Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

Just saw my first christmas movie this year:

My god :woot: what a movie. Everyone should see this. Especially the scandos here would appriciate the underlying humor of the everyday life of a bunch of reindeer herders in the middle of nowhere.

Basically, this isn't your traditional "Saint Nicholaus"-santa movie. Noooo no. This movie is based on ancient nordic folklore, namely before christianity came to finland, "father christmas" was a huge horned giant who would come at the end of the year to feast on mortals. The inhabitants of the house would leave gifts in form of milk, bread and honey, in hopes that the Yule Goat(Joulupukki/Santa Claus) would feast on them till the morning and forget to eat the mortals that live in the house.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

My god :lol: what a movie. Everyone should see this. Especially the scandos here would appriciate the underlying humor of the everyday life of a bunch of reindeer herders in the middle of nowhere.

Basically, this isn't your traditional "Saint Nicholaus"-santa movie. Noooo no. This movie is based on ancient nordic folklore, namely before christianity came to finland, "father christmas" was a huge horned giant who would come at the end of the year to feast on mortals. The inhabitants of the house would leave gifts in form of milk, bread and honey, in hopes that the Yule Goat(Joulupukki/Santa Claus) would feast on them till the morning and forget to eat the mortals that live in the house.

Looks wicked! But if thats the jul goat, who was was guy who lives in a mountain in the far north and ate people every day except for one night of the year?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

My god :lol: what a movie. Everyone should see this. Especially the scandos here would appriciate the underlying humor of the everyday life of a bunch of reindeer herders in the middle of nowhere.

Looks wicked! But if thats the jul goat, who was was guy who lives in a mountain in the far north and ate people every day except for one night of the year?

That reminds me that I need to find Dead Snow some day. Amazon probably has it.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Apocalypse Now (original 1979 version) on Blu-ray. Astounding stuff, considering the age of the movie (it was one of the two initial surround movies along with Star Wars). Coppola's restoration project's had amazing results, the release is amazing both visually and aurally. Instead of boosting "what you see" on screen, the surround channels are extensively used to show you the stuff you CAN'T see, really placing you in the middle of the action. I can't remember being this impressed by an audio track in a movie since my initial surround experiences. :lol:

Five stars and two thumbs up.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Watch the movie and you'll find out o:)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Tourist - Johnny Depp as a slightly bumbling maths teacher from wisconsin, acting like a rube on holiday getting picked up by femme fatale Angelina Jolie to distract the cops and criminals following her to find her lover who stole x billion dollars and got facial reconstruction... While Paul Bettany's obsessive detective and Steven Birkhoff's mad crime lord chewing the scenery on occasion..

Lots of pretty visuals of Venice, and an equal amount of screen time of the leads... Starts off kind of thrillerish, turns into a sense of romantic melancholy, then speeds up into something that actually had me chuckling slightly. Throw in a couple of twists and turns most of which you'll probably see coming a few minutes beforehand.

Depp actually manages to convey the idea that he's out of his depth for most of the movie, while Angelina does seem to rely more on looking good for the camera then delivering some slightly ropey dialogue.

But generally an amusing enough film for what it is.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just wasted a Saturday afternoon watching the Island. Urge to go drive a Cadillac, drinking a Michelob's with my Puma encased feet on the gas pedal as I drive to get an Xbox.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Mentioned in the What you did today thread. Saw Tron Legacy. Excellent.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Saw the 1st two, so I watched Twilight:Eclipse. At the 1 hour mark I paused the movie to get some water and thought "omg there's still another hour left to go?" Toughed it out and even the big fight at the end had me snoring....the first film was ok for a teen-romance-angst story, the 2nd was silly, but the 3rd is neither ok or particularly silly, just boring. But the actor who plays Bella's father - Billy Burke - is a riot. I like him.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tron Legacy.

It's bright, it's shiny, it's fairly fun. Olivia Wilde looks good in it.. :shifty:

The "young" Jeff Bridges looks very smooth in it, a nice use of computers. I guess we can start expecting to see more things like that happen in films now...

Generally it's entertaining..but I don't know.. part of the trouble is you're expecting this nice update on the world inside a computer, some references to the internet and such... but the whole thing takes place only in this single closed system that has no outside access.

Heh, the old Tron 2.0 game showed one view of how things would have changed and I guess I was hoping to see the film's take on that shift in progress..but you didn't really get that.

Still, enjoyable for what it is, and it did push various nostalgia buttons.

HBO's been playing a lot of films, lately, that I sorta wanted to check out but was unwilling to pay for (even rental price).

So I watched The Fourth Kind. On the one hand, it does have a nice creepy atmosphere on several occasions & has Will Patton hamming it up as the town Sheriff. On the other hand, it's a terrible movie with some really annoying split screen tactics.

Then I watched Fantastic Mr. Fox. Sure it got rave reviews but I still wasn't sure I'd like it. It was cute/charming. I might have liked it more if George Clooney wasn't the voice actor. Too recognizable and for me didn't fit Mr. Fox's animation/chr.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I'm so sorry. There is a support group for that, though, if it helps.

I've seen...

Knight & Day The critics hated it but I kinda liked it in a strange way. It's got a bit of an identity crisis going on, is it a black comedy a genre satire or a comedy-thriller? It's none and all of them and suffers as a result. Having said that, Cruise is actually a gifted comic actor and clearly enjoys sending up his action hero / Mission Impossible persona. Cameron Diaz is a 21st Century Goldie Hawn, and very good at it too.

There is one laugh-out loud scene which, had the directors chosen to be a bit darker, shows what the movie might have been.

In any case, a confused popcorn movie which was a reasonably amusing way of killing a couple of hours.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Nothing special, but a watchable fantasy/magic adventure with nerd flavor. If you like Nick Cage cheesing it up in his good way, it's kind of a small delight. The effects were pleasant and it didn't take itself seriously. Plus the "bad" guys, there's this one tiny bit where they're poking fun at (or doing homage to, take your pick) a famous scene from Star Wars, that had me ROFL. Being a Disney movie, another scene that was ripped from one of their famous old cartoon films was also rather priceless, at least to me.

Centurion- Despite of the reviews I enjoyed this film, probably the one version of the story of the 9th Legion I've liked the most.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Tron was good, albeit a little silly. And why in the hell didn't

the old man just do his magic bit earlier if he was already convinced he was never gonna make it out? Why wait until the last possible moment?

The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Nothing special, but a watchable fantasy/magic adventure with nerd flavor. If you like Nick Cage cheesing it up in his good way, it's kind of a small delight. The effects were pleasant and it didn't take itself seriously. Plus the "bad" guys, there's this one tiny bit where they're poking fun at (or doing homage to, take your pick) a famous scene from Star Wars, that had me ROFL. Being a Disney movie, another scene that was ripped from one of their famous old cartoon films was also rather priceless, at least to me.

I actually liked this quite a bit more than I thought I would...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Pulp Fiction. Had forgotten how great a movie it is.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Got caught with a random tv film of the season "Santa Suit".

What caught me by surprise is that Kevin Sorbo, when he isn't having fun hamming it up in space-opera/mythic fantasy style roles, is actually quite a damned good actor. I mean, he's normally entertaining in those sorts of roles, but seeing him play something totally straight, fairly restrained and with the wide emotional range... I don't know why but I never really expected that.

Free on HBO, so what the heck, I'll try Transformers2.

....15 minutes later, I turned it off. Even if it gets a bit better later, not worth my time. What a mess.

I also re-watched Terminator Salvation. I really would have liked it better if someone else had played John Connor. Bale was not right for that role. I'd also like to see Worthington in some more dramatic roles or something, but I suppose he's now stuck forever playing action roles. I see he's slated to be in the remake of Commando. Hm.

The LIves of Others

Film about the Stasi, and one couple in particular. Kind of reminds me of being a mod. Five stars.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.