Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

'The Island'

Nice uncomplicated entertainment to kill an hour or two with.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Scott Pilgrim vs The Word

I enjoyed it. The audience - which was larger than I expected given what I'd heard of its dismal showing this weekend - laughed a lot and seemed to enjoy it.

I grinned so much my face hurt. The nods to classic video games is pretty hilarious.

I have not read the comics, so can't make any comparison, but the movie felt like it managed to juggle an insanely large cast of relatively main characters without making me lose sense of the main story.

Good stuff and well worth seeing on the big screen.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Every time I see Milla Jovovich in some other movie, I always have to remind myself "Wasn't she in Fifth Element?" I guess without the orange hair she looks so different to me. Her eyes are distinctive/memorable tho.

Also, I kinda want to see Resident Evil: Afterlife. In 3D. I'm not sure why, but I do. Looks visually cool & wondering what an action-horror film in 3D would be like I guess.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Jovovich is the only reason I didn't walk out on the last Resident Evil movie. Extinction, I think?

It was so bloody awful. I've never even considered walking out on a movie before. Someone'll have to put a gun to my head to get me to see Afterlife.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Expendables is the greatest display of badassery any individual or group thereof has ever committed to film...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Jovovich is the only reason I didn't walk out on the last Resident Evil movie. Extinction, I think?

It was so bloody awful. I've never even considered walking out on a movie before. Someone'll have to put a gun to my head to get me to see Afterlife.

I thought Extinction was the best out of the three which says a lot of what I thought about the previous two. :lol:

I actually liked the previous two. For different reasons. The one was decent in its own right. Two was decent for a very very awkward straight adaption of the third game.

I thought that parts of RE2 were quite well done actually, especially the ending. The William Burkin ripoff was a horrible idea, I think most of what worked well in the movies were things that they invented themselves. Almost everything they took or homaged from the games turned out to be a bit of a disaster and I expect that Wesker will be the worst thing in the entire series. Sienna Miller in this outfit more than made up for all of it though :rolleyes:

jill-valentine.jpg

Edited by Serrano

For the record, I found the 1st RE to be watchable but nothing that great. My spouse, who doesn't like horror movies that much, thought it 'wasn't too bad' - which means he found it tolerable.

Haven't seen the 2nd, and I caught the 3rd on cable. I remember the beginning but can't recall if I watched it all or if I turned it off. Haven't played the games either. Yet I still kinda want to see the new film. :o

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sienna Miller in this outfit more than made up for all of it though :o

jill-valentine.jpg

Sienna Guillory. Sienna Miller played The Baroness.

Expendables is the greatest display of badassery any individual or group thereof has ever committed to film...

Even more so than the recent Rambo? I don't think that is possible...

Rambo was indeed rather epic, but this... No words. Just sheer jaw-dropping "hell yes" moments, on loop.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I watched the new Sherlock Holmes this weekend and was not that impressed. Sure, it was an interesting, if somewhat unfaithful, take on the novels, but I'd rather watch the Granada versions staring Jeremy Brett (the definitive, at least so far, Holmes in my mind).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

It's more of a TV movie, but I just wanted to talk about The Deep.

After only 30 minutes of watching I hate almost everyone on board except the bad guy. This leads me to believe that in modern cultural terms I am a bad guy because:

- I have a sense of duty

- I am capable of making unemotional decisions in a crisis

- I actually do my job

Viz: I don't make wise cracks about colourful squid when someone is trying to avoid boiling to death

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Obligatory Meet the spartans style Twilight parody: Vampires suck

/deadpan Oh no. My sides are bursting. Ha. Ha.

Okay, I'll be fair, two jokes managed to make me smirk.

Edited by Oner

I watched the new Sherlock Holmes this weekend and was not that impressed. Sure, it was an interesting, if somewhat unfaithful, take on the novels, but I'd rather watch the Granada versions staring Jeremy Brett (the definitive, at least so far, Holmes in my mind).

Which one we talking about here? BBC short series or the movie w/ RDJr?

Yesterday I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Slightly older movie, but it was very enjoyable. I must say, it's a very sharp piece of film making. Also, got to give credit to Robert Downey as the lead man, and to Val Kilmer as well.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Which one we talking about here? BBC short series or the movie w/ RDJr?

I was talking about the 2009 movie. Didn't now there was another BBC series after the Granada one though, thanks for the heads up! :sorcerer:

Hogfather

based on the Terry Pratchett Discworld story, and quite well done i felt

Yep, it's a good film. :shifty:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot