Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

Knight and Day - As always, Tom Cruise plays his role perfectly. He may be batpoop crazy in real life, but the guy can act. I have a hard time thinking of any bad movie he has been in. Cameron Diaz was a bit meh, but it was still an entertaining flick.

The scene in law-abiding citizen where he argues for his release on bail, wins then berates the judge for her stupidity made that movie worth the price of admission alone.

It seemed like a story with some potential, but it just went stupid about halfway through. If he had actually worked towards bringing the system down, that would be one thing. But it lost me when he started blowing up interns.

^ I see what you're saying, but it seems to me that the whole point of the piece was that he loses it. Jamie Foxx's (why the extra 'X' Jamie, WHY?) character was loathesome, yet we were meant to be rooting for this cynical, over-ambitious, do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do lawyer.

But overall, it didn't work I agree. It just became silly.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Jamie Foxx's (why the extra 'X' Jamie, WHY?)...

Jamie Foxx IMDb profile

While performing as a stand-up comedian, changed his last name to Foxx after one of his favorite comics Redd Foxx and changed his first name to Jamie because it could be a girls name as well. In comedy clubs, female comics often perform before the male comics so when a club manager read his name on the list, he would often be moved up on the list of performers.

Equilibrium.

Christian Bale trying to show emotions --> fail.

What are you talking about? the whole movie was him notshowing emotion.

BTW I would get out of here before he starts talking about music, were I you.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hubby was watching "Knowing" again so I watched a bit of it. Then I remembered it wasn't a particularly good movie, even with the Cage-cheese, so I left the room. I wonder about my husband, sometimes. Then again, it's winter...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sorry if there was a thread about this before but I saw Inception last night. Loved the premise, enjoyed the moving, had a serious WTF moment about the ending.

What is the consensus on what it means? Hey use spoiler tags if you wish. Thanks.

sonsofgygax.JPG

With Inception, it's a personal choice, it was left open-ended on purpose. Someone mentioned the kids were wearing different clothes in the end scene than the earlier memories, and that was enough for me to go with it as a good ending.

I sort of guessed that it was open to interpretation but the bit with the old Japanese guy at the beginning and end confused me, I dig that he was the dude who got shot and that time lags the deeper you go into the levels of the dream (lol what a load of nonsense I'm typing, must have been a cool movie!) but why was he so old and does it impact on the ending.

Also, is Leo's character the only guy in the history of guy-dom who has erotic dreams about his freaking wife? Most of mine involve Monica Bellucci in an air hostess uniform and an inflatable paddling pool full of jello. :lol:

sonsofgygax.JPG

I sort of guessed that it was open to interpretation but the bit with the old Japanese guy at the beginning and end confused me, I dig that he was the dude who got shot and that time lags the deeper you go into the levels of the dream (lol what a load of nonsense I'm typing, must have been a cool movie!) but why was he so old and does it impact on the ending.

Also, is Leo's character the only guy in the history of guy-dom who has erotic dreams about his freaking wife? Most of mine involve Monica Bellucci in an air hostess uniform and an inflatable paddling pool full of jello. :lol:

The idea was that you could enter the subconscious through dreams and that there were levels of conscience in which time passed differently than in real time. This due to the fact that it's thoughts being processed at high speeds. In the deeper levels (limbo) years would pass while only minutes went by in the real world.

Everything has a subconscious representation, in Leo's character his wife had a large space because of the guilt that he felt.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Sure, but why the very old Japanese guy, how did he rescue him and why was he in the same dream level / world as his dead wife? Maybe I missed something.

If you "died" in the dream, you ended up in limbo.. which was basically the subconscious area of coma-ville. The area that's really deep, deep down. So the time difference was vastly greater. Which meant that because the japanese guy had been "killed" on the one dream layer, his mind got cast into limbo.. and in the time it took for Leo's character to get there to show him the way back.. the japanese guy 'lived' another 50 years or so in limbo.. hence, being a really old japanese guy. :lol:

Depending on how you look at it, the dead wife was just the subconscious reflection of Leo's guilt over how things happened. Or an "echo" of his wife left from their time in limbo together.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Sure, but why the very old Japanese guy, how did he rescue him and why was he in the same dream level / world as his dead wife? Maybe I missed something.

Because if you die in a dream you go to limbo where you need to be reminded that you are in a dream. His dead wife was just a representation of the actual dead person(meaning that his subconscious filled limbo with her), although depending on what interpretation of the movie you follow the presence of the wife is subject to change.

Edited by Orogun01

village_idiot.gif

Clash of Titans, because as usual, it was free. I wasn't expecting much, and not much was what I got.

...however, Ralph Fiennes and Liam Neeson both made me LOL several times. It was so campy/terrible, what they had to do/say, you just had to laugh. And of course the giant scorpions made me think of Fallout. "Look, giant radscorpions! Where's my gauss rifle?"

It's such a shame because I still think Sam Worthington is so much better than the 'big US' movies he's been in so far. Hope he gets some better roles at some point.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Clash of Titans, because as usual, it was free. I wasn't expecting much, and not much was what I got.

...however, Ralph Fiennes and Liam Neeson both made me LOL several times. It was so campy/terrible, what they had to do/say, you just had to laugh. And of course the giant scorpions made me think of Fallout. "Look, giant radscorpions! Where's my gauss rifle?"

It's such a shame because I still think Sam Worthington is so much better than the 'big US' movies he's been in so far. Hope he gets some better roles at some point.

What's kind of scary is it's already gotten a sequel in the works.

Of course, the original Clash of the Titans had an amazing cast playing the gods.. and they were terrible. It was amazingly bad. I guess the remake decided to follow in that tradition...

Although I missed the Harryhausen stop-motion animation....

On the upscale, Gemma Arterton was fairly decent. And always nice to look at. :)

Edit: And for the trivia - Worthington's sandals are Nike trainers with toes painted on them; he didn't wear sandals because he needed shoes to perform the stunts well.

Edited by Raithe

Tron Legacy today. My first 3D film. I was underwhelmed by the 3D which I stopped noticing very quickly. I have been watching 2D for years and have this magic trick where I understand the images into 3D IN MY HEAD.

Great visuals though. Particularly the ladies.

tron_legacy.jpg

For the record this is my kind of girl. You know, if anyone sees any going spare.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Someone mentioned the kids were wearing different clothes in the end scene than the earlier memories, and that was enough for me to go with it as a good ending.

They were also different, older actors.

Christian Bale flatlining on the emotion reader and then kicking the bejebus out of everyone else with gun-fu is win though.

Haha, yeah. :(

Edited by Hell Kitty

Great visuals though. Particularly the ladies.

tron_legacy.jpg

For the record this is my kind of girl. You know, if anyone sees any going spare.

And Olivia Wilde is set to appear in a buncha films this year... Apparently she got a lot of work in during that sabattical from "House"...

And on general film news ; With MGM emerging from bankruptcy, they've announced there's going to be a new Bond film coming in 2012... With the potential of doing something special with it being 50 years since Dr No was released.

Equilibrium.

Christian Bale trying to show emotions --> fail.

Christian Bale flatlining on the emotion reader and then kicking the bejebus out of everyone else with gun-fu is win though.

Most of the fight scenes were pretty good, well except for the warehouse where he strikes the pose and they just watch him for 2-3 seconds. Fianlly saw that WH40k movie. Not that bad, animation was decent for what I presume the budget was and the studio. Story for it was kind of meh. That strike cruiser has 12 marines on it, led by the freaking Captain of the 5th Company too.

Also, the bit where they suspect a heretic and it comes down to a guy that somehow survived a fall with a daemon attacking him or a Chaplain was kind of funny in a fluffy sense.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You know the girl who broke my heart? The one who was a dead ringer for her? Do you understand now why I'm such a whiney bitch? ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

You know the girl who broke my heart? The one who was a dead ringer for her? Do you understand now why I'm such a whiney bitch? :thumbsup:

I'm beginning to wonder if we've been talking about the same girl. If so, I apologise in advance for murdering you with a fridge.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.