Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

Saw Serenity. I've seen it twice now, not sure what to make of it. Sort of redundant if you've seen Firefly, not sure if it would be any fun to watch if you haven't.

I saw Serenity before I'd seen Firefly. I loved the movie. At first I loved it so much that when I tried to watch Firefly, I didn't like it all. Don't ask me why, I'm not sure I know. I did finally buy the whole series and after watching it a couple times, I've come to appreciate it more - particularly a few certain episodes - but I still like the movie better. Guess it's the chicken & the egg reaction.

I loved Serenity, except for that one part near the end, when that thing that should never have happened, happened.

Yeah, even having never seen the series, that scene really threw me for a loop. I didn't like it. :/

....I watched 'The Time Traveler's Wife' on HBO, because I could. For most of the film I was thinking "what silly hogwash" and was kind of bored/confused. But then the end of the movie was so emotionally manipulative that I found myself sniffling a little. I wouldn't call it a good movie, but I guess it did its job at the end. ;p

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Wow, Alien 3 Extended Cut is an altogether different movie compared to the release version. Not sure which one I like more though.

The extended cut makes the movie have much more sense/coherency. Let those who hate Alien 3 hate it, I liked it (the extended version).

I'm a slight fanboy of that director. He's the guy behind Fight Club and Seven! So I take him at his word when he hurls insults at Fox.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I loved Serenity, except for that one part near the end, when that thing that should never have happened, happened.

Yeah, even having never seen the series, that scene really threw me for a loop. I didn't like it. :/

Somebody throw me a torch here?... :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

One of the main characters is killed suddenly and unexpectedly near the end of the movie. Personally I think it was well done, it took away the safety net for the other characters and the ending was more tense because of it. Serenity had a lot of good things about it but I think the way they handled the last half hour or so and how they dealt with the antagonist was just about perfect

. Such a shame the show got cancelled so quickly.

Edited by Serrano

One of the main characters is killed suddenly and unexpectedly near the end of the movie. Personally I think it was well done, it took away the safety net for the other characters and the ending was more tense because of it. Serenity had a lot of good things about it but I think the way they handled the last half hour or so and how they dealt with the antagonist was just about perfect

. Such a shame the show got cancelled so quickly.

Ah, "that".

Probably part of what made it different. This isn't Star Trek :p

I really need to find Blakes 7 (the only thing that even remotely reminds me of Firefly, sort of it's darker and more cynical cousin) some day... Amazon has had the 20 disc set listed as unavailable for so long now :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Probably part of what made it different. This isn't Star Trek :p
Uh, main characters died in Star Trek too. Admittedly not in all of them, but still.

Who?

Last time I checked, Kirk, Scotty, Spock etc. were all alive and kicking in the movies :thumbsup:

Both Kirk and Spock died in one movie or another.

There was Jadzia Dax too.

And all those time traveling, alternative universe and replaced-by-a-clone stories, but meh, cop out.

Don't remember anybody name Dax, but Kirk and Spock? Damn you Hollywood :p

Spock doesn't really count, does he? He came back in the sequel :thumbsup:

Edit to add: I've only seen the first 3 movies + one involving Picard and Borg (don't remember the title name).

Dax:

Looks like she has a skin condition? :huh:

Anyway, it's possible they killed off characters later. Just don't remember seeing them do it in the original series/first few movies :)

I completely agree. It was very well done, and it did make the last bit that much better, and as much as anything else, made me want more post-Serenity stuff. I knew absolutely nothing about the show before I saw Serenity; I only ever picked it up based on a friend's recommendation, and there I was, thrown for a loop like LadyCrimson, yelling at the screen, "What??? NO!" after 90 or so minutes in the Firefly universe. :huh:

It should not have happened.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Anyway, it's possible they killed off characters later. Just don't remember seeing them do it in the original series/first few movies

Well, they did kill them in the original series very occasionally - like Spectre of the Gun, Shore Leave - but it was always "fixed" at the end by some super-being or a stupid explanation or whatnot, so....

Looks like she has a skin condition?

Dax is another in the long line of Star Trek aliens who are completely human in appearance except for nose ridges, pointy ears...or body tattoos. :huh:

...which reminds me, a friend supposedly saw Wesley dieing in it.

Eh? He wasn't in First Contact at all. I think he had a cameo bit in Nemesis during the wedding scene. IIRC there was also an early Q episode in the series where Wesley was killed by monsters that Q created to tempt Riker into becoming a Q.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

...which reminds me, a friend supposedly saw Wesley dieing in it.

Eh? He wasn't in First Contact at all. I think he had a cameo bit in Nemesis during the wedding scene. IIRC there was also an early Q episode in the series where Wesley was killed by monsters that Q created to tempt Riker into becoming a Q.

He said it happened when they fought on the hull of the ship. (There was a scene like that, right? Haven't seen the film in ages.)

Well, he didn't even know the guy's name, so he prolly confused him with someone else.

The hull walking scene had Lt. Hawk being assimilated & than shot. I guess in a space helmet he could be confused a little with Wil Wheaton. A little. :huh:

...I am such a ST goober.

Finally got around to seeing Max Payne.

I highly recommend you all watch it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You are a sadistic person. :ermm:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You are a sadistic person. >_<

And you are hereby on my "do not listen to movie-advice" list. :)

Seriously, Max Payne was a horrible horrible film! Play the game instead.

Fortune favors the bald.

Damn, my evil plan to make some of you suffer has failed. The movie is somewhat comedic at times, the tattoo artist having a book of Norse mythology handy, the "Get the C4!" line for examples.

Funny how a movie based on a game that had a well laid out story could end up as such junk.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm not being crabby for the sake of it, but re-making True Grit?

That's answering a question nobody asked.

John Wayne leaves me unmoved normally, but that's an almost perfect movie. I love Jeff Bridges to bits, and he'll do a good job I'm sure but he's not filling those boots anytime soon.

sonsofgygax.JPG