ME universe. So, unless they're recycling art assets for a new IP (extremely unlikely) then I suspect it's ME-themed.

Actually, despite my animus towards McBio, I think (seriously) they'd make a pretty good MP / MMO type game out of Mass Effect even if it did turn into a wierd emo space-opera-dating-site type affair.

Here's the gun in question: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Incisor

There's similarities, but it's a pretty generic sniper rifle, so it could just be incidental... The honeycomb pattern on the armor is about as distinctive, so we have two possible visual cues relating to ME(2). I'm not really convinced, could go either way (ME spin-off, new IP).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

There's certainly been enough skirmishes in the MEverse to allow for a game or two, including some in the different Shepard origins (the Skyllian Blitz etc.). For some reason, I still have trouble swallowing the idea.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

...and is highering QA...

You need to hire QA.

Spelling Buddy... d020.gif

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Mass Effect = Awesome. More Mass Effect = More Awesome.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "