Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

I tried to watch Ponyo. Some nice animation, which is to be expected from Hayao Miyazaki, but I couldn't get past the first half. Not because it was terrible or anything...just not my kind of thing. :/

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Dear Zachary.

Jesus I think it broke my soul. If anyone wants a mental ass kicking, rent this.

Righto, squire. *squares shoulders*

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Just for the general SyFy cheese factor..

The Immortal Voyage of Captain Drake.

Adrian Paul (of Highlander the tv series fame) playing Captain Francis Drake dragooned into a "hunt for the tree of life" quest by the kidnapping of his daughter..

(and for the random here, I have to say, for a guy who turned 50 last year, he still looks like he did in Highlander...)

with Temuera Morrison (prequel Jango Fet/Clonetrooper fame) having fun as the evil spaniard chasing him...

Throw in some cgi ship fighting, and a dose of "monsters" .. cheesy fun if you can deal with the budgetness of it all... :brows:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

G.I. Joe. (It was on TV).

Dear Lord it was bad. Almost Avengers/League of Extraordinary Gentlemen lousy, only saved from that eternal pit of damnation by the ridiculously hot Sienna Miller and Rachel Nichols + the Deus Ex Invisible Warry nanite effect.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I liked GI Joe. I thought the special effects were top notch.

... I can't remember when I've last seen CGI that fake... But I won't ruin it for you, then. :p

I liked GI Joe. I thought the special effects were top notch and the acting was serviceable.

I agree.

The movie was fun. I thought the ending was bad (the very end), but everything up to that was my childhood with less colored lasers.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I actually had to go read a review from a site I generally trust, and even they were a lot more forgiving than I was. My issues weren't so much with what would be called 'effects', than with places where, say helicopters or an epic bumper on a Hummer were painfully obvious CGI.

At least the reviewer agreed with me on the abysmal acting so I don't need to wonder about somebody pumping hallucinogens into my water. :p

Ah, reading further on in the blu-ray.com review: 'About the only complaint is that a few of the effects shots look rather fake, particularly under the 1080p spotlight[...]'

I was watching it in 1080i, but I guess some other source would have made them less blatantly obvious...

Edited by Nepenthe

It looked fine as 1080p for me. He watched it in interlaced.

If you want really bad effects, watch Mortal Kombat Annihilation.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It looked fine as 1080p for me. He watched it in interlaced.

If you want really bad effects, watch Mortal Kombat Annihilation.

Well, I did praise the nanite effect. I just think that it's unforgivable to use bad cgi for something that can be done with practical effects for little trouble (aforementioned bumper, helicopters).

In fact, I was raging a while back on the topic of when it became acceptable to use ultra fake-looking cgi helicopters instead of the real thing. I mean, if miniatures look better than your cgi, clearly something has gone horribly wrong!

lars and the real girl

hadn't read any reviews or anything, and from the general premise i thought it was going to be a comedy, yet it was actually quite a sad movie

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

A filmed around the stage version of Pirates of Penzance.. The Essgee Pirates of Australian fame...

And Jon English as the Pirate King really pulled out the stops enjoying himself on stage, really playing up to the audience.. and then the conductor has fun making him go through 6 encores for "With Catlike Tread"....

If you like Gilbert & Sullivan, it'll amuse and entertain.

If you don't.. shame on you uncultured heathens. :thumbsup:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Four-Lions-Poster.jpg

Four Lions tells the story of a group of British jihadists who push their abstract dreams of glory to the breaking point. As the wheels fly off, and their competing ideologies clash, what emerges is an emotionally engaging (and entirely plausible) farce. In a storm of razor-sharp verbal jousting and large-scale set pieces, Four Lions is a comic tour de force; it shows that-while terrorism is about ideology-it can also be about idiots.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1341167/

This is the funniest film Ive seen in years. Absolutely brilliant!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Im still dropping hints about Four Lions to my friends. :thumbsup:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ah yes, Four Lions. Was really cool.

Right now I'm re-watching all four Alien movies as Extended cut versions.

Ahh, that brings me back to my childhood.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Wow, Alien 3 Extended Cut is an altogether different movie compared to the release version. Not sure which one I like more though.

The extended cut makes the movie have much more sense/coherency. Let those who hate Alien 3 hate it, I liked it (the extended version).

Saw Serenity. I've seen it twice now, not sure what to make of it. Sort of redundant if you've seen Firefly, not sure if it would be any fun to watch if you haven't. I should dust off my Firefly boxed set and get watching from episode 1 again.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Wow, Alien 3 Extended Cut is an altogether different movie compared to the release version. Not sure which one I like more though.

The extended cut makes the movie have much more sense/coherency. Let those who hate Alien 3 hate it, I liked it (the extended version).

Saw Serenity. I've seen it twice now, not sure what to make of it. Sort of redundant if you've seen Firefly, not sure if it would be any fun to watch if you haven't. I should dust off my Firefly boxed set and get watching from episode 1 again.

The Firefly box set should never collect dust in the first place ;)

I loved Serenity, except for that one part near the end, when that thing that should never have happened, happened. I saw Serenity before ever watching the TV show, and in most cases that would have spoiled me, but not in Firefly's case. It is pure awesomeness from beginning to end.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Guest The Architect

The Hangover. For the first time.

"What the ****, you've never seen The Hangover before!?"

Seems to be a common reaction.

Was really funny all the way through. Glad I watched it.