AAAHHHHHHH

I don't like Steam either...and I have tried it. Mostly because I don't feel like I own the game & I'm too old fashioned to get into this new tech age way of doing things I guess. It feels restrictive, somehow.

But I may have to reinstall it/start using it occasionally simply because it's becoming harder & harder to find the more obscure/low budget or older games I might have missed, cause they're all on Steam (or it's competitors). hahah

...but it'll never be my primary way of purchasing games. Bah humbug. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't buy games that use Steam or whatever download nonsense they use. I like having a physical copy of CD or DVD.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Nope no such luck. If it doesn't have the complete game on CD/DVD, no sale.

Well I do have Half Life 2 but I bought that because I didn't read the fine print on the box.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Well I do have Half Life 2 but I bought that because I didn't read the fine print on the box.

The Orange Box got me that way too. Now I make sure to look at that fine print, lol. And if it's a DL only game, I'd rather direct download it from the company site or whatnot, over using Steam. So I'll pre-order Grim Dawn to be able to do that.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The complete game is on the CD/DVD.

Edited by Thorton_AP

I personally am a proponent of steam because not only does it let you have a digital inventory of your games and stupidly good deals (60% off Mass Effect 2 last week) but they also intigrated the social aspect of gaming into the system that allows you to pull up an overlay and chat with people when you're waiting for something to happen. And annoy the crap out of Dereladin by spamming him L4D invites along with 7 other people.

Hah! You only managed 3 people last time around! You're getting too slow.

FNV will be the first Obsidian game, and Civ 5 the first Firaxis (PC) games I won't buy, both because of Steamworks.

Can't say I'm particularly worried about either, I have far more games I want to play than I have time to play them, so it's just money saved.

I didn't know about this Steam bull**** in NV. That's one less disbursement I have to plan for, then.

I guess rant threads may have a purpose. Even if that purpose is only tangential to the subject, if at all.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I don't buy games that use Steam or whatever download nonsense they use. I like having a physical copy of CD or DVD.

I definitely lean the same way, and prefer the disc, but I have found it to be, that (as a very close second) I'm okay with just the ability to install on demand.

Steam does this also, but you are still forced to ask them to allow you to install what is supposed to be yours (though that's not likely how the publisher sees it).

IMO steam is [so far] the best ~by default

(Certainly better than say... The DRM EA used on Mirrors Edge; that essentially calls you a thief unless told otherwise).

By far the DRM-less installer on one particular sight has recently become my favorite, and I don't miss the CD for any title that I've bought there...

(but they won't have any new releases).

I don't buy anything that requires Steam, but I've sort of fallen in love with gamersgate. Probably because the downloads don't require installing any proprietary software. Not to mention that they have a boat load of games, I've never heard of, much less seen in retail stores. Went on a spending spree yesterday as 1C (a publisher) games were at a 75% discount. They warn you too, in big bold letters when looking at the new Ubisoft titles, requires permanent online connection to play, so at least you get a warning before you buy, no nasty surprises after a completed transaction ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's Steamworks, you can buy it retail/ DVD and (theoretically at least) it will install completely from there up until it gets to the mandatory online verification/ downloading of updates.

Went on a spending spree yesterday as 1C (a publisher) games were at a 75% discount.

The only complaint I have with Gamersgate is that I can't buy with my UK credit card, only my NZ one. There's a bunch of games in that sale (MoWs, KBAP, SR2:R) I'd be all over if they did. I'd probably even buy King's Bounty: The Legend again.

Edited by Zoraptor

that would be 1st bethesda game, so unless you give me source...

http://planetfallout.gamespy.com/articles/...w-Vegas-Steamin

-1 sale then...

-2, at very least.

-3. I like OE, but I got limits.

Another example of the pirate getting the better package I guess. Such a shame...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Another example of the pirate getting the better package I guess. Such a shame...

I think better in this instance is a matter of priorities. As much as I don't like Steam, this is a positive for some people. Pirates are getting a different package.

this is a positive for some people.

You mean stockholders?

People who want it on Steam get it from Steam. People who DON'T want it from Steam buy a box. Making the box use Steam kind of defies having a physical copy in the first place.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I don't buy anything that requires Steam, but I've sort of fallen in love with gamersgate. Probably because the downloads don't require installing any proprietary software.

Does that mean there's no installing any software beyond the game file itself, or is it like GOG.com?

Either way, I could handle that...a lot better than Steam.

Edited by LadyCrimson

So all you anti-Steam people are happy with dozens of boxes cluttering up your room?

I sleep with those boxes and enjoy their cold cardboard touch on my skin.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

So all you anti-Steam people are happy with dozens of boxes cluttering up your room?

yes

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours