Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

I'm in luv w/Cillian Murphy. Noticed him in 28 Days Later then forgot about him until Red Eye. Now he's more US mainstream I guess.

Trying to catch up with some of his early/indie films. The heavy Irish brogues are sometimes difficult for me tho.

Try 'Sunshine' by Danny Boyle, it has some great music, characters and visuals.

Edited by Serrano

The Station Agent. Lovely little slice of life/chr. film from 2003. Peter Dinklage is awesome. The ending could have been a little stronger, but perhaps I only felt that way because I wanted the movie to keep going.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Expendables. Greenlight the sequel already, because that was pretty ****ing awesome.

There was nothing new, nor original about it, but it seemed to play out perfectly.

And it never hurts to see Charisma Carpenter again.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Rambo - Talk about hardcore violence. And, despite his age, Stallone pulled off the character as awesomely as ever. It was believeable... well, a sbelieveable as over the top action of small number of people against a large group can be. The massacre scene, quite honestly, was tough to watch and I don't say that often.

Children of Men - Outside of the main hero's death at the end which was obvious gonna to happen, this was a movie that threw some nice surprises including a certain character's death near the beginning of the movie. This is how a dark movie should be. Good stuff, overall.

Camp Rock 2 - Meh. First one was better.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

And hey, sometimes it's fun to sit back and watch a film that's light family entertainment..even if it's geared to kids.

I mean, who hasn't gone back and re-watched The Goonies or the like, even if they're heading off into the far side of "adulthood"? :ermm:

Which was something I saw a little bit ago, and had the dvd commentary going for it.. which was entertaining. They actually had video of the gathered group of goonies and director chatting away up in the corner of the screen as the film played and there was some amusing chat and rememberances over it all...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Repo Men - really over the top/ridiculous action/violence but with too many points where action/story lagged. Interesting premise, but not a great overall package. The ending ticked me off, too.

The Lovely Bones - Never heard of/read the book or even the movie before I watched it. Liked the parts dealing w/the family & creepy neighbor & the attempted theme of hope/moving on in face of tragedy, but the parts frolicking around in a childlike purgatory were boring, if well animated. The resolution felt unsatisfying, too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thread pruned a bit. Lets try without the insults, implied or otherwise.

On a completely unrelated and on-topic note, I watched 'Waterworld'. Call me weird, but I like that movie and never understood all the bad press it seemed to have gotten.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Tapeheads. 1988

It's a very bad film. But it has moments of cool, and a couple of laughs. My favourite aspect has to be the self-referential spoofing. All in, it's definitely a watcher if you don't mind rough edges. You know, if you're the sort of chap who makes love in the back of a moving pickup.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"I watched 'Waterworld'. Call me weird, but I like that movie and never understood all the bad press it seemed to have gotten."

Agreed. Fun epic movie. Then again, I liked The Postman too.. :lol:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Expendables.

Wow, getting so many A list and B movie stars to phone it in, I just didn't think it possible. I didn't even stick around for the ending. The scene with Arnold was bizarre, were they even in the same room, or did they blue screen it.....

What little there was of Dolph Lundgren was the highlight, but he's dead now, so the sequel can go suck eggs.

The scenes with Rourke and Stallone were pretty funny though, they are some of Hollywood's worst mumblers. You were constantly doing a mental 'What ?, speak up man !'

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Expendables.

[...] I didn't even stick around for the ending.

Was that because you had to rush to get somewhere else, or because you didn't like the movie?

I admit seeing all those action ppl in one film would amuse me, but so far the movie itself has no see-it appeal. Maybe when it comes to Netflix. :lol:

Since I figured out Netflix likes my XP pc better than my Win7 PC (dunno why), I was finally able to watch all of the BBC series "The Human Face" (John Cleese hosts). It was quite interesting. I have no idea about scientific accuracy vs. mumbo jumbo theories, but it was still fascinating to hear about symmetry affecting athlete speed & 'beauty' ratio (1:1.6 or something like that) and see the line 'mask' drawing that one guy thinks is a fit over every face that most humans regard as aesthetically pleasing, even when their overall features make them look very different from each other.

Specific beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no doubt, but at the same time, there's probably (instinctive? biological? evolutionary?) reasons why "beauty," or at least symmetry, is so compelling to us.

Prince of Persia. Never played the game so I don't know how accurate it was but I'm sure it probably had nothing to do with the game other than name only and the guy jumping all over the place. Also, Sherlock Holmes. Both movies weren't bad but they weren't exactly great either. Since I saw them on a plane and were free, I guess they were okay.

First the "Genre Movie" pastiches keep being successful, now the Resident Evil movies? I think I'll go cry in a corner.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Since I figured out Netflix likes my XP pc better than my Win7 PC (dunno why), I was finally able to watch all of the BBC series "The Human Face" (John Cleese hosts). It was quite interesting. I have no idea about scientific accuracy vs. mumbo jumbo theories, but it was still fascinating to hear about symmetry affecting athlete speed & 'beauty' ratio (1:1.6 or something like that) and see the line 'mask' drawing that one guy thinks is a fit over every face that most humans regard as aesthetically pleasing, even when their overall features make them look very different from each other.

Specific beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no doubt, but at the same time, there's probably (instinctive? biological? evolutionary?) reasons why "beauty," or at least symmetry, is so compelling to us.

Symmetry means genes are firing clean, and no parasites, well fed etc.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.